Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So how long until he is force traded out of Buffalo ROR style?

It's only a problem if you offend a good portion of your fan base when committing the crime.  ROR hit a Tim Horton's.. that's not a good look. ?

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

You can take the southerner out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the southerner. Seems like driving around with an unregistered firearm in the car is just the thing to do down there regardless of race, vocation, or economic status. 

I think the unregistered portion is speculation. He was arrested for unlawful carrying of a firearm. This morning Sal Capaccio stated on WGR that this is different than illegal carrying of a firearm. Just guessing but the unlawful portion may be due to his being intoxicated. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I think the unregistered portion is speculation. He was arrested for unlawful carrying of a firearm. This morning Sal Capaccio stated on WGR that this is different than illegal carrying of a firearm. Just guessing but the unlawful portion may be due to his being intoxicated. 

And it was probably tucked away somewhere in the car.  No less illegal, but I doubt he's drinking with that thing in a holster or tucked into his waste band.  I'd imagine that these are the types of things that get plead down instead of it turning into a Plaxico Burress situation.

41 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Ah, yes. Good catch. That's probably right.

24 minutes ago, shrader said:

And it was probably tucked away somewhere in the car.  No less illegal, but I doubt he's drinking with that thing in a holster or tucked into his waste band.  I'd imagine that these are the types of things that get plead down instead of it turning into a Plaxico Burress situation.

Based on the report I read, that definitely sounded like the situation - they found it following a search of the vehicle.

49 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I thought I read that it was unregistered, but either way I don't see it as particularly consequential. It was probably just in the glove box or something. 

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ah, yes. Good catch. That's probably right.

Based on the report I read, that definitely sounded like the situation - they found it following a search of the vehicle.

Yes, and they based their search on something that they smelled, which was that Oliver is black allegedly marijuana but it turned out there wasn't any.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yes, and they based their search on something that they smelled, which was that Oliver is black allegedly marijuana but it turned out there wasn't any.

I’m sorry, I know that drunk driving is a huge problem and terrible thing and I’m glad my four children all use UBER and are very cognizant of the risks involved in driving impaired.
However, by the time I was 22, I had six traffic stops that all could have been DWI’s. Net result, 2 traffic tickets and four “you make sure you go right home.” It doesn’t hurt being a white, respectful fairly well off male, but.....
From what I saw of Oliver’s sobriety check, he did pretty well indicating that he was impaired not falling down drunk. Again, I know some of you have strong opinions on driving while impaired and I’m not diminishing the seriousness of it, just saying you have to remember they are still kids who sometimes make mistakes. Thankfully no one was hurt in this particular situation.

42 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m sorry, I know that drunk driving is a huge problem and terrible thing and I’m glad my four children all use UBER and are very cognizant of the risks involved in driving impaired.
However, by the time I was 22, I had six traffic stops that all could have been DWI’s. Net result, 2 traffic tickets and four “you make sure you go right home.” It doesn’t hurt being a white, respectful fairly well off male, but.....
From what I saw of Oliver’s sobriety check, he did pretty well indicating that he was impaired not falling down drunk. Again, I know some of you have strong opinions on driving while impaired and I’m not diminishing the seriousness of it, just saying you have to remember they are still kids who sometimes make mistakes. Thankfully no one was hurt in this particular situation.

Tom, we share a very similar past.  Mine was 40 years ago.  My issue is that 40 years later, the following is still prevalent:

"It doesn’t hurt being a white, respectful fairly well off male."  Ed is 3 of the 4.

Edited by Tondas

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

49 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Tom, we share a very similar past.  Mine was 40 years ago.  My issue is that 40 years later, the following is still prevalent:

"It doesn’t hurt being a white, respectful fairly well off male."  Ed is 3 of the 4.

Yeah, I'm a little younger than you guys, but they didn't "smell anything in my car" in those days, either.

Just now, Eleven said:

Yeah, I'm a little younger than you guys, but they didn't "smell anything in my car" in those days, either.

They've never smelled anything in my car, either. I've been pulled over approximately 50 times.

