Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

The Fromm pick definitely struck me as good asset/roster management.

I also saw a couple of mentions on Twitter about how the Bills were partly motivated by a desire to keep him away from the Pats. Speculation, maybe, but it's fun to think about.

p.s. I heard that his hand size is 8  7/8" -- the received wisdom is that you gotta have 9" minimum to be an NFL QB. He wants to model his game after Drew Brees (which, heck yeah), but, not for nothing, Brees has huge mits - well over 10".

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I also saw a couple of mentions on Twitter about how the Bills were partly motivated by a desire to keep him away from the Pats. Speculation, maybe, but it's fun to think about.

p.s. I heard that his hand size is 8  7/8" -- the received wisdom is that you gotta have 9" minimum to be an NFL QB. He wants to model his game after Drew Brees (which, heck yeah), but, not for nothing, Brees has huge mits - well over 10".

Just curious. How are hands measured? I'd like to know exactly how much I fell short of being able to be an NFL quarterback.

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Just curious. How are hands measured? I'd like to know exactly how much I fell short of being able to be an NFL quarterback.

Make a hand turkey and measure tip of pinky to tip of thumb. I'm 9" on the dot so I guess I still have a chance to throw that football over them mountains.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Make a hand turkey and measure tip of pinky to tip of thumb. I'm 9" on the dot so I guess I still have a chance to throw that football over them mountains.

Hmmm. Do you spread your fingers as far as you can? I'm right at 9 and maybe a little more. I don't think I have big hands, and I was never able to grasp a football well enough to throw it that well or far.

23 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Hmmm. Do you spread your fingers as far as you can? I'm right at 9 and maybe a little more. I don't think I have big hands, and I was never able to grasp a football well enough to throw it that well or far.

I'd imagine a full flexed extension is permitted. That said, the measurement of the hand is just one metric. There's also stuff like grip strength, arm strength, etc. that factors into throwing the ol' pigskin.

My right hand is 9 1/8, measured the NFL way.   A pro sized football is very hard for me to grip with easy comfort or confidence.   I’ve googled articles that say the pro ball is larger than the college ball, but when measurements are given they’re ranges and seem to mostly overlap.  Add cold, ice and snow, and I think a pro hand needs to be a lot larger than mine.  I am an L in mens gloves.  Those boys have some mitts.

Edited by Neo

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How does the NFL measure hands?

Mine are 9.5 from pinkie to thumb stretched and 8 from wrist to top of the index finger.  I don’t think I have big hands and have zero problems gripping a football. I doubt Fromm’s hands are smller then mine.

51 minutes ago, Eleven said:

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

So using the method provided by various google responses, I measure just short of 9.25.  I was a little surprised, because there is no way I could throw a spiral with an NFL football.

31 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Reading the hand measurements of average dudes makes me realize that Fromm does have some itty bitty paws at 8 and 7/8. 

Burrow is 9 on the dot, btw.

The more interesting part is that I read a thing about how players do everything they can to make that hand size number as big as possible for the combine. So if 8-7/8 is the best Fromm can do, I could probably get to at least 9.5 with some training.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The more interesting part is that I read a thing about how players do everything they can to make that hand size number as big as possible for the combine. So if 8-7/8 is the best Fromm can do, I could probably get to at least 9.5 with some training.

I know a guy who used to collect debts for the mafia.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

speaking of good assets, Fromms Mom Lee. 

lee-fromm.thumb.jpg.4cacaac913dc2c56795e94267ca542db.jpg

Following the draft and FA signing, I think the Bills roster is close to set assuming most of the Vet FAs make the team and all the draft picks, except the kicker.

There isn't going to be much room for the returning bottom of the roster guys.

I also think there will only be 2 or 3 new starters.

Allen, Singletary, Diggs (new), Brown, Beasley, Knox, Ford, Dawkins, Spain, Morse and Felicano are the starting offense

Hughes, Oliver, Lotulelei, Edmunds, Milano, Wallace, White, Hyde, and Poyer are certain to return as starters

Does AJ Klein takeover for Alexander? Are there any other legit candidates?

Does Trent Murphy stay a starter, does he make the roster or does he get cut?  How do Addison and Epenesa fit in?

If I had to guess Murphy loses his job and gets cut by the Bills.  Addisons join Hughes, Oliver and Lotulelei as the D line with Epenesa and Harrison Phillips getting a ton of reps. Klein wins the starting 3rd LB job.  

If I had to guess, Vosean Joseph (LB) is a camp surprise on defense.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Does AJ Klein takeover for Alexander? 

I think technically yes, Klein takes over the starting SLB spot for Alexander. However, they're in nickel about 75% of the time. Alexander typically played less than 50% of snaps per game last year. So the other half of his time, as a pass rusher mostly on third down, will be filled by Jefferson, Epenesa or one of the other DL additions.  

I do like that Klein can provide depth at all the LB spots as well. 

Does Trent Murphy stay a starter, does he make the roster or does he get cut?  How do Addison and Epenesa fit in?

I think they keep all of them. McDermott likes to rotate all his Dline spots. Hughes is their top guy and he only played 64% of defensive snaps last year.  I expect a 60/40 split between Hughes/Addison, and Murphy/Epenesa.  Prior to the draft I also expected Jefferson to take early down DE snaps, then inside snaps on third down or passing situations. However that may now be out with Epenesa's addition, but it does provide an option if there are injuries. . 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.