OT: Information on Coronavirus from the Far East

Scottysabres

2 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/02/03/opinion/deadliest-virus-we-face-is-complacency/ Read the link within the article as well.

The question with a low probability event with the magnitude of impact a pandemic can have is, can you afford for the worst case scenario to happen? It's kind of like making bets without proper attention to the payouts. As I said, our world is more mobile than ever, this can cause enormous problems if not handled properly. People call it fear mongering and then cite stats to support their opinions , it's a small risk on the other side of the world etc. I'm not saying we need to run around worrying about this, but what if the information the public is getting from the media is wrong? And, politicians (both sides), decide that it such a small risk that we don't want to impact the economy. Again, I'm saying that we need panic in the streets, but these events are important and shouldn't be cast aside lightly. As the article states this type of event could pose a much bigger risk than climate change.

What the media is reporting ultimately doesn't mean all that much.  The CDC and WHO are going to have a much better sense and those are the types of organizations people should be paying attention to.  If you want the numbers and details, go straight to them.  Whether it's due to ignorance or an agenda, using the media or politicians as a middle man for this information has a good chance of clouding the details.

• Like (+1) 1

Only confirms what a family friend has been saying out of Japan. Fear mongering? I don't think so.

A day after a team of World Health Organization (WHO) medical experts arrived in China to help investigate the deadly coronavirus outbreak, the health agencies director said "the virus poses a very grave threat for the rest of the world"

6 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Only confirms what a family friend has been saying out of Japan. Fear mongering? I don't think so.

A day after a team of World Health Organization (WHO) medical experts arrived in China to help investigate the deadly coronavirus outbreak, the health agencies director said "the virus poses a very grave threat for the rest of the world"

Good.  We need to thin out the herd.  

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Curt said:

Thats dark.

Sure but it's also how nature works. Too many of one thing living in poor conditions will inevitably succumb to disease, famine and the like. It's cyclical.  Maybe Mexican beer virus is the next plague. Hopefully, it'll thin out the job market.  

Number of cases have unexpectedly leaped by quite a bit. Who knows how the Chinese black box are reporting, but some people believe that the ability to test has now been exhausted. They are making this diagnosis clinically via symptoms and chest CT exams. People in Hubei have a fever and a chest CT shows a pneumonia? You got the diagnosis. The way they are counting dead people has also changed. Maybe this has to do with the WHO inspecting. They still haven’t let people from the CDC in, but I’m sure they know the people who are on the ground there. Let’s hope it’s not a political welcome wagon considering the WHO has been downplaying this threat since day 1. They are singing a different tune now. 

Now that the WHO is in China, the Chinese government seems to have revised the criteria for diagnosis. I’m sure we’ve all been skeptical of China’s numbers and maybe we should still be watchful. I held a bit of skepticism for the reports of the spike in SO2 levels in Wuhan(presumably from the burning of human bodies) but this uptick in reported cases/deaths grants some credence to the idea that we’ve been misinformed as to the contagiousness of this virus and the number of people afflicted. I’m personally not worried about the virus here. I’m concerned for all the people living in the heart of the outbreak. It must be terrifying to fear the knock on the door that hauls you off to God knows where for God knows how long. 

New info from friend in Japan.

Of the 3,000 + quarantined on the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship at Yokohama Naval Base our family friend says the numbers of confirmed and suspected cases are not accurate. He said it's a fluid situation and behind closed doors there are concerns the virus may or already could have cut loose in the local area where the ship is at. They are quietly investigating.

I work for a Fortune 500 company. We have several thousand employees in China and are in communication and tracking every single employee.  We have a couple hundred working in Wuhan. Just a random data point but we have 1 employee with the virus. He is recovering. We have a few people with family members ill who had to go home to care for them and have rigorous quarantine procedures in place for folks in China or traveling internationally anywhere in Asia (might expand later). We are working extremely hard to keep people and their families safe.

For folks in Hubei province without this sort of employer providing communication and support,  it must be terrifying.  

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

New info from friend in Japan.

Of the 3,000 + quarantined on the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship at Yokohama Naval Base our family friend says the numbers of confirmed and suspected cases are not accurate. He said it's a fluid situation and behind closed doors there are concerns the virus may or already could have cut loose in the local area where the ship is at. They are quietly investigating.

Crazy to think people on the ship who are not infected are now basically being forced to stay in an environment against their will where there is a high chance of them ultimately getting infected.  I would be livid if I was one of those people.  The government is in effect potentially giving these people a death sentence for no reason.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ogre said:

Now that the WHO is in China, the Chinese government seems to have revised the criteria for diagnosis. I’m sure we’ve all been skeptical of China’s numbers and maybe we should still be watchful. I held a bit of skepticism for the reports of the spike in SO2 levels in Wuhan(presumably from the burning of human bodies) but this uptick in reported cases/deaths grants some credence to the idea that we’ve been misinformed as to the contagiousness of this virus and the number of people afflicted. I’m personally not worried about the virus here. I’m concerned for all the people living in the heart of the outbreak. It must be terrifying to fear the knock on the door that hauls you off to God knows where for God knows how long. 

They already had that exact fear long before this virus showed up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My older sister is a new anti-vaxxer and somehow has become a major Conspiracy theorist lately (too much time on the internet). She loves to argue but Franky, isn't smart enough about any of this to have the opinions she does. 

I can't help but see this In society, the number of patients who spew nonsense about vaccines, the Coronavirus, the govt did this on purpose, etc etc. I just can't with any couth handle it much anymore. 

The influenza virus, by large has and will cause more damage than this one in China, the vaccination was poor this year (as it has been in recent years). This is not to discount Corona at all, the virus is real and is a thing that has the ability to spread. But the spotlight it is receiving in this new technological age is getting outta hand! 

• Like (+1) 1