Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Should the Bills go after a better backup then Matt Barkley? If this is truly a real playoff team, having Barkley as the backup could destroy the season if Allen gets hurt.

The Bills have only 2 mill invested in Barkley this season and he is Allen's buddy.  However, if the goal is to win this is a position that needs to be upgraded.  I'm interested in Andy Dalton.  He is a Buffalo folk here and semi-successful starter.  

I'm also interest in Jeff Driskel.  He is a very fast and skilled runner and reminds me of Allen in many ways. I think he'd be able to execute the Allen offense, except maybe the deep ball.  He is also young enough to be a solid backup for the next 5 years.

Others?

I think that Barkley is very good for Allen.  I also don't think he's a bad backup at all.  I'd rather keep him around.

44 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think that Barkley is very good for Allen.  I also don't think he's a bad backup at all.  I'd rather keep him around.

Barkley's good for Allen.  But if he had to start, say, 4 games would he be able to win 2-3 of them?  Really doubt it.  Make him an assistant & bring in a Dalton-esque guy.  The Pegulas can afford it. ?

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Barkley's good for Allen.  But if he had to start, say, 4 games would he be able to win 2-3 of them?  Really doubt it.  Make him an assistant & bring in a Dalton-esque guy.  The Pegulas can afford it. ?

His record with the Bills suggests otherwise.  He won his lone start in 2018.  His lone "real game" in 2019 was the game where the Bills got jobbed against the Patriots, and Barkley had to come in late off the bench to play against both the Pats and the refs.  His other game in 2019 also was not a start and was not a "real game"; it was week 17 against the Jets, and the Bills were just trying to get out of there without injuries.

I think he could win 2 out of 4 games.

Andy Dalton, on the other hand, won 2 out of 13 starts last season.  5 out of 11 the year before.

Edited by Eleven

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

His record with the Bills suggests otherwise.  He won his lone start in 2018.  His lone "real game" in 2019 was the game where the Bills got jobbed against the Patriots, and Barkley had to come in late off the bench to play against both the Pats and the refs.  His other game in 2019 also was not a start and was not a "real game"; it was week 17 against the Jets, and the Bills were just trying to get out of there without injuries.

Andy Dalton, on the other hand, won 2 out of 13 starts last season.  5 out of 11 the year before.

Given the players they'd have around them, would expect Dalton to have a much better chance of winning games than Barkley would.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Given the players they'd have around them, would expect Dalton to have a much better chance of winning games than Barkley would.

Dalton is washed up, and I never was much of a believer in him to begin with.  I'd much rather have the Bills stick with the plan, maybe add a third-string project, and move forward.  I see Dalton as a step back.  

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Cinn had the worst team in the NFL last year.  No O line, no decent targets once Green got hurt are you really blaming Dalton for the inept team put around him?

If Allen missed 7 games next year, I'd be confident Andy could win us 3 or 4. I'm not confident Barkley could get to 2. Andy has plenty of problems, and can't combine his vet experience with physical gifts, but playing QB for >5 years gives a unique perspective that cannot be gained any other way, the kind of thing that allows Fitz to lead a bad roster past the GOATs in their own house in an important game. The wisdom that comes with almost a decade of reading NFL defenses while under fire is valuable to have in a backup position, even if, yes, Andy chokes in the playoffs. GA isn't suggesting bringing him here to start in the playoffs

2 hours ago, JujuFish said:

0-4 in the playoffs with 1 TD to 6 INTs and a rating of 57.8.

Much better argument, but better to have a backup who got a team to the playoffs 4 times then one who has never taken a team close to the playoffs and has almost zero experience.  In fact Barkley has only played in 14 games (7 starts) for his career.

Dalton, despite playing on an awful team still completed 59.5% of his passing for nearly 3500 yards with 16 TD and 14 int.  Dalton has played (and started) 133 games.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

We'd better go find a backup with a good playoff record to satiate these fans, sheesh

I think that player would most likely be a starter.

We need a good backup as an insurance policy against an injury to Allen.  Allen runs a great deal and that will take it's toll over time.  With our team who would you rather have start 5 straight games Dalton (133 NFL starts) or Barkley (6 NFL Starts)?   

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think that player would most likely be a starter.

We need a good backup as an insurance policy against an injury to Allen.  Allen runs a great deal and that will take it's toll over time.  With our team who would you rather have start 5 straight games Dalton (133 NFL starts) or Barkley (6 NFL Starts)?   

That's what I'm saying haha. I didn't get why Juju is worried about that stat for a backup

33 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That's what I'm saying haha. I didn't get why Juju is worried about that stat for a backup

I'm not worried. GA asked for a reason why someone might not want Dalton so I offered up a talking point. Hell, I think Dalton is probably better than Allen unless Allen makes major strides this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.