OT: Information on Coronavirus from the Far East

Scottysabres

11 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I wouldn't barricade myself in a room with a three year supply of Twinkies but I would definitely be cognizant of the danger.  The government has bolstered personnel to deal with a possible situation.  They're taking it seriously.

If Zombieland has taught us anything, it's that you'd be far safer if you did have that three year supply of twinkies.  Granted, things would be far less entertaining, but you would be safe.

26 minutes ago, Kristian said:

That none below the age of 15 is affected, is false according to the info I’ve been getting here.

Of course it is. The poster claims “it’s very clear the median age is 56 or 59.” without a single bit of evidence to back it up. Apparently pjmedia is accustomed to pandering to those that have no use for science. Including comprehensive data would only disprove their point so.....”move along...nothing to see here...” 

Literally nothing to see here...?56 or 59...not 57 or 58...definitely not. Definitely not    57 or 58...

1 hour ago, Kristian said:

That none below the age of 15 is affected, is false according to the info I’ve been getting here.

I’ve seen media reports indicating that children are less susceptible to the worst effects of the virus, but I haven’t seen or looked for anything backing that up.  And certainly nothing saying children are not being affected at all.

• Like (+1) 1

A few thoughts:

• The company I work for put a self-quarantine directive a week or two ago for anyone who traveled to China recently and they're not to come into work for two weeks
  • The flu isn't particularly relevant here, since we understand the flu well enough to know what steps are required to keep it reasonably under control
  • Even now, no one particularly understands how bad Corona Virus is, so we're seeing China and others overreact after not reacting enough initially
  • Using fringe sites for science isn't reliable; if the person in question actually knew what they're talking about they write an article with attribution for a site with at least some standards (I'd think even Fox News or MSNBC would accept an article for someone recognized for knowing what's up)
    • Fringe science sites are for people who weren't good at science in school but blame accepted science instead of themselves

22 hours ago, Ogre said:

Of course it is. The poster claims “it’s very clear the median age is 56 or 59.” without a single bit of evidence to back it up. Apparently pjmedia is accustomed to pandering to those that have no use for science. Including comprehensive data would only disprove their point so.....”move along...nothing to see here...” 

Literally nothing to see here...?56 or 59...not 57 or 58...definitely not. Definitely not    57 or 58...

The link I posted does not go to pjmedia, it goes to instapundit.

The content you are fussing about is a quote from the content that instapundit linked to at USA today.  The content is a transcription of an interview with an expert in infectious disease.

1 minute ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

The content you are fussing about is a quote from the content that instapundit linked to at USA today.  The content is a transcription of an interview with an expert in infectious disease.

So post the link from usatoday, and not a wingnut ? site. Perception means a lot, and posting links to Eklund's Science Blog isn't convincing, even if it occasionally reposts something legitimate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

So post the link from usatoday, and not a wingnut ? site. Perception means a lot, and posting links to Eklund's Science Blog isn't convincing, even if it occasionally reposts something legitimate.

Maybe for some perception means too much.

Instapundit is not re-posting, he is linking.

He has been posting a roundup of links to coronavirus news periodically with half a dozen or so links.  These links are mostly to mainstream sites.  The link I have posted go to the roundup directly.  They have no political content.  If you do not like the site do not go there.

2 hours ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

Pjmedia is in the link anchor. If the link goes to instapundit then it was accessed through pjmedia....how else would pjmedia be in the link anchor? 

54 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

Maybe for some perception means too much.

I guess it all comes down to what you’re willing to believe. If I perceive that I’m interacting with a wingnut, I’m doing so because I believe that person to have those particular traits. I choose to get my information from reputable sources who have vetted the info for accuracy. Any false or misleading info should be corrected or eliminated from the content. For example, I know for a fact due to education and years of practical application that hospital masks are very ineffective in protecting against airborne contaminates. The linker just linked it like fact though. No attempt to warn the reader that all info hasn’t been verified. Not a good look IMO.

1 hour ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

.  If you do not like the site do not go there.

Oh I’m sure to steer clear now that I’m aware. No need to giving the charlatans clicks.

36 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Pjmedia is in the link anchor. If the link goes to instapundit then it was accessed through pjmedia....how else would pjmedia be in the link anchor? 

I guess it all comes down to what you’re willing to believe. If I perceive that I’m interacting with a wingnut, I’m doing so because I believe that person to have those particular traits. I choose to get my information from reputable sources who have vetted the info for accuracy. Any false or misleading info should be corrected or eliminated from the content. For example, I know for a fact due to education and years of practical application that hospital masks are very ineffective in protecting against airborne contaminates. The linker just linked it like fact though. No attempt to warn the reader that all info hasn’t been verified. Not a good look IMO.

Oh I’m sure to steer clear now that I’m aware. No need to giving the charlatans clicks.

pjmedia hosts instapundit.  Instapundit is editorially independent.  This is the second I have explained this.

You may know about hospital masks.  Instapundit may not (he is a law professor, not a doctor or scientist).

Why should I believe you are correct about hospital masks?   Are you a doctor or scientist?  He was quoting an expert in infectious diseases, as reported in USA Today.  How is this being a charlatan?

