Pilut Back to Amerks

Brawndo

I continue to say that Pilut is, or could be, a top 4 D-man.  Figures they would send him to Rochester and give playing time to much less worthy candidates.  

I realize it is hard to shop guys for trades if they aren't playing, but still...

This team better be unrecognizable after this trade deadline and this coming off-season.

20 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I continue to say that Pilut is, or could be, a top 4 D-man.  Figures they would send him to Rochester and give playing time to much less worthy candidates.  

I realize it is hard to shop guys for trades if they aren't playing, but still...

This team better be unrecognizable after this trade deadline and this coming off-season.

I worry about Pilut as a top 4 d-man.  I can’t get past his tiny size and think of him not holding up during playoff hockey.  I see him as a #7 that can provide spot help during the season.  

You want to trade Bogo at the deadline?  Then he should get some ice.  Some team will need some kind of help.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I worry about Pilut as a top 4 d-man.  I can’t get past his tiny size and think of him not holding up during playoff hockey.  I see him as a #7 that can provide spot help during the season.  

You want to trade Bogo at the deadline?  Then he should get some ice.  Some team will need some kind of help.  

I totally understand this concern, but there are D his size who are able to play top-4 and be successful in the playoffs.  Sami Vatanen, Jared Spurgeon, Ryan Ellis, Torey Krug, Kris Russell.

I honestly think it’s more likely that Pilot is a guy you want playing 17:00-19:00 than someone you want playing 20:00+, but I think he can be a useful NHL player.

Edited by Curt

Sometimes these moves are in name only to lessen the salary cap ramifications and the player actually never leaves the team, which I would assume is the case with Pilut?  I like Pilut and think he will be a good NHL defenseman once he is here full time and they clear this log jam

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Sometimes these moves are in name only to lessen the salary cap ramifications and the player actually never leaves the team, which I would assume is the case with Pilut?  I like Pilut and think he will be a good NHL defenseman once he is here full time and they clear this log jam

They have so much money on LTIR right now that it's next to impossible for them to be saving any cap dollars with moves like this.  I wouldn't be surprised if they need to play some of these games to keep the team under the roster limit on certain days.  They've have a lot of bodies when you add in the 3 guys on IR.  Or it could be something so simple as wanting him to play against the Marlies.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

They have so much money on LTIR right now that it's next to impossible for them to be saving any cap dollars with moves like this.  I wouldn't be surprised if they need to play some of these games to keep the team under the roster limit on certain days.  They've have a lot of bodies when you add in the 3 guys on IR.  Or it could be something so simple as wanting him to play against the Marlies.

I thought LTIR doesn't count towards the cap tho?

29 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I thought LTIR doesn't count towards the cap tho?

It does count, but they're allowed to go over the cap by the amount of money that is on LTIR.  You don't get to bank any of that overage though, so it's a "use it or lose it" type scenario.  They'd have to drop their payroll all the way below the original cap if they wanted to bank any cap space.  Sending Pilut down to Rochester would not accomplish that.

I hope that's clear.  I suck at explaining this stuff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.