Jeff Skinner's Contract

bob_sauve28

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But they wouldn't get it, history says it would be closer to half that price.

Larkin is an excellent player who I would love to have in the number two slot, but his reputation with some people seems to exceed his contributions. He's a good 1B, not a true number one.

A good comparable might be Jeff Carter who was traded twice for a top-10 pick and good prospect, or Brayden Schenn who the Blues got for two mid-round firsts, or Mike Richards who went for a 2nd, a young NHL player (an unproven Wayne Simmonds), and a top prospect (ironically, Schenn), or Ryan O'Reilly, who went (along with McGinn) for essentially Mitts, Joker, Asplund and a 2nd

As far as Athanasiou goes, he is a talented and extraordinarily selfish freelancer on the ice who chafes within systems. I agree with Brian Burke's take that he is a great help to both team's attack. He's actually got some things in common with Skinner.

I read/hear his off-ice personality mirrors his on-ice personality though, which I havent heard about Jeff.

If it is less than posted do it.  If it is the posted I would do it.  Until we fix that hole nothing else matters.  And if we don’t fix that hole, we have a 9 m dollar anchor to worry about for the next 7 years.  Thats in addition to the other 6 million dollar contract that will become problematic in a year or so.  The Sabres will not make the leap nipping at the margins.   Waiting on drafting and development is another 4 to 5 years to amass enough talent to contend.  Fortune favors the bold.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 3putt said:

If it is less than posted do it.  If it is the posted I would do it.  Until we fix that hole nothing else matters.  And if we don’t fix that hole, we have a 9 m dollar anchor to worry about for the next 7 years.  Thats in addition to the other 6 million dollar contract that will become problematic in a year or so.  The Sabres will not make the leap nipping at the margins.   Waiting on drafting and development is another 4 to 5 years to amass enough talent to contend.  Fortune favors the bold.

Agreed, that is why I focused in on Larkin. Good fit for what is needed, can be a win/win trade for both teams given their current circumstances.

I'm not concerned about 1st rd picks at this time, we'd have time to refill the pool with two 23 year old centers under contract for at least 3 seasons at 16.1 million combined.

Yes please.

38 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm not getting your correlation with age and playing with Larkin. You don't honestly believe Nyquist, who wasn't 30 yet when moved and had played 3 years on the Red Wings, and Tatar, who had just turned 28 when moved was to old to play with Larkin? Or AA who was 25 was to old?

Come on now man, that's just ridiculous.

I didn’t say too old to play with Larkin.  It has nothing to do with that.

Nyquist and Tatar’s age and contract status are reasons they were moved though.  By the time Detroit plans on being good again, in 2-4 years, both of those guys would be 30+ and due for significant UFA contracts that will take them into their mid 30’s.  That’s if they would want to stay with Detroit at all at that point.  They could walk for nothing instead.  What you don’t want on a young up and coming team is guys in their 30’s, in decline, with significant money and term on their contract.

AA was probably moved because Yzerman doesn’t like him much and didn’t want to commit to him on a long term contract, for what he is going to cost soon.

This is all my speculation, but it’s the logical reasoning.  What are you saying?  Do you think Detroit plans to trade every good player on their roster, even the guys who are very good, young, and signed long term?

18 minutes ago, Curt said:

I didn’t say too old to play with Larkin.  It has nothing to do with that.

Nyquist and Tatar’s age and contract status are reasons they were moved though.  By the time Detroit plans on being good again, in 2-4 years, both of those guys would be 30+ and due for significant UFA contracts that will take them into their mid 30’s.  That’s if they would want to stay with Detroit at all at that point.  They could walk for nothing instead.  What you don’t want on a young up and coming team is guys in their 30’s, in decline, with significant money and term on their contract.

AA was probably moved because Yzerman doesn’t like him much and didn’t want to commit to him on a long term contract, for what he is going to cost soon.

This is all my speculation, but it’s the logical reasoning.  What are you saying?  Do you think Detroit plans to trade every good player on their roster, even the guys who are very good, young, and signed long term?

I think Detroit is open to any discussing any trade that would better their current circumstances. Including moving Larkin if the offer was good enough.

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but why do you get to say that without repercussions? 

Not everyone gets equal treatment here, that is a certainty.

as for Skinner, he should be publicly apologizing to the fans and promising to try to be better rather than being the "asshat" he often appears to be on the ice. 

Maybe you could go back read his posts. Then you can read the PM’s sent to all of us mods including SDS. Reach your own conclusions. Or just trust me, he was an asshat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I think Detroit is open to any discussing any trade that would better their current circumstances. Including moving Larkin if the offer was good enough.

Ok, maybe.  You could say the same about 90% of the players in the league.  Their team would trade them if they thought it would better their circumstances.

The question then becomes, why would Detroit want picks/unproven prospects instead of a good, young player that they like, who will still be good and young when they are ready to be a good team again?  

Seems like you would just keep that guy and trade the guys who are older or that you don’t like as much.  Detroit can’t be made up entirely of 19-23 year old players in a few years.  They are going to want a few good players to insulate the kids who are coming in.

