OT: Information on Coronavirus from the Far East

Scottysabres

I am reposting what I have learned tonight about the Coronavirus. I have a friend stuck in China, unable to leave due to quarantine, his wife sent me the video and I spoke to her this evening. Alarmed with this conversation, I called a close family friend in a nation close to China. I have a family friend, my older brothers best friend, who hails from WNY, a retired Navy Officer who is currently the head of all Naval Logistics, US Naval Bases Japan, who I spoke with this evening. Here is what I know.

FYI, a colleague of mine currently working in Chendu, China, I spoke with his wife this evening, she was on a call with him, he said 1000's dead and the call went dead. A friend of mine, a very high up retired Navy, currently head of all logistics for Yokosuka Naval Base, has told me this evening planes at an air base in japan are quarantined and a cruise ship as well. Coronavirus is not a joke folks. I have no idea where this virus came from, but, just from what I'm being told by those around me, it appears to be a nasty little sucker.

In my humbled opinion, The nation needs to be addressed.

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

Did you write that or did you copy and paste something from social media?

I wrote it.

Copied the video from what she had sent me. I give no validity to the video SDS, just what I've spoken on.

If you wish, you and I can speak PM'S, I can give you her name, but the individual in Japan, I will have to speak to him first. Fair enough?

Thousands dead fits in with the 2% mortality rate given the numbers of infected they were giving in the video. That being said the official numbers are only 425 Chinese deaths so far with an increase of full recoveries which backs up it's rather low mortality rate. SARS had a fatality rate of 9.6% but was contained with only 349 deaths in China.

The flu kills between 12,000 to 61,000 annually to give you some perspective.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Did I read that right - thousands dead?

Yes, that is what she told me her husband, my peer, had said to her.

1 minute ago, StuckinFL said:

Thousands dead fits in with the 2% mortality rate given the numbers of infected they were giving in the video. That being said the official numbers are only 425 Chinese deaths so far with an increase of full recoveries which backs up it's rather low mortality rate. SARS had a fatality rate of 9.6% but was contained with only 349 deaths in China.

I don't know anything about medical Stuck, so I'm not familiar with what the numbers actually mean. Just that the illness is bad.

2 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

Not to mention the millions that die of malaria each year.

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I wrote it.

Copied the video from what she had sent me. I give no validity to the video SDS, just what I've spoken on.

If you wish, you and I can speak PM'S, I can give you her name, but the individual in Japan, I will have to speak to him first. Fair enough?

Him and I are speaking right now SDS, he has expressed under no circumstances am I to release his name. I hope you understand.

Apparently I was wrong, the flu kills between 290,000 to 650,000 worldwide per year. The 12k to 61k was just in the US. The thing is though that it had a mortality rate in the US (which means first world medical care) of 0.13%. So a death rate of 2% is nothing to shake a stick at, but it's important to keep perspective. This is why organizations like the WHO and the CDC exist.

Edited by StuckinFL
Clarification
  • Like (+1) 1

SDS, Paul has agreed I can share this conversation portion.

Yes he did, but more needs to be done to keep the citizens informed. Trump should directly address the nation on this. It's not even debatable at this point.
Paul G. Opera
Paul
He might in the SOTU address
Ty
We'll see, but a friend of mine I worked with in TN is stuck in Chendu, his wife texted me, said it's much worse than people know.
Paul G. Opera
Paul
No doubt, China controls the reporting process and the news, kind of like the lib's in the states.
Ty
Yep, they cut hos call to her. Just an FYI

9:48 PM

Paul G. Opera
Paul
Told you!
Ty

Ty
Paul, you know I wouldn't normally ask, and I realize the comm channel we are on, but, I have to ask and I completely understand if you can't answer.
Has the command in Japan prepared for the eventuality of the situation, should the spread merit it?
Paul G. Opera
Paul
Rest assured, we as a people are prepared.
Ty
Thank you
God Bless you and Yumi Paul. You are everything when I started out, I strived to be.
Paul G. Opera
Paul
Stand tall with pride Ty. You've done things that most don't understand. With that, I am thankful to not only call you a friend, but a shipmate. Not many can say that in our worlds.
Seen by Paul G. Opera at 9:54 PM
Ty

Ty
Thank you again Paul.

