ESPN Article: Sabres are the NHL's Biggest Disaster

Kruppstahl

Of note:

"The toxicity of the Sabres' lack of success is beginning to seep into the marketplace. Buffalo's average tickets distributed per game is 17,146 (90.8% capacity), down from 17,908 (93.9%) last season. In the Pegulas' first full season as owner, it was 18,550 (99.9%)."

"Here's what I know, according to sources: The Sabres were looking for a president of hockey operations-type last season. They never hired one, and seemingly cooled to the idea. If Botterill comes back, I can't see a scenario in which he doesn't have someone above him to help facilitate this turnaround, or at least sign off on his plans."

"If they don't retain Botterill, there are two other directions in which I'd support the Sabres going.

Scenario No. 1: If the New York Rangers ever allowed Chris Drury to take another job, I think Buffalo hires him in a millisecond as its Joe Sakic/Steve Yzerman conquering hero.

Scenario No. 2: Krueger becomes coach/general manager, which we haven't had since Darryl Sutter in Calgary. Look, if anyone could do it, it's that guy."

7 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Of note:

"The toxicity of the Sabres' lack of success is beginning to seep into the marketplace. Buffalo's average tickets distributed per game is 17,146 (90.8% capacity), down from 17,908 (93.9%) last season. In the Pegulas' first full season as owner, it was 18,550 (99.9%)."

"Here's what I know, according to sources: The Sabres were looking for a president of hockey operations-type last season. They never hired one, and seemingly cooled to the idea. If Botterill comes back, I can't see a scenario in which he doesn't have someone above him to help facilitate this turnaround, or at least sign off on his plans."

"If they don't retain Botterill, there are two other directions in which I'd support the Sabres going.

Scenario No. 1: If the New York Rangers ever allowed Chris Drury to take another job, I think Buffalo hires him in a millisecond as its Joe Sakic/Steve Yzerman conquering hero.

Scenario No. 2: Krueger becomes coach/general manager, which we haven't had since Darryl Sutter in Calgary. Look, if anyone could do it, it's that guy."

#1 please. 

Spot on again.  The good thing is so many see it the pressure is going to be mounting.  I think JBot is in over his head.  His decisions, after TM, was just as bad or worse.  Put RK somewhere above and maybe try Chris Taylor or Gallant behind the bench. We are unfortunately going to have to start again and move a lot of damaged players out to change culture.

Edited by Gatorman0519

The moment the Sabres become a relevant, championship-contending team is the moment every Western New York expat who ever wore a buffalo head on their bodies comes out of the shadows to support the team. It would be like that energy we felt in Washington and St. Louis, only with 10 times the catharsis and fans jumping through burning tables.

?

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He won't. If anything he'll sit in NYC until that GM spot opens up

This is from Friedman April 27th, 2017

Hearing NYR AGM Chris Drury wont interview w/BUF. Sabres asked. Rangers consulted Drury, but decision was: not yet time. A future GM, though

That sounds like it could be a thanks but no thanks 

Just now, Brawndo said:

Hearing NYR AGM Chris Drury wont interview w/BUF. Sabres asked. Rangers consulted Drury, but decision was: not yet time. A future GM, though

Yeah I remember hearing that. Pegula definitely has interest then, but I always thought it was Drury not wanting to leave. Maybe it was just not the right time like the article said

29 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Never lose sight that Greg W hates the Sabres he is a Devils schill who is still full of rage over Hasek winning more Venizas then Brodeur

Nah.  He's pretty objective when it comes to Buffalo.  I've been reading him for a long time.

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

Why would Drury come back? 

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He won't. If anything he'll sit in NYC until that GM spot opens up

This ^.

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

I read this and hit "reply" before seeing the date.  I really was hoping that there was some news, somewhere, that the team was starting to look elsewhere again.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

The only reason for No. 2 is to remove all doubt whether Krueger is the one at fault.  I don't want to go there.

image.png.fb14c2b411a2f073d631239253458133.png

He's SVP of Hockey Operations for the Canes.  A President role would be a promotion.  He would not stand for the product on the ice as it is now.  I'm 10 years younger and 1500 miles away and he still scares the $hit out of me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tondas said:

image.png.fb14c2b411a2f073d631239253458133.png

He's SVP of Hockey Operations for the Canes.  A President role would be a promotion.  He would not stand for the product on the ice as it is now.  I'm 10 years younger and 1500 miles away and he still scares the $hit out of me.

The Hurricanes are good for one reason and one reason only, and he (the head of their analytics department) is not leaving there anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Of note:

I think we can forget about this, don't know where I read it but he doesn't care much for the sabres.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.