GDT Detroit at Buffalo 2/6/20 7pm NBCSN, WGR 550

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Burokovsky and Kadri were trades.  Nichushkin was a UFA and a nice reclamation project.  He’s a good example of a player surrounded with great talent and asked to play a 4th or 3rd line role can play without pressure and get elevated to the second.   Whether it’s a trade or UFA the point remains that they made moves and have improved their standing. 

Correct.  I should have said acquired last summer.  

9 hours ago, KC Scouts said:

I hate to ignite the Reinhart "Should he stay or should he go" debate...but his effort just illustrates my belief that he is not worth it (7 million or more). He's not my kind of player.

Don't give me "he was tired" on the play.....if you are tired GET OFF THE ICE, If not  SKATE HARD

I agree with you on the long term deal, $7M+ is steep.  Reinhart and Skinner could eat a lot of cap - are they the wingers we want leading this team? 

I think we will see more and more tired players.  Ralph plays a short bench with his forwards and he has been running  with 11, not 12.   Eichel looked tired, he has played a lot of minutes, carrying a big load.    Risto  is starting to do his after the All Star break swan dive too.  Reinhart looked slow the entire OT,   maybe Skinner could have helped for a quick 40 second shift with Jack?  

One other observation is that Joker is not as effective without Scandella.  I think we miss him.  

Edited by Pimlach

33 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He was two strides behind, all the reason to keep skating and working, the puck hits a rut and he gains a stride and can lean into Larkin.  Instead he just quit and left the rookie to handle it   

Great leadership, I dont think I can do it so I won’t try.  Yup, try that in Boston, or St Louis, the coach will understand. 

Why can’t Sam dive to break up the play? Why not put your head down and skate, hard for 2 more strides? Pathetic effort. No excuses.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Why can’t Sam dive to break up the play? Why not put your head down and skate, hard for 2 more strides? Pathetic effort. No excuses.

This comes 1 game after his comment about players needing to "step the hell up".    If I'm a teammate I want this dude gone. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Wow..

Did i just wake up to see this piece of sh1t team lose to another bad team, no.

I woke up to see this team lost to a team thats on the paper 10 times worse, not even nhl worthy.

Pathetic, just pathetic.

Yeah I'm not making that mistake anymore this year.

Well, Sam definitely stopped skating.   Some will call that coasting, or lazy.  Some will say it's hockey IQ conservation of energy when hustling would be futile.

Frankly, it disappointed me.   As some have mentioned, it follows his post game “step up and be accountable” interview.  There are “no quit” and “never give up” cultures.  Are they necessary to win?  I don’t know.  Would they allow someone to stop skating, despite the odds?  No, they would not.

By the way, being tired or gassed might change the result of you trying hard, but they don't prevent you from trying hard.

I am hearing the words “desperate” and “accountable”.   I’m not sure Sam was either on that particular shift.

I’ll stop short of drawing an over all conclusion about the guy from that play.   I would've shot him a look as he returned to the bench if I were a teammate.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

Could it be that Sam is pulling a O'Reilly and saying things to purposely get traded and out of this mess? I am amazed jack can pout up with this crap. Losing to Detroit is as bad as it gets. 

Pout.  Good Freudian slip.

15 minutes ago, Neo said:

Well, Sam definitely stopped skating.   Some will call that coasting, or lazy.  Some will say it's hockey IQ conservation of energy when hustling would be futile.

Frankly, it disappointed me.   As some have mentioned, it follows his post game “step up and be accountable” interview.  There are “no quit” and “never give up” cultures.  Are they necessary to win?  I don’t know.  Would they allow someone to stop skating, despite the odds?  No, they would not.

By the way, being tired or gassed might change the result of you trying hard, but they don't prevent you from trying hard.

I am hearing the words “desperate” and “accountable”.   I’m not sure Sam was either on that particular shift.

I’ll stop short of drawing an over all conclusion about the guy from that play.   I would've shot him a look as he returned to the bench if I were a teammate.

I think this is a very good take.  Did Sam’s lack of effort at the end of the game make a difference, or even reflect on him as a player?  Probably not to any great extent.