18 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

Why should I believe you are correct about hospital masks? 

I’ve been authorized by the USDOL to teach this stuff for the last 12 years. I renew my authorizations every four years. I instruct often. I am well trained to train. I’m not the least bit concerned that you doubt me. The best way to verify if what I’m saying is true is to schedule a qualitative respirator fit test. When they’re ready to put the isolation hood over your head ask them to switch the APR for a hospital mask. Once they squirt the noxious fumes in the hood and you start gagging and choking, then you’ll have true insight into whether I’m right or wrong. If you do that though get it on film so I can watch it. Please.

0CB832FA-6A46-4490-B86F-66E16DDF3FDC.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

he is a law professor, not a doctor or scientist).

Yet he is doling out medical/scientific advice for profit. That is THE definition of charlatan, my friend.

I’ve spent a lifetime in a career that is full of real dangers. I have seen multiple catastrophes develop before my eyes and have been fortunate to survive all of them....so far....you can’t allow fear to get ahold of you....Fear leads the fearful into peril and the charlatans lead the way. 

Edited by Ogre

34 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I’ve been authorized by the USDOL to teach this stuff for the last 12 years. I renew my authorizations every four years. I instruct often. I am well trained to train. I’m not the least bit concerned that you doubt me. The best way to verify if what I’m saying is true is to schedule a qualitative respirator fit test. When they’re ready to put the isolation hood over your head ask them to switch the APR for a hospital mask. Once they squirt the noxious fumes in the hood and you start gagging and choking, then you’ll have true insight into whether I’m right or wrong. If you do that though get it on film so I can watch it. Please.

0CB832FA-6A46-4490-B86F-66E16DDF3FDC.jpeg

As I'm sure you know, hospital masks are generally just a screen that filters out particles. If you're worried about not breathing in birds, something like a hockey mask is sufficient. If you're worried about bacteria, a particular grade hospital mask is fine since the screen is smaller that the bacteria. Viruses are smaller yet, but there's no reason a hospital-style mask can't be effective. Chemical masks are a whole different ball game, since those aren't particles.

I think you're getting at people who wear a sawdust mask while painting, and wonder why they get sick.

1 minute ago, MattPie said:

Viruses are smaller yet, but there's no reason a hospital-style mask can't be effective

You need a seal around the mask to protect from any airborne contaminates. Path of least resistance will lead any contaminates around the filter surface(which itself must be rated for the proper contaminate size). A hospital mask offers protection from droplets in the air but not anything airborne. All those folks evacuated from the cruise ship were wearing N95 respirators if you’d noticed. Like this one. It has a non porous surface that mates with the face and has an exhaust valve to elimante positive pressure to prevent ruining the seal). That is a basic minimum protection. You notice that the heath care workers are wearing SAPR? I actually use a scenario of a biological attack in the disaster site course to illustrate the need for that airtight seal. Without it you’d be  just another carcass on the floor. 

We aren’t just knuckle dragging, sawdust kicking lunatics. We send people into all sort of environments that the average construction person is not involved with(included places with biological pathogens)and take the responsibility of their safety seriously.  
 Think about how a mask seals around your face and the steps you need to take to maintain that seal if this really is the monster that some are making it out to be. Look at what the people that have proper training are wearing. I’m just trying to share real and proven information. Take my advice or not.....I’m just a dumb ***** ironworker....

EF851B28-86C1-4B63-BF4A-70B704863CCC.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Ogre said:

You need a seal around the mask to protect from any airborne contaminates. Path of least resistance will lead any contaminates around the filter surface(which itself must be rated for the proper contaminate size). A hospital mask offers protection from droplets in the air but not anything airborne. All those folks evacuated from the cruise ship were wearing N95 respirators if you’d noticed. Like this one. It has a non porous surface that mates with the face and has an exhaust valve to elimante positive pressure to prevent ruining the seal). That is a basic minimum protection. You notice that the heath care workers are wearing SAPR? I actually use a scenario of a biological attack in the disaster site course to illustrate the need for that airtight seal. Without it you’d be  just another carcass on the floor. 

We aren’t just knuckle dragging, sawdust kicking lunatics. We send people into all sort of environments that the average construction person is not involved with(included places with biological pathogens)and take the responsibility of their safety seriously.  
 Think about how a mask seals around your face and the steps you need to take to maintain that seal if this really is the monster that some are making it out to be. Look at what the people that have proper training are wearing. I’m just trying to share real and proven information. Take my advice or not.....I’m just a dumb ***** ironworker....

I absolutely didn't mean to imply that. My thought was that your line of work is more hazardous because the airborne chemicals are a lot more difficult to filter out.

3 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Question 1:

Does facial hair really impede on the effectiveness of the facial seal?

Question 2:

Ferdinand, Felix, or Frank?

5 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Question 1:

Does facial hair really impede on the effectiveness of the facial seal?

Question 2:

Ferdinand, Felix, or Frank?

Question 1...absolutely. That’s precisely why they use the noxious fumes in the qualitative test with iron workers and not the nicer smelling ones. They want to drive home the point of shaving everyday and maintaining that seal.

I’m not sure what #2 means tbh.

Oh....the middle initial? 
Fred

• Thanks (+1) 1