Jeff Skinner's Contract

bob_sauve28

11 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Unlike almost all of the dead beats on this team, I have faith in Skinner.  He is a "feisty" kind of player who is actually very difficult to play against, despite not being a fighter, hitter, or a particularly big guy.

He is a great example of "toughness" that I and others talk about, and which is completely lacking on this team.

Skinner brings a high level of self motivation to the game and is a super talented guy.  He will be all right long term.

He needs to be with Eichel or a similar guy who can drive play.  He's being horribly misused this season (mostly) and you see the results. 

I keep saying it, but the guy that screws the whole thing up is Reinhart.  He should be the 2C but he is too slow to be a center and he is utterly incapable of driving a line on his own.

If he could be a "close enough" replacement for Eichel on a 2nd line, so much on this squad would be freed up.  A lot of misplaced players would become properly placed.

I am happy turning over 95% of this roster, but I would keep Skinner and don't mind his K.

This has been shown to be wrong multiple times. Sadly Buffalo isn't willing to pay attention to this fact. 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Unlike almost all of the dead beats on this team, I have faith in Skinner.  He is a "feisty" kind of player who is actually very difficult to play against, despite not being a fighter, hitter, or a particularly big guy.

He is a great example of "toughness" that I and other talk about, and which is completely lacking on this team.

Skinner brings a high level of self motivation to the game and is a super talented guy.  He will be all right long term.

He needs to be with Eichel or a similar guy who can drive play.  He's being horrible misused this season (mostly) and you see the results. 

I keep saying it, but the guy that screws the whole thing up is Reinhart.  He should be the 2C but he is too slow to be a center and he is utterly incapable of driving a line on his own.

If he could be a "close enough" replacement for Eichel on a 2nd line, so much on this squad would be freed up.  A lot of misplaced players would become properly placed.

I am happy turning over 95% of this roster, but I would keep Skinner and don't mind his K.

Good post, I agree with pretty much everything. I don't believe in RK, and for me that colors everything. I see him as a guy who's savvy and has a  good line. When I heard him say the other day paraphrasing, " analytics is part of the equation, but it's a really a small part, I mean we watch the games in slow motion so......" Now I'm not beholden to the stats, but when I see Stats like someone showed above about Skinner/Jack and Reinhart/ Jack and it's not taken into account then something is really ***** up. I feel like RK as HC should be trying to maximize success for his players, and he's failed mightily. RK seems to believe throwing anyone on the LW as a balance defensively to his top 2 scorers is ludicrous. Or, putting his #1 sniper last year on a line with Erod and Girgs is absurd. JBot has a lot to answer for as well,  because a good 2C would have made a huge difference from the beginning. He seems to have put all his eggs on Casey M, which was a dumb thing to do. If it's me, I'm not afraid of a little redundancy. Get a good 2C, it's too important, and if Casey had worked out...great. Cross that bridge when we come to it.

16 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

the good old Buffalo tradition of blaming the good players

Other than this October, when has Skinner been good in the past year?

13 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

He is a great example of "toughness" that I and others talk about, and which is completely lacking on this team.

He needs to be with Eichel or a similar guy who can drive play.  He's being horribly misused this season (mostly) and you see the results. 

So, Skinner is good because even though he can’t drive play by himself, he yaps and gets emotional.

Reinhart is bad because he can’t drive play by himself and he doesn’t yap or get emotional.

That Sam is trusted in defensive situations and Jeff is not, has outscored Jeff by 9 goals and 29 points in the past calendar year and doesn’t go into long protracted slumps is on the coach.

Am I getting this right?

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So, Skinner is good because even though he can’t drive play by himself, he yaps and gets emotional.

Reinhart is bad because he can’t drive play by himself and he doesn’t yap or get emotional.

That Sam is trusted in defensive situations and Jeff is not, has outscored Jeff by 9 goals and 29 points in the past calendar year and doesn’t go into long protracted slumps is on the coach.

Am I getting this right?

Yes. 

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Am I getting this right?

Forget it.  He's rolling.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Am I getting this right?

I honestly think Skinner was still playing well last year even when he wasn't scoring. Sometimes the puck just doesn't go in the net. He's been bad this year, for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

That he makes most things happen--or use to--through his own efforts. He isn't the type of player that does a lot of fancy passing or anything. 

Agree.  Skinner is not a fancy or great passer.  He is either creating scoring chances for himself or cashing in scoring chances that someone else created.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Krueger has had Skinner with Eichel for a fair bit lately. Too lazy to look it up. Skinner still hasn't scored.

