OT: Information on Coronavirus from the Far East

Scottysabres

Ugh, another media driven scare. Are we all just lemmings now? Critical thinking, what's that?! 

I have some very very cynical thoughts on this all, but I feel they won't be received well so I won't comment further.

Having spent a ton of time in the 3rd world, it's amazing what our bodies can handle in an environment outside of our relatively safe, comfy borders. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Ugh, another media driven scare. Are we all just lemmings now? Critical thinking, what's that?! 

I have some very very cynical thoughts on this all, but I feel they won't be received well so I won't comment further.

Having spent a ton of time in the 3rd world, it's amazing what our bodies can handle in an environment outside of our relatively safe, comfy borders. 

This has a Wag the Dog, psy-ops bullshizz written all over it.

”Move your manufacturing out of that disease ridden place”, and talk about this instead of impeachment!

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, StuckinFL said:

Apparently I was wrong, the flu kills between 290,000 to 650,000 worldwide per year. The 12k to 61k was just in the US. The thing is though that it had a mortality rate in the US (which means first world medical care) of 0.13%. So a death rate of 2% is nothing to shake a stick at, but it's important to keep perspective. This is why organizations like the WHO and the CDC exist.

Yep, and if the CDC announced today that a coronavirus vaccine is available,  how long would the lines be?

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

This has a Wag the Dog, psy-ops bullshizz written all over it.

”Move your manufacturing out of that disease ridden place”, and talk about this instead of impeachment!

To be fair, I couldn't think of a less compelling topic than this impeachment

New diseases are interesting and sobering in their potential implications

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

My point exactly.

People don't need coronavirus to not care about this impeachment haha, they'd do that on their own

Everyone knew it was coming the second the Mueller thing fell through and didn't remove the man from office, it was obviously next up on the checklist of things to try

The idea that coronavirus is a government distraction because they're scared of people paying attention to impeachment is pretty entertaining to be honest

• Like (+1) 1

Excuse me this is politics and belongs in the politics thread. 

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

People don't need coronavirus to not care about this impeachment haha, they'd do that on their own

Everyone knew it was coming the second the Mueller thing fell through and didn't remove the man from office, it was obviously next up on the checklist of things to try

The idea that coronavirus is a government distraction because they're scared of people paying attention to impeachment is pretty entertaining to be honest

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yeah. I don't believe that either, but there is definitely a reason for it, and it certainly isn't because of the severity of this virus.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

There's nothing like some good old fashioned fear mongering.

Couple that with the fact that people are mostly (stupid) these day and viola. 

And stupid means, social media is always right, it's on insta, an influencer said so, it HAS to be correct. 

A bunch of kids and young adults fought for independence 250 years ago, and now we fight to pretend our sexual organs are different. 

We are as overpopulated as ever, the earth probably won't be able to handle what we're throwing at it for long. Humans are by nature, destructive. But nature finds a way to fight back. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

And stupid means, social media is always right, it's on insta, an influencer said so, it HAS to be correct. 

A bunch of kids and young adults fought for independence 250 years ago, and now we fight to pretend our sexual organs are different. 

We are as overpopulated as ever, the earth probably won't be able to handle what we're throwing at it for long. Humans are by nature, destructive. But nature finds a way to fight back. 

FWIW, the majority has always been stupid and pliable. That's not a new thing. What changes is the distribution of common sense among them, which, IMHO, is dictated by how "advanced" the society is. So, in first world countries today survival does not require an abundance of common sense and therefore it's not necessary to teach/transfer what's best described here as "common sense" to make up for whatever is lacking innately. The less common sense, the more easily fooled people are.

So, what we've learned so far in this universe's present timeline is that the more advanced the society, the more likely it is to be populated by tools. If they weren't populated by tools, then they wouldn't fail, would they (he asks rhetorically)?

20 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

But...but...I read it on Wikipedia 

23 hours ago, SwampD said:

Yeah. I don't believe that either, but there is definitely a reason for it, and it certainly isn't because of the severity of this virus.

I don't think it's tied to politics, though.  Every time there's a significant virus outside of our country, the media gets all whipped up into a teen girl drama frenzy.  Mad cows, SARS, ebola, whatever.

Edited by Eleven

33 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

These things are a matter of scale....2% now can be a much larger number in a hurry and be a wipeout of catastrophic proportions. I'm glad it appears we are doing the right things, cutting down on mobility etc. Remember, just because something is a small probability event, don't ignore it or play politics with it.

If it were to spread, at that point there's far more awareness of the virus.  Also, a very important factor that brawndo pointed out, with that spread it is probably moving on to a population with a much lower mortality risk.  Imagine if Jack Eichel suddenly started taking a lot of shots from center ice.  His shooting percentage drops significantly.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

If it were to spread, at that point there's far more awareness of the virus.  Also, a very important factor that brawndo pointed out, with that spread it is probably moving on to a population with a much lower mortality risk.  Imagine if Jack Eichel suddenly started taking a lot of shots from center ice.  His shooting percentage drops significantly.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/02/03/opinion/deadliest-virus-we-face-is-complacency/ Read the link within the article as well.

The question with a low probability event with the magnitude of impact a pandemic can have is, can you afford for the worst case scenario to happen? It's kind of like making bets without proper attention to the payouts. As I said, our world is more mobile than ever, this can cause enormous problems if not handled properly. People call it fear mongering and then cite stats to support their opinions , it's a small risk on the other side of the world etc. I'm not saying we need to run around worrying about this, but what if the information the public is getting from the media is wrong? And, politicians (both sides), decide that it such a small risk that we don't want to impact the economy. Again, I'm saying that we need panic in the streets, but these events are important and shouldn't be cast aside lightly. As the article states this type of event could pose a much bigger risk than climate change.

The Netflix docuseries Pandemic came out a few weeks ago before the current coronavirus outbreak, so it's well timed. Speaking as a former practicing virologist, I thought it was very well done and covers the pandemic threat from many angles..historical, surveillance,  hospital preparedness, vaccine research etc. 

As much as I agree that the modern media are usually fanning the flames of hysteria with some of these outbreaks,  we cannot afford to let our guard down.

The series starts with a researcher who is mapping a mass grave from the 1918 flu pandemic in New Jersey I believe. There were many mass graves all over this country and around the world during that time. 500 million infected and 50 million dead worldwide from the 1918 spanish flu. It's likely not a question of if, but when we see something similar.

• Thanks (+1) 2

Everyone is a critic. What I really want is news rooms keeping things quiet because previous diseases had limited impact. ?

I appreciate the free flow of information. It’s ok if this disease isn’t the plague. 

• Like (+1) 2