Johansson's Helmet

SwampD

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

How many games does he have to play for the Sabres in his Amerks helmet in order for me being miffed to be justified?

Until the start of the next season. Maybe he doesn’t like rotating in new masks during the season. Maybe he’s superstitious.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Curt said:

This thread is totally ridiculous.  Johansson decides what his mask looks like.  Get over it.

Of all the things to throw a fit over, why you choose this I will never understand.

I agree. WADR to SwampD, he blew up a molehill to a Mount Everest scale.

For some reason I think most of this is just a gag post...... If it isn't, you might want to get some meds.........

But to weigh in, a custom paint job done by one of the pros who do them can cost a couple thousands because they have to be certified, you can't just grab some paint Nd paint one, they would no longer be certified to use by the manufacturer and league because there's a chance the paint could have weakened/damaged the mask material. (I have looked into mask painting before)

Second, like all athletes, players usually have personal preferences with their equipment when it comes to fit and comfort, they also can be superstitious of they are playing well. The player would need to get a mask of their chosing to the painter, who would then have to get a design from the player and paint the mask, along with curing of the paint, this can take days to weeks depending on the design they want. Usually a player who was brought in to play in the minors, isn't going to have a custom mask made up ahead of time for the pro team if they aren't sure they are ever going to be called up, and also not knowing if they will be there long term. He isn't going to go through the expense and time to have one made if he isn't going to be in Buffalo long term. He isn't going to spend a couple of thousand dollars to get a custom mask made that may only be used once so that a fan can feel good that he is wearing a team themed mask......

As for Hasek (I have wanted to get a similar mask to wear when I play but they are tough to find outside of having a custom one made by a guy in Europe) he always had the mask color match the team (in buffalo he had a blue and a black one, in Ottawa I think he used black, and in Detroit he had red) I think the closest he came to customizing them was adding his number on the back or a team logo sticker on it. Although I seem to recall him maybe having the Ottawa and Detroit mask painted with the large team logo....

On 2/7/2020 at 8:54 PM, Brawndo said:

Here you go @SwampD

I always wondered when they would get into vinyl wrapping them, since you can do it to vehicles and it's durable enough, why not goalie masks? A design can easily be created on a computer, printed, and wrapped onto the mask in no time. 

In this case, Campbell was brought in long term to atleast be the backup for the rest of the season, Johansson was brought in to be a short term fill in for an injured Ullmark with no guarantees he is here longer. Campbell is also the starter until Anderson is back and healthy.

You can buy a product to change the color of your pads and gloves (Miller used them to quickly match his Sabres pads to team USA colors when he played in the olympics) I have some at home that I was going to use for mine to match my gloves to my pads but never got around to trying it out.

Edited by apuszczalowski

9 hours ago, LouBrawls said:

Warwick mask in Michigan makes the Hasek helmet.  He did have paint jobs in Buffalo, Ottawa and Detroit when he switched from the SK2000 to this composite helmet.

https://www.warwickmaskcompany.com/product/hasek-pro-style-357/

I hate when he added paint jobs.  At that point, the helmet lost what made it unique.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.