A: 75 (.30a/gm) Sam higher .03

P: 140 (.56p/gm) Sam higher .01

Current Contract

2 years, 7.3 million (4.59% of cap)

GM: 136

G: 41 (.30g/gm) Marchand higher .03 

A: 68 (.50a/gm) Sam higher .15

P: 109 (.80p/gm) Sam higher .12

Comparing the beginnings of their career, Sam Reinhart has more or less matched or outperform Marchand in basic counting stats. If Sam gets a comparable extension to Marchand, he would be looking at a 4 year, 6.39 million contract. Considering Sam put is putting up 12% more points than Marchand was, a 4 year, 7 million dollar contract seems pretty reasonable. Now, if Sam is willing to sign that for 8 years, why wouldn’t anyone do that?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Does Reinhart have the total implosion of franchises on his CV?

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. Do you believe Reinhart is responsible for the state of the franchise?

Edited by #freejame

30 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Marchand is a much, much better player than Reino.

But I would be fine with giving Reino $7MM per year x 7 years.

I would agree. But Marchand is also what, 7-8 years older than Sam, with many more seasons under his belt?

Its still possible Sam elevates other parts of his game & as he gets older takes on more of a leadership role wherever he plays.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Comparing Sam with Marchand is mindboggling to me. 

Someone said they wished we could sign him to a contract like Marchand’s. This shows Sam has provided more value than Marchand did at the time of his third contract and will likely be paid at a higher percentage of cap. You’re comparing one player who is currently in his prime to one player who is not. Of course Marchand is better now, he’s directly in his prime. Reinhart is not in his prime yet.

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Marchand's career trajectory is pretty fascinating.

I had some fun doing this as well, if anyone has other players who they’d like to see this for I’d be happy to post more players here as well. I think this also works for my prime age argument in the other thread. When I get a chance I will put Marchand’s ages for each contract in the OP.

3 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

This.

Please explain this further. What from that post shows that it’s not a fair comparison? Sam has been a better player on a worse team than Marchand was through the first 6 seasons of their careers. Sam will likely end up out producing Marchand’s third contract (!!!) with points on his second contract, and potentially goals as well, which is something when you consider Marchand is now an elite goal scorer and Sam was never billed as such. 

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Please explain this further. What from that post shows that it’s not a fair comparison? Sam has been a better player on a worse team than Marchand was through the first 6 seasons of their careers. Sam will likely end up out producing Marchand’s third contract (!!!) with points on his second contract, and potentially goals as well, which is something when you consider Marchand is now an elite goal scorer and Sam was never billed as such. 

Sam doesn't lick people's faces or spear them in the nuts, you know, "intangibles".  Ask the receivers of said spear how tangible Brad's value is.  God I hate talking about him. My mouth...er fingers...feel dirty.  

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

I would agree. But Marchand is also what, 7-8 years older than Sam, with many more seasons under his belt?

Its still possible Sam elevates other parts of his game & as he gets older takes on more of a leadership role wherever he plays.

Yeah, everyone should agree Marchand is better than Sam. But Sam is outperforming Marchand on worse teams every season of his career when comparing them against each other. 

25 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Yeah, everyone should agree Marchand is better than Sam. But Sam is outperforming Marchand on worse teams every season of his career when comparing them against each other. 

True, Sam has outproduced Marchand on a worse team, however Sam plays with a more talented center than Marchand played with at that point of his career.

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

True, Sam has outproduced Marchand on a worse team, however Sam plays with a more talented center than Marchand played with at that point of his career.

True, that cuts both ways though. He’s spent a lot of time with Jack but Jack has also always been other teams main focus defensively. I’m sure he’s faced much better matchups than Marchand through this point in his career. 

53 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Your love for Sam is obvious so it doesnt matter whatever people say, you still gonna back him up. Good for you.'

Me on the other hand, i dont see Sam as one of the best right wingers in the league and that is it. I dont like him much, mostly because he cant do ***** without Jack. 
Yea, Marchand is a elite goal scorer indeed, sam is not and never will be. Enough said.