Was it a case of really poor optics, especially after a diatribe about effort?  Hell yeah it is.

As Neo states, he deserves some level of team response for it.  Whether or not there is a response should say alot about whether the right locker room environment is present.

Going to the game tonight... expect similar effort... these are the tickets you guys bought me so me and the family are going to have a good time at MSG regardless of the effort or outcome... ps the Rags young guys look like they are having fun regardless of the record.

Glad last nights game was on NBC and I could not watch only having internet, it was blocked... I needed the rest because my overnite shift was nuts and the ER was bonkers.

Edited by North Buffalo

Every time we have a bad season (the last 8 years) I think of Terry Pegula giving his Rex Ryan-like speech about how we are going to raise hell and win Stanley cups (not exactly this words)

Wonder if he thinks of that famous speech 

“if I wanted to make money I’ll drill more oil”

then you have Botterill saying he won’t spend money to make a trade that might hurt the team financially!? How much worse can it get? 

4 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

Every time we have a bad season (the last 8 years) I think of Terry Pegula giving his Rex Ryan-like speech about how we are going to raise hell and win Stanley cups (not exactly this words)

Wonder if he thinks of that famous speech 

“if I wanted to make money I’ll drill more oil”

then you have Botterill saying he won’t spend money to make a trade that might hurt the team financially!? How much worse can it get? 

Botteril could get a contract extension. 

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

Blaming Sam for that goal is the height of hockey ignorance.

You can be upset at the effort he put out and not blame him for the goal.  It’s been established that Risto gave up the blue line, caved in fast on the 2v1, and focused his effort on the wrong man.  More effort from Sam, waaay back in the attacking zine is one issue and then yes he quit on the play coming back.  We all know Larkin is very fast, to me this is the reason Sam looks so bad, to others it’s an acceptable excuse.   To this coach it must be OK too   

Substitute Skinner for Sam on that play and watch Skinner gets benched.  He got benched anyway.  Ralph played Sam with Eichel the entire OT (exception on face offs that Lazar took).  Sam could not keep up during the OT, Eichel was an island.  RK must be ok with Sam’s effort and that is a big problem with this team.  

Sams calls out the team effort  versus Colorado and then we see this in the final shift Of the first period against Detroit.  The “do as I say, not as I do” leadership style is not leadership at all.  

This team gives up late goals, early goals, PP goals, SHGs,  4v4 goals —- they are a terrible mess and they are lazy.  We should expect a lot more from Sam Reinhart.  

Take him off Eichel‘s line and you have what, an output similar to what we are seeing from Skinner.  

Edited by Pimlach

22 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Sam wants to lead but has piss poor body language. Bad leader. 

Isn't that what people said about Jack last year? I get it that people are frustrated, hell I am, but channel the frustration at the right thing........GM JB. You make enough bad decisions and it comes back to haunt you! Poorly constructed team, don't let him off the hook by blaming Reinhart, he has generally played pretty well. Some are even taking shots at Jack for being 95% of McDavid, Dahlin not being the best D in the league at 19 etc.....those things are not the problem.

I'm not sure Mark Messier could lead this group of clowns.

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck

11 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I'm confused. Are the Sabres not a good hockey team?

The Sabres are not a good hockey team.  Why are you confused though?

Just now, Gatorman0519 said:

For the first time in all of this the arena is starting to look like Panthers games.  

The message is being sent to management.

We are all Duane.

10 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Not sure why folks in Sabreland hate Harrington.  He is the least Buffalo aspect to the Buffalo media and the only guy who holds players/organization to any kind of standard whatsoever.

It's an old story here and goes back to Bucky and Jerry. If the Internet had been around then, Mike DeGeorge would have been SS Public Enemy Number One. And Kelley, too, because he was often tough on the team. The premise is: we can rip the team because we are family, but if someone steps through that door and goes after Uncle Sam... we swarm.

Can @Randall Flaggconfirm the team was booed ONTO the ice? It was in Harrington's article.

Edited by PASabreFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.