Nazem Kadri's Sweet Talk to Brandon Montour

Kruppstahl

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is my favorite post in this thread. 

Me too but again, is that naturally the reaction or not? Pekar would naturally start laying the lumber because that is who he is. I don't want the mirage of toughness. You are either that type of player or you aren't. 

giphy.gif

I don't disagree with that sentiment.  But as I posed in my first post, do we really have a collection of players like that?  Is it Krueger?  Or is it something else not easily identifiable?  I'm not Brandon Montour expert, but I was under the impression he played with an edge in Anaheim. 

I'm not expecting everyone to skate around like a bunch of raving lunatics (although that would be nice), but do something that shows fans you care.  Whether true or not, it looks like a bunch of guys collecting paychecks out there, and it has for a very long time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

I don't disagree with that sentiment.  But as I posed in my first post, do we really have a collection of players like that?  Is it Krueger?  Or is it something else not easily identifiable?  I'm not Brandon Montour expert, but I was under the impression he played with an edge in Anaheim. 

I'm not expecting everyone to skate around like a bunch of raving lunatics (although that would be nice), but do something that shows fans you care.  Whether true or not, it looks like a bunch of guys collecting paychecks out there, and it has for a very long time.

I would honestly say that I think part of it is the team and part of it is Krueger. 

They do indeed look like a bunch of guys collecting paychecks. Obviously a couple exceptions. 

• Like (+1) 3

This type of trash talking happens all the time.   I'm perfectly fine with Montour's reaction.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I would honestly say that I think part of it is the team and part of it is Krueger. 

They do indeed look like a bunch of guys collecting paychecks. Obviously a couple exceptions. 

They look like a bunch of guys who would rather be playing somewhere else.

• Like (+1) 5

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yup. I don't need my guy dropping gloves and punching in the face. I need him to play better hockey. of course once it gets to be 5-1, screw it. Might as well punch him because you are at that point ***** at hockey. 

Well since they aren't going to do what you described above id like to see them drop the gloves and punch someone in the face and show some damn pride

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DHawerchuk10 said:

I'll go ahead and agree with @LGR4GM that we don't need players pretending to be that kind of player. It never works out. We've seen that kind of player...a lot...here. They suck and it means nothing.

I think the tension in this thread is that everyone is agreeing to a concept but are coming at the concept from different angles.

None of our players is the kind of player who approaches an ideal combination of skill and toughness. The kind of which is fun to watch and contributes to wins. We've sussed out this trope before - we need players who can play a heavy game.

Also, our team does suck. We can't even stick it to other teams on the scoreboard - we can't intimidate other teams through our skill, so that someone like Kadri is told by the coach to skip the BS on the ice and focus, because the opposing team is really good and will make you look like a fool. Our team doesn't even have that going for it.

So we have a team that STILL struggles with fundamentals, who can't play at a high enough level where they can lay in some physical play, and are always miserable on the ice, susceptible to taunting rather that able to both enjoy: A) winning and B) being the ones who taunt.

32 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Kadri would instantly make our team better.

He would.  But not because he can talk trash from a well guarded position in a game that's already effectively over.  It's because he's better at hockey than any other center man not named Eichel that the Sabres currently have.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He would.  But not because he can talk trash from a well guarded position in a game that's already effectively over.  It's because he's better at hockey than any other center man not named Eichel that the Sabres currently have.

Exactly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

For all the "this is normal trash talk" rebuttals - sure, but my problem is the surrounding context. 

- Montour has done ***** for this team / fans since putting on the jersey.  Kadri gives him a great opportunity to publicly be a leader and he opts out.
- We are in a tailspin over the last couple of weeks.
- Duane
- The game is out of hand at this point (6-1?).  Who cares about penalty.
- Your rookie goalie, in like his first 10 minutes of NHL action in his life, just got poked after (or at) the whistle by a known instigator when the game is effectively over already.  What a dick thing to do by Kadri.  And what a soft response from the Sabres.

Also Reinhart was right there too.  It's a ***** team Sam.  He's right.  Embarrassing.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Getpucksdeep said:

For all the "this is normal trash talk" rebuttals - sure, but my problem is the surrounding context. 

- Montour has done ***** for this team / fans since putting on the jersey.  Kadri gives him a great opportunity to publicly be a leader and he opts out.
- Duane
- Your rookie goalie, in like his first 10 minutes of NHL action in his life, just got poked after (or at) the whistle by a known instigator when the game is effectively over already.  What a dick thing to do by Kadri.  And what a soft response from the Sabres.

Also Reinhart was right there too.  It's a ***** team Sam.  He's right.  Embarrassing.

Talk about reaching to fabricate a story.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Getpucksdeep said:

- Duane

??

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Sure in the same way adding Dalton Smith to the team was going to lead to better play. 

You either play like that because that is who you are, or you don't. Like that means with heart and drive. Suddenly punching a trash talker isn't changing jack ***** just like Dalton Smith and all his toughness didn't mean jack *****. 

Cause only in Buffalo do you sign him and then not play him. Was letting the guy skate one shift going to change anything?

