Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I'll predict the Bills take either a pass rusher or an O-lineman in the 2nd round.

I'd expect edge rusher or if a stud RB falls then a RB.  Outside chance of grabbing Diggs' kid brother.

All 6 OL starters (yes, 6) from last year are still on the roster plus Waddell is healthy.  They'll draft an OL or 2, but expecting those to be day 3 guys.

From the Athletic 

54. Buffalo Bills: A.J. Epenesa, Edge, Iowa

That 5.04 40-yard dash was attached to Epenesa’s name and that was an anchor on his draft grade. But that gave Buffalo tremendous value here in the second. No, Epenesa isn’t going to scream off the edge and win with speed, but he wins with heavy hands and creates his own pass rush lanes, defeating blocks with power and savvy.

From the beat writer: The Bills needed to get younger at defensive end and were able to do that by landing Iowa edge rusher A.J. Epenesa. Starting defensive ends Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison will both be 32 or older by the end of the season. Epenesa gives them a player to develop behind two proven veterans. He has the versatility to move inside to defensive tackle in certain packages as well. His game is more power than speed but he put up double digit sacks in back-to-back seasons for the Hawkeyes. Epenesa was a popular pick for the Bills in first-round mock drafts before they traded the No. 22 picks for Stefon Diggs. It’s tough to complain about the value of getting him at No. 54. This pick also puts Trent Murphy’s roster spot in jeopardy. The 29-year-old defensive end hasn’t lived up to expectations since the Bills signed him two years ago. Buffalo could move on from him with only $1.75 million in dead cap. —Matthew Fairburn

I'm very OK with this for a second round pick. I do think he's going to "play some shifts" at OLB, and I'm fine with that, too.  Glad that the team is finally at the point where it can draft for positional need rather than best player available.  And very glad that it wasn't a running back.  Let's see an OL or TE in the next round, I hope.

Edited by Eleven

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Good pick.  Apenesa is a great athlete.  Could be a starter for a decade.

I like the pick too but evidently athleticism is not his strong suit.

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

I'd expect edge rusher or if a stud RB falls then a RB. 

Good call!

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I like the pick too but evidently athleticism is not his strong suit.

Good call!

AJ is a great athlete but has just average running speed.  Ran a 5 second 40 at the combine which is average for an edge rusher.  Was a varsity Basketball player in high school and state discus champion.  Comes from a family of gifted athletes.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I'm very OK with this for a second round pick. I do think he's going to "play some shifts" at OLB, and I'm fine with that, too.  Glad that the team is finally at the point where it can draft for positional need rather than best player available.  And very glad that it wasn't a running back.  Let's see an OL or TE in the next round, I hope.

I would argue that the Bills did both tonight with Epenesa and Moss. This is shaping up to be yet another excellent draft from Beane, especially when you factor in Diggs.

Edited by Marchand'sNose

22 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I would argue that the Bills did both tonight with Epenesa and Moss. This is shaping up to be yet another excellent draft from Beane, especially when you factor in Diggs.

What is nice is neither guy was a reach.  Before we traded for Diggs, many Mock drafts had us taking Epenesa in the 1st.  His draft score was top 50.

Moss had a top 70 grade and we drafted him 86th.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.