52 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Unfortunately, I see it every day. By the way, mine was 38 years ago.

15 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Unfortunately, I see it every day. By the way, mine was 38 years ago.

It's sad that we can evolve on, "the driving while impaired is wrong issue" in 40 years, but we can't seem to evolve on the systemic racism issues.  

The man was drinking a beer while driving and another driver called 911 when they saw it.  But yeah, it must be because of his skin color. I don't know who's dumber, Oliver or the idiots claiming racism. Not to mention the hypocrisy of these claims coming from people who railed against the NBA in general, and LeBron in particular for doing what every sports league across the globe will do before starting up. 

On 5/17/2020 at 6:19 AM, Tondas said:

Ed Oliver arrested for DWI and a weapon.   Look, 22 year old kids make mistakes.  But, drunk with a pistol?  I can honestly say that I have done one of those crimes in my younger years (and you know my affinity for Marker's Mark bourbon), but never both.  With all the programs the NFL has, why.?  But, I guess a 22 year old black man may not feel or relate like the 58 year old white guy I am.  I may never feel the fear of a "random" traffic stop or the indignity of being followed in a shopping mall or the pain of one of my family and/or friends being arrested or even shot due to their skin color.  If so, I'm sure I'd have a much different perspective.  It just leaves me shaking my head and sad for Ed.  He seems like a good kid.  But why a 22 year old needs a pistol for protection (and I have no problem with the second amendment) is disappointing, but not surprising, unfortunately.  If Ed is a gun collector/enthusiast and merely left this pistol uncased in his car by mistake, I will gladly eat crow and apologize for this post (the gun part that is).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/17/ed-oliver-arrested-for-dwi-unlawfully-carrying-a-weapon/

I can tell you from professional experience that the number of 58 year old white guys driving around loaded and packing is rather higher than you'd think.  

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

I can tell you from professional experience that the number of 58 year old white guys driving around loaded and packing is rather higher than you'd think.  

Where also matters though. I could driving Cuba to Hinsdale all day long, but wouldn't think about it driving in N/Tonawanda. 

3 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Not the point I was trying to make, Sabel.  I totally agree with you about 58 year old white guys driving around loaded and packing. It may be the same for every age group.  However, minorities get pulled over at a greater percentage than non-minorities.   That's not age, it's race.

4 hours ago, Hank said:

The man was drinking a beer while driving and another driver called 911 when they saw it.  But yeah, it must be because of his skin color. I don't know who's dumber, Oliver or the idiots claiming racism. Not to mention the hypocrisy of these claims coming from people who railed against the NBA in general, and LeBron in particular for doing what every sports league across the globe will do before starting up. 

It was the "I smell something" or whatever pretext for the search that was BS and not the initial stop (which was prompted by a caller who saw him speeding toward a construction zone, not drinking a beer).  And if you want to call me and others idiots, fine, but I know how this world works.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Tondas said:

Not the point I was trying to make, Sabel.  I totally agree with you about 58 year old white guys driving around loaded and packing. It may be the same for every age group.  However, minorities get pulled over at a greater percentage than non-minorities.   That's not age, it's race.

Well, race is only a factor if the driving behavior is the same -- i.e. if a higher percentage of the members of group A, relative to group B, drives in a way that is more likely to result in getting pulled over, then those group A members are not getting pulled over because they are members of group A and not group B -- they are getting pulled over because of the way they drive.

I don't doubt that there are some cops who are more likely to pull over members of group A because they have issues with group A, but I think we need to be clear that if group A members are pulled over more frequently than group B members, it's not necessarily because they are group A members.

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

It was the "I smell something" or whatever pretext for the search that was BS and not the initial stop (which was prompted by a caller who saw him speeding toward a construction zone, not drinking a beer).  And if you want to call me and others idiots, fine, but I know how this world works.

Like that murder in Georgia of a man jogging. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not wanting to take this to a political thread, but we all know racism exists in the U.S.   How we deal with it now and how we eradicate in the future is the question.  Sadly to say, my parents had subtle racist tendencies but I was able to overcome these views and see a far better world. 

Edited by Tondas

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.