Do I take the defense of Skinner to literally mean that unless he's with Eichel (or a top center), it's OK if he doesn't produce ANYTHING? His critics aren't necessarily asking for his production from last season. Can he score a goal? Just one? Somehow? An assist would be nice as well. Just one. He has two points in 15 games!

"It's more than a little subpar, Mr. Hoover.  It STINKS!"

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Krueger's reasoning for keep Jeff away from Jack is simpler than that, I think.

His strategy is to use Jack's line against the other team's top players (they actually did OK against the best line in the league last night despite the score).

He doesn't trust Jeff defensively in that role.

While  I can say Olafssons defense before injury was improved from October, I cannot see that much of a difference between the two.   And what is RK’s rationale coming out of the break?  When it’s not an either or situation.  
To Ligrs point about stats with/without Jack, it was imperative that he get jump started out of the gate against OTT.  And it just didn’t happen.  It’s like RK being stubborn to his detriment.   I think I saw a partial shift where he was on with Sam and Jack and within seconds a scoring chance.   

9 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Feisty? Yes. Agitator? Yes. Tough? God no. He’s a cry baby and a whiner. 

On the topic of Jeff playing with Jack rather than Victor—I believe that the primary reason for this is that Ralph believes that Skinner will benefit the team more without Jack than Victor can. Now that doesn’t excuse Jeff not playing with Jack while VO is out, I think that’s the main driving factor. 

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Am I getting this right?

I can simplify it. They are both rubbish as first liners. They are second liners at best, but neither is a leader, neither can drive his own line, and neither would be a top line player on any playoff team. 

The reality is this team has 1 allstar top line player - Jack

Two second line players with strengths and weaknesses - Skinner and Sam

One young potentially top line defenseman who is second pairing value at the moment but could and should evolve into top pairing - Dahlin

One solid second line pairing D man - Risto

One decent goalie who might be a first string goalie but really at the moment should only be playing half the year - Ullmark.

One promising rookie forward who might be a first or second liner in time - Olafsson

A few maybe prospects and that's it. The rest is a big old bag of nothing.

and thus Skinner is vastly overpaid. 

I don't understand how people are blaming Skinner for not scoring goals while he is stuck playing with Sobotka, Middlestadt and Johansson. 

Skinner has never been a player who is going to create a lot for himself, he is a player who is deadly when someone sets him up to shoot the puck. Who is setting him up?

I mean yeh we can say he has sucked but his 5 on 5 production is still near the top of the team as all 11 goals have come there.

I find it hard to place all the blame on him when he is playing with people who do not compliment his skills whatsoever.

Worst of all his skillset has been very well known for a long time. He is a sniper. Its not like he was creating a ton of chances for himself last year or throughout his career and is creating nothing this year. What have they done to help him succeed? Really nothing.

Edited by matter2003

35 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I don't understand how people are blaming Skinner for not scoring goals while he is stuck playing with Sobotka, Middlestadt and Johansson. 

Skinner has never been a player who is going to create a lot for himself, he is a player who is deadly when someone sets him up to shoot the puck. Who is setting him up?

I mean yeh we can say he has sucked but his 5 on 5 production is still near the top of the team as all 11 goals have come there.

I find it hard to place all the blame on him when he is playing with people who do not compliment his skills whatsoever.

Worst of all his skillset has been very well known for a long time. He is a sniper. Its not like he was creating a ton of chances for himself last year or throughout his career and is creating nothing this year. What have they done to help him succeed? Really nothing.

This just isn’t true. Look at his lines in Carolina. 

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

This is just not true at all.

He throws his hands up and complains to the refs for calls more than any other Sabre. He was even worse about it as a Cane. It’s absolutely true. He thinks he deserves Gretzky treatment when he’s much closer to Keith than Wayne. 

34 minutes ago, shrader said:

How many players in this league can drive a line on their own?  I'd imagine it's a very short list.  We're fortunate to even have one guy who can.

It is but that narrative doesn't work. See we have to continually run the guys out of town that are good but don't play how we want. So they suck and need a guy we like to do well. That's the formula. 

9 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Jack carries this team on his back and makes many players better. Skinner has carried us in the past, during his contract year, but that's gone with the wind....

But that's not what I am saying. Jack Eichel has not made Zemgus or Vesey better even though they have played with him. The reason he has not is because they lack the base skills to capitalize on what jack creates. A similar thing is happening to Skinner who has less skill than Jack. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.