ESPN Article: Sabres are the NHL's Biggest Disaster

Kruppstahl

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Who are the available people who have been NHL GMs and Coaches recently?

GM: Dean Lombardi, Ray Shero, Ron Hextall, Garth Snow?

Coach: Gerard Gallant, Peter Laviolette?

Any combination of those with RaKru as hockey president would be infinitely more promising to me than what we have right now

I like what I’ve seen from Ron Hextall.

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Who are the available people who have been NHL GMs and Coaches recently?

GM: Dean Lombardi, Ray Shero, Ron Hextall, Garth Snow?

Coach: Gerard Gallant, Peter Laviolette?

Any combination of those with RaKru as hockey president would be infinitely more promising to me than what we have right now

That is a terrifying list of GM candidates. I'll keep Botterill over that

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

That is a terrifying list of GM candidates. I'll keep Botterill over that

Even if you got one of those two guys as coach, and a hockey president? Because while Botterill has overlapped their low points, to date he has not approached within ten miles of their high points, and I would assume that people learn things over time that would make it so their mistakes wouldn't necessarily map to our team

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Article today from Greg Wyshnyski.

The national media is really focusing on Buffalo right now.

Maybe this will force something to happen.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28643117/why-buffalo-sabres-nhl-biggest-disaster

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

ESPN is trash

I think it's a really good article and spot on. Team being shamed in a national forum is overdue imo. The suggestions for the fix are a matter of opinion, but calling the team out is absolutely correct. Team is a joke.

The biggest point for me is one I brought up back when we played Ottawa. They had a total franchise meltdown and were predicted by all to be bottom of the league, but they are already better than us in terms of the foundation for a rebuild, and they did it without a superstar. They tore it down and repaired their culture. We overpaid a diva. GMs have been fired for a lot less than JBot's failures. Patience has run out imo. 

58 minutes ago, Tondas said:

image.png.fb14c2b411a2f073d631239253458133.png

He's SVP of Hockey Operations for the Canes.  A President role would be a promotion.  He would not stand for the product on the ice as it is now.  I'm 10 years younger and 1500 miles away and he still scares the $hit out of me.

Yes, yes and double yes. Don't listen to those analytics types. Analytics are a tool to be used, but having smart hockey people who don't take sh*t is also essential. Open the bank vault and pay this man to take over above everyone else.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Here's a novel idea, how about they hire a president, a GM and a head coach who actually have some minimum amount of experience at those positions.

I don't agree with Pi often, but when I do it is because he says something like this.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think it's a really good article and spot on. Team being shamed in a national forum is overdue imo. The suggestions for the fix are a matter of opinion, but calling the team out is absolutely correct. Team is a joke.

The biggest point for me is one I brought up back when we played Ottawa. They had a total franchise meltdown and were predicted by all to be bottom of the league, but they are already better than us in terms of the foundation for a rebuild, and they did it without a superstar. They tore it down and repaired their culture. We overpaid a diva. GMs have been fired for a lot less than JBot's failures. Patience has run out imo. 

Yes, yes and double yes. Don't listen to those analytics types. Analytics are a tool to be used, but having smart hockey people who don't take sh*t is also essential. Open the bank vault and pay this man to take over above everyone else.

What a contradiction. 

Also ottawa has major roster problems. Just because they beat us doesn't mean they are ahead of us. They probably will be after this draft though. The rest of your point is subjective at best. Ottawa is the 3rd worst team in the west. You just know they beat us. 

Edited by LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What a contradiction. 

Also ottawa has major roster problems. Just because they beat us doesn't mean they are ahead of us. They probably will be after this draft though. The rest of your point is subjective at best. Ottawa is the 3rd worst team in the west. You just know they beat us. 

It’s funny that the team he works for now is considered at the forefront of the analytics movement in the NHL 

48 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What a contradiction. 

Not a contradiction at all. Smart hockey people are not the same as analytic people contrary to what you think. 

Analytics are a tool. Using them as your sole  blueprint will not lead you to the cup. Analytics do not measure heart, soul, personality, grit.

Contrary to what you think, hockey is not a video game. 

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

they are already better than us in terms of the foundation for a rebuild, and they did it without a superstar.

I wonder how me people agree with this. I don't.

I would rather have the Sabres current pool of assets than the Senators.

Just now, dudacek said:

I wonder how me people agree with this. I don't.

I would rather have the Sabres current pool of assets than the Senators.

It's not the pool of assets. You're not getting it. 

That team was a shambles. Their culture and locker room were totally f'd. They fixed that first by tearing everything down.

Now they have a low skill team but it's a team. They play hard and they play together and they play with heart. That is a foundation you can add skill to and build on. You build out from that.

We, on the other hand, keep trying to add pieces to a losing culture and we watch players come here and get worse than they were before they got here. There is no team. They all act as indivduals, they all periodically quit, and rarely do any of them stand up for each other. You can't build on that, it'll always fall down.

Hope that clarifies it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's not the pool of assets. You're not getting it. 

That team was a shambles. Their culture and locker room were totally f'd. They fixed that first by tearing everything down.

Now they have a low skill team but it's a team. They play hard and they play together and they play with heart. That is a foundation you can add skill to and build on. You build out from that.

We, on the other hand, keep trying to add pieces to a losing culture and we watch players come here and get worse than they were before they got here. There is no team. They all act as indivduals, they all periodically quit, and rarely do any of them stand up for each other. You can't build on that, it'll always fall down.

Hope that clarifies it. 

Not to mention that we don't have anyone who has the guts to fight. They'd keel over dead like a possum if they had to fight against Tom Wilson or Zdeno Chara.

3 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

Not to mention that we don't have anyone who has the guts to fight. They'd keel over dead like a possum if they had to fight against Tom Wilson or Zdeno Chara.

Fight? How about just players who don't get pushed off the puck in OT?   and yet they still scoff when I don't want to give Sam a big payday..............

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.