Basically, yeah, maybe you could acquire Larkin for some hypothetical, exorbitant price, but I think that Detroit is not looking to move him at all.  It’s not worth spending time debating, because it is never going to actually happen.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Zamboni said:

With all due respect. You may think you know that. But in reality you or anyone don’t know if Cozens will be better. Until he comes in the NHL, develops, and proves he is actually better than prime Larkin. And believe me I HOPE he becomes better than Larkin. 

Definitely just my opinion. Isn't most everything on this Sabrespace opinion? Anyway, from what I've seen of him and heard about him I firmly believe this is true and there is no way I would trade him. I might be wrong of course, and a lot can happen to change him etc. but aside from Jack and Dahlin, this guy has my attention (and hopes) more than any other draft pick over the last I dunno decade or longer. 

• Like (+1) 2

while I did and do think they overpaid for a very one-dimensional player, I think it is even sillier to bury him on as line with  guys not anywhere near capable of helping Skinner out. he clearly needs a center to feed him, but then again so does most goal scorers. Right now we have Sam riding Jack's back and running up numbers so that he will be the next to get a over-inflated contract. Is Sam that good or is it just that he plays with Jack?   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

while I did and do think they overpaid for a very one-dimensional player, I think it is even sillier to bury him on as line with  guys not anywhere near capable of helping Skinner out. he clearly needs a center to feed him, but then again so does most goal scorers. Right now we have Sam riding Jack's back and running up numbers so that he will be the next to get a over-inflated contract. Is Sam that good or is it just that he plays with Jack?   

We could do better at RW for Jack then Sam, I admit. But Sam should get a 6 to 7 million dollar deal, x 8 of course, "if" (big if), we get a center to put between him and Skinner.

Because honestly, I personally believe with the right center, Reinart and Skinner thrive together (playmaker and sniper). Just my 2 cents is all.

18 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

We could do better at RW for Jack then Sam, I admit. But Sam should get a 6 to 7 million dollar deal, x 8 of course, "if" (big if), we get a center to put between him and Skinner.

Because honestly, I personally believe with the right center, Reinart and Skinner thrive together (playmaker and sniper). Just my 2 cents is all.

Reinhart's had a 50 & 65 point season and will likely have 65-70 this year.  Hoping he ends up with 8x$7, but wouldn't be surprised if it is 8x$8.  Whatever it'll be, at this point it'll be, and trying to alter his production to affect his next deal shouldn't be in the consideration IMHO.  These last 6 weeks should be all about a heroic run to something.  (Ideally 3rd in the division, but even that run to 9th keeps it interesting.)

He's the best RW they have right now and it's not even close.  And he plays well with Eichel.  Considering Eichel is the team's best player, by far; they should be maximizing his production.  Playing Reinhart with him does that.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Reinhart's had a 50 & 65 point season and will likely have 65-70 this year.  Hoping he ends up with 8x$7, but wouldn't be surprised if it is 8x$8.  Whatever it'll be, at this point it'll be, and trying to alter his production to affect his next deal shouldn't be in the consideration IMHO.  These last 6 weeks should be all about a heroic run to something.  (Ideally 3rd in the division, but even that run to 9th keeps it interesting.)

He's the best RW they have right now and it's not even close.  And he plays well with Eichel.  Considering Eichel is the team's best player, by far; they should be maximizing his production.  Playing Reinhart with him does that.

I got nothing because your right. But......

If I had a choice, speedy big bodied with hands of the Golden touch with Eich's ?

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Doesn't look like its done much good 

I think it’s too early to have a definitive opinion. I think he’s playing with a center who’s not 100%. I think his confidence is in the toilet and he won’t just magically snap out of it in a few games being on the top line.

• Like (+1) 1

If they can address the 2C and top 6 RW situation combined with assembling a 3rd line that contributes that should alleviate some of the problem with Skinner. Couldn't hurt anyways, imo.

One thing I have been doing in the past couple of weeks is watching Cozens videos. Him with Skinner on his LW looks awfully tempting offensively. Speed.

I think people need to give this more then part of one season before wanting him shipped out.

How many players live up to or exceed their new contract in the 1st season it kicks in? Most of the time there's some drop off after a big deal is signed and then the player comes back into form.

This is what happens to talented players, they outperform their earlier deals that made them look like a bargain and then get paid and people then expect them to all of the sudden be that much better. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 1:14 PM, apuszczalowski said:

I think people need to give this more then part of one season before wanting him shipped out.

How many players live up to or exceed their new contract in the 1st season it kicks in? Most of the time there's some drop off after a big deal is signed and then the player comes back into form.

This is what happens to talented players, they outperform their earlier deals that made them look like a bargain and then get paid and people then expect them to all of the sudden be that much better. 

Expecting him to be worth his contract is odd? What am I missing? The guy had 23 points in 59 games. He's not under performing relative to his deal, he's under performing on his contract if we were getting a 50% discount on it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.