I am not in any way saying Dalton Smith was an answer to anything, but what they did there was ridiculous and just adds to the optics of this being a joke franchise.

Kadri's a rat and a trashtalker. This is not news. But, point being argued around and somewhat missed, he's not wrong. Montour is a sh*t defenseman and he is on a sh*t team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

They look like a bunch of guys who would rather be playing somewhere else.

This is definitely true. In some ways they seem so used to losing they give up pursuing the puck early and drop back into a stance where they almost look like they're playing a PK style 5 on 5.  Completely passive and reactive.Always one step behind. I have only seen worse hockey this year from Detroit.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Peters gets ejected, suspended, and fined for making a silent golf swing on a face off.

Kadri swears up a storm in personal attacks and that's ok?  lolol

Peters who? Chirping is 100% part of hockey. It belongs in the game. Of course it’s okay. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Talk about reaching to fabricate a story.

I don't see it that way.  That is actually a pretty apt contextualization of where we are at.  It might seem blown out of proportion, but when you are this pitiful for this long, relatively small things like this tend to get blown up quite a bit by a frustrated fan base.

35 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The story that your loose collection of bullet points purports to tell

Ok, thank you. Carry on with the suckage as you wish. And I'll keep an eye out for some moxy from our top players, and push back and actual anger against an antagonizing opponent as opposed to stick vs goal post.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is definitely true. In some ways they seem so used to losing they give up pursuing the puck early and drop back into a stance where they almost look like they're playing a PK style 5 on 5.  Completely passive and reactive.Always one step behind. I have only seen worse hockey this year from Detroit.  

They're playing without purpose, like a rudderless ship adrift at sea.   

Of course the objective is to win, they obviously know that... but winning is just the result of doing an entire laundry list of things the right way.   

They're either too focused on the result or they really just don't care enough to put forth a concentrated effort shift to shift.   

Just focus on the next shift, beating the guy lined up against you no matter the situation and the results will take care of themselves.

It's not rocket science, it's hockey 101, c'mon boys figure it out already.  

4 hours ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

This isn't a political debate or a business meeting though...its hockey.  I want to vicariously live out my aggressions through Montour, so I have an outlet.

If you want to vicariously live out your aggressions, Brandon Montour should not be your outlet of choice.

whoopi goldberg shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

19 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Ok, thank you. Carry on with the suckage as you wish. And I'll keep an eye out for some moxy from our top players, and push back and actual anger against an antagonizing opponent as opposed to stick vs goal post.

Carry on with the suckage as I wish? I was one of the first ones to point out that Jason has a questionable eye for forward talent, and worrisome team-building abilities. I've nailed the offseason projections of what our team has been capable of in the standings both last year, and through 53 games this year, within a window as small as 4 points. And I've been plenty pissed off about it - only I get most pissed off when it's sunny out and people are more likely to object, because changes can still be made then, versus when things are predictably circling the train and everyone else is mad - it's way easier to be mad about "suckage" now.

Montour himself has almost surely said worse things than what Kadri said, about a player's MOTHER, and me not buying that your loose collection of bullet points underlies something that I predicted/saw better than most since the ROR trade (that the team and GM are bad at hockey and making hockey teams), at times in the face of intense opposition, does not mean that I want the team to keep sucking

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I hate it when the talk devolves to “we suck so I wish we would beat guys up to make me feel better.”

Why?  Lindy "run 'em" you don't like?  It's in the fabric of the game.  It's entertainment.  Shoot weekly high school/midget games this is the norm.  Things get lopsided, game plans change.  True, we should probably know better than to expect our collections of millionaires to care that much.  But then we watch a Calgary vs Edmonton game ,or any random Bruins game, and it happens.  Good nasty hard hockey.  But not in Buffalo, not these guys.

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Carry on with the suckage as I wish? I was one of the first ones to point out that Jason has a questionable eye for forward talent, and worrisome team-building abilities. I've nailed the offseason projections of what our team has been capable of in the standings both last year, and through 53 games this year, within a window as small as 4 points. And I've been plenty pissed off about it - only I get most pissed off when it's sunny out and people are more likely to object, because changes can still be made then, versus when things are predictably circling the train and everyone else is mad - it's way easier to be mad about "suckage" now.

Montour himself has almost surely said worse things than what Kadri said, about a player's MOTHER, and me not buying that your loose collection of bullet points underlies something that I predicted/saw better than most since the ROR trade (that the team and GM are bad at hockey and making hockey teams), at times in the face of intense opposition, does not mean that I want the team to keep sucking

I'm not questioning you and your insights and contributions to this board / discussion.  You rock.  You are questioning my level of frustration with what I saw as one of countless displays of crap by this team this season.  Not having the skill to compete is one thing.  Not having heart and desire is another.  We could hear the smack talk in this example so sure it's likely getting more scrutiny than warranted, but ffs how/why did we not respond when the wheels came off?  Give us something!  Fans are begging for it.  Nope, soft team, easy to play against, just laugh and skate away. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.