34 minutes ago, StuckinFL said:

Apparently I was wrong, the flu kills between 290,000 to 650,000 worldwide per year. The 12k to 61k was just in the US. The thing is though that it had a mortality rate in the US (which means first world medical care) of 0.13%. So a death rate of 2% is nothing to shake a stick at, but it's important to keep perspective. This is why organizations like the WHO and the CDC exist.

I think the point is that the 2% mortality rate for Corona is about 15 times higher than other strains. 

Also, the video said there are 90,000 people infected across all of China, which means .006%.

So... it's more lethal than other flu bugs and with a 14 day incubation period where a person is contagious but doesn't show symptoms mean that there is quite a long period to infect others.

Early reported deaths were mostly patients with pre existing lung conditions such as COPD and Asthma. 

The density of the population centers as well as the very high levels air pollution in Wuhan contributes to the rapid spread of the disease.  Watch the cases which are in North America and the outcomes of those. 

The part where the patient was having a seizure, that can occur with any infection and temperatures over 102. 

The biggest issue is allocation of resources and personnel. With infections that primarily affect the respiratory system, treatments with nebulizers and sometimes ventilators. The Hospitals have become quickly overwhelmed and have to put in place a triage system to allocate those resources thereby increasing the death rates which we are seeing in China. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think the point is that the 2% mortality rate for Corona is about 15 times higher than other strains. 

I'll leave the numbers to you all that are in the know. I can only post what I'm being told from those I know directly over there. It seems to be a concern, even Paul, my families good friend, while confident, is concerned. There is a quarantined Japanese Cruise ship, he currently directly is involved in all facets of supplies to, including medical. He was concerned, highly concerned. He asked me not to share that portion of the conversation, that is all that I can say.

Hopefully this will begin to tail spin down. I don't know, Ben, my friend stuck in China, his wife is currently deathly afraid for him, and those numbers coming out, outside of Chinese government channels, they would scare me if I was directly in the zone of impact.

I wasn't trying to minimize the impact.  This is definitely the worst flu bug in some years, probably in our lifetimes.  I'm not in the know.  I was just crunching some numbers to provide some perspective.

My son's father-in-law is a hospital administrator in China.  He's concerned and monitoring events but so far they haven't had any cases.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I wasn't trying to minimize the impact.  This is definitely the worst flu bug in some years, probably in our lifetimes.  I'm not in the know.  I was just crunching some numbers to provide some perspective.

My son's father-in-law is a hospital administrator in China.  He's concerned and monitoring events but so far they haven't had any cases.

Thank god for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, StuckinFL said:

A 2% mortality rate is a pretty weak virus for there to be this big of a panic. Its inline with the flu and far lower than SARS and MERS.

This is irresponsible mainstream media creating a panic over something that doesn't even make any sense to create a panic over. Must be a slow time for media and they need new stories...they can get months worth of content from this.

Just take sambucol 3 times a day and you'll be good. Prevents viruses from replicating due to blocking the point of entry at the cell receptor site.

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That doesn't seem accurate. I suppose it depends on how far back and what you use to define worst.

Wasn't SARS and MERS deadlier? I don't know how you would accurately track contagiousness beyond simply number infected, but perhaps it is easier spread.

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

A 2% mortality rate is a pretty weak virus for there to be this big of a panic. Its inline with the flu and far lower than SARS and MERS.

This is irresponsible mainstream media creating a panic over something that doesn't even make any sense to create a panic over. Must be a slow time for media and they need new stories...they can get months worth of content from this.

Just take sambucol 3 times a day and you'll be good. Prevents viruses from replicating due to blocking the point of entry at the cell receptor site.

You can take it to the bank if some of the people I know are expressing concern, the panic is not only warranted, it necessitates protocol enactment. And they are no where near media, let alone mainstream media. As I've said, I'm a nobody, but, some of the people I know, they aren't. And they are taking this much more seriously than this post would dictate. There is a reason for that just so you know.