11 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Your love for Sam is obvious so it doesnt matter whatever people say, you still gonna back him up. Good for you.'

Me on the other hand, i dont see Sam as one of the best right wingers in the league and that is it. I dont like him much, mostly because he cant do ***** without Jack. 
Yea, Marchand is a elite goal scorer indeed, sam is not and never will be. Enough said.

This isn’t based in fact or reality. I’m not ignoring anything, where’s you’ve been for months. 

Did you have Marchand being an elite scorer when he was breaking in to the league? Who have you called for breaking out? When have you been right before so I can trust your opinion because you’ve never provided anything to back it up. 

Edited by #freejame
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Yep... still not a real fair comparison imo. They're 2 very different players in 2 very different situations at 2 very different stages in their career. Not to mention one is 31 & 5'8 & the other 24 & 6' 1. It also wasnt until Marchand was 27 that he started to get nominated for All Star games & getting votes for Selkes. Thats 3 years older than Sam is right now. Might not mean that much to some but for me its important to distinguish that.

Sam has consistently improved statistically every season & has had an arguably better career up until Sams point in his career than Marchand had. And as others have said,  thats been on a pretty crappy team no less. But from a basic comparison of stats & what to expect for Sams next contract, I suppose on a basic level it works. Although im sure there are other options out there that may work better.

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

This isn’t based in fact or reality. I’m not ignoring anything, where’s you’ve been for months. 

Did you have Marchand being an elite scorer when he was breaking in to the league? Who have you called for breaking out? When have you been right before so I can trust your opinion because you’ve never provided anything to back it up. 

We can discuss off and on for days, we never gonna agree. Let's have this chat in 5 years if were both still here, and we can discuss this matter with facts in our hand. Aight?

1 minute ago, MillerVaive said:

Yep... still not a real fair comparison imo. They're 2 very different players in 2 very different situations at 2 very different stages in their career. Not to mention one is 31 & 5'8 & the other 24 & 6' 1. It also wasnt until Marchand was 27 that he started to get nominated for All Star games & getting votes for Selkes. Thats 3 years older than Sam is right now. Might not mean that much to some but for me its important to distinguish that.

Sam has consistently improved statistically every season & has had an arguably better career up until Sams point in his career than Marchand had. And as others have said,  thats been on a pretty crappy team no less. But from a basic comparison of stats & what to expect for Sams next contract, I suppose on a basic level it works. Although im sure there are other options out there that may work better.

The only reason I compared the two is because someone mentioned his contract in the game thread and I thought it would be fun to compare the two and see why Marchand has the contract value that he does. I wouldn’t typically compare the two because as you said, they aren’t playing the same roles or games and are vastly different players. 

2 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

We can discuss off and on for days, we never gonna agree. Let's have this chat in 5 years if were both still here, and we can discuss this matter with facts in our hand. Aight?

There have been an obscene amount of facts posted now, you’re simply ignoring them. But sure, let’s do that. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

This has been disproved multiple times and in multiple ways. 

Just now, MODO Hockey said:

Not to me and many others. But ill wait for Sam to enter his prime so to speak, maybe then i can we can agree. 

Ok then you've ignored all the underlying stats that show Sam actually is better away from Jack. Ideally I'd put skinner or olofsson with Reinhart and Eichel with skinner or olofsson. That would be my forward pairing idea. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, #freejame said:

Someone said they wished we could sign him to a contract like Marchand’s. This shows Sam has provided more value than Marchand did at the time of his third contract and will likely be paid at a higher percentage of cap. You’re comparing one player who is currently in his prime to one player who is not. Of course Marchand is better now, he’s directly in his prime. Reinhart is not in his prime yet.

Value? In terms of points?

Marchand is a Grade A pest who can play hockey. There is no comparison here, at all.

These two will be different types of players forever, even in Sam turns into Jonathan Toews.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.