Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

On 5/8/2020 at 3:03 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m really confused by so many here thinking this improved team is going to take a step back. What in McBeane’s track record says this team is regressing?  Besides injuries how does an improved roster from a 10-6 team take a step backward, especially with NE likely taking a step back.  The Jets and Mia maybe improved, but are they really improved enough to overtake the Bills?  I doubt it.  

Ill say it here now, the East is the Bills to lose.  They will win this division and be up there with KC and Baltimore.

Maybe some here think they are taking a step back but Vegas does not.  The 2019 Win Total for the Bills was 6.5.  This years it’s 9, on what many consider a more difficult schedule.  That coupled with 4 prime time games spells respect.  Vegas also has the Pats at 9 which is fascinating.   Conceivably no QB to speak of, a questionable receiving group, and status quo on the line.  Big losses on defensive side in Collins and van Noy.  The Bills need to beat NE twice (and they should) to attain 10, and prevent Belicheat from meeting 9.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2020 at 1:31 PM, Eleven said:

The Bills signed Bryan Cox's son?!  If COVID wasn't the final sign of the apocalypse, this surely is.

I just read this. That’s hilarious! Worth more than two birdies in a bush. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Daddy got the news.

Speaking of Dolphins, my wife asked me what I wanted for Father’s Day. (Even with all of her miscarriages, she still believes that we’re parents.) I told her I’d like an Amazon gift card so I can buy books on Kindle. She said How about a Dolphins Tua jersey? I gave her the How Dare You look. Then I asked an inside joke: how about haggis? Next thing I knew, her ice cold hands were around my rib cage.

Talk about adding insult to injury when the boss knows she’s wrong but won’t admit it! That’s ok, though. I can ruin future moods and not have to get a room.

That last one is just stupid. He watched the first game of the year to make a judgement?  Josh got better and fixed his turnover issue.

And being “not quite sure” is much different than “hate.”

... maybe not in this brave new Twitterverse.

I discount a Josh Allen opinion/take from anyone - pundit, fan, or otherwise - who's come to any kind of firm conclusion on what Josh Allen is and isn't, can or can't be. His ceiling remains some sort of evolution of Cam Newton, which would, IMO, be good enough QB play to win a SB if delivered consistently. His floor is still a scary proposition, though (and includes scenarios in which his play is inconsistent within a season (boom and bust)).

So, on the one extreme are the fan bois of #BillsMafia who love to talk about Josh like he's their beer pong bro and scoff at all the h8ers, and on the other extreme are the out of town pencil neck wanna be game film analysts who peddle in Twitter click bait.

The truth, such as it is, is somewhere firmly in the middle, for now.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The truth, such as it is, is somewhere firmly in the middle, for now.

The things that give me hope for the guy is that he markedly improved his intermediate passing in year 2 (so, he showed he can improve on areas of weakness), he's got natural leadership abilities (his teammates like (love?) him and will play for him), and he seems to have the requisite balance of intelligence and ... rock headedness that seem to be the hallmarks of most successful QBs. As to the latter point, if you listen to the Pardon My Take podcast, this is a running joke from PFT: You want your QB to be smart, but not too smart. 

37 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The things that give me hope for the guy is that he markedly improved his intermediate passing in year 2 (so, he showed he can improve on areas of weakness), he's got natural leadership abilities (his teammates like (love?) him and will play for him), and he seems to have the requisite balance of intelligence and ... rock headedness that seem to be the hallmarks of most successful QBs. As to the latter point, if you listen to the Pardon My Take podcast, this is a running joke from PFT: You want your QB to be smart, but not too smart. 

I think what they are getting at is, you need your QB to be comfortable with risk, something Our last several QBs didn’t exhibit.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

That last one is just stupid. He watched the first game of the year to make a judgement?  Josh got better and fixed his turnover issue.

And being “not quite sure” is much different than “hate.”

... maybe not in this brave new Twitterverse.

I don't get the first one.  As a comparison, let's offer something completely different.  It would be one thing if Dak's number was better than Josh's, but all I see is a lower percentage from one guy in the more difficult throwing scenarios, exactly what you'd expect.  I'm sure that the difference between the numbers should be much larger, but you don't get any true feeling for the numbers with just those two data points.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think what they are getting at is, you need your QB to be comfortable with risk, something Our last several QBs didn’t exhibit.

Right. And there's a certain level of obliviousness (?), or lack of critical (obsessive?) thinking that is part of that risk-taking capacity.

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

Josh seems a little too comfortable with risk.

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I love it.

Also, after what we’ve been subjected to, it’s very welcome.

Ha. 

I will add: It's possible to dial that stuff back a bit. But it's damn near impossible to install it if just ain't there.

I have come to accept that Allen and the Bills will live and die by Josh's competitive nature and risk taking. It might not be pretty sometimes, but it's fun, and that's good enough for me. No one could ever accuse him of just punching the time clock. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I have come to accept that Allen and the Bills will live and die by Josh's competitive nature and risk taking. It might not be pretty sometimes, but it's fun, and that's good enough for me. No one could ever accuse him of just punching the time clock. 

I agree with most of this wholeheartedly. I just wish he was a little better at being a quarterback.

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The emotional rollercoaster he puts us through is unnerving.  That lateral against the Texans had me like:

"WTF are you doing"

"Whew that worked out alright"

"What the hell were you thinking"

"Did you look at the time clock"

"That's my guy and I'm thrilled about it," 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Josh seems a little too comfortable with risk.

tenor (6).gif

That was Knox's best catch of the season.

Also, for me, I give a QB 40 games to show me what he is.  I've liked a lot of what I see from Allen, but I'm not ready to deem him a "franchise QB" and I'm certainly not ready to place him above Cam Newton.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.