Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

58 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I want a back with elite speed more then a power back but I wouldn’t hate Harris.

He is a power back with great hands and speed.  He was clocked at 4.45 40 and 3.71 in the 20 yard shuttle this season according to Bama sources.  If comes anywhere close to these numbers at the combine we’ll be lucky to get him at 29.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And they are decent backs, but not exactly setting the world on fire.  While I generally agree on avoiding backs in the 1st rd, we are drafting at the end of the 1st rd and getting an impact player and the best available player at his position where we are drafting would be a steal imho.  Our other positions of need can be addressed in the FA market or later in the draft.  DB's like GA's Eric Stokes and Tyson Campbell will be available in the 2nd rd.  OL can be found anywhere in the draft and so can LB's (aka Milano a 5th rd pick).   TE is trickier.  If Pitts somehow falls to us, we should grab him.  

Kyle Pitts isn’t falling to us. He will be gone in top 10. I’m expecting a DL. 

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Dabol doesn’t play a fullback and I like that. I do not need this offense to start being a power running team.

And this is where I take a differing approach. I don't perceive adding weapons potential that affords alternatives as leaning heavily in to the run. I view a a big fullback as not only a run blocker, but a weak side seconds buyer in pass protection as well. The games we lost this season, Allen was under heavy pressure.

Sometimes, we can have our cake, and it eat to, at least for a couple 3 years. 

Edited by Scottysabres

24 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

And this is where I take a differing approach. I don't perceive adding weapons potential that affords alternatives as leaning heavily in to the run. I view a a big fullback as not only a run blocker, but a weak side seconds buyer in pass protection as well. The games we lost this season, Allen was under heavy pressure.

Sometimes, we can have our cake, and it eat to, at least for a couple 3 years. 

You don’t need a fullback for that and also, as Allen develops he will be able to handle that by making even quicker decisions 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

D line or linebacker first. TE second. I move on from Edmunds and pay Milano

Not that I think anything matters a whole lot unless Frazier AND Daboll are replaced 

You want both coordinators replaced?

Daboll has done an amazing job so had Frazier before this season.  I’m ok with Frazier moving on to get rid of the 4-2-5 but that could be a reflection of him making the best of some roster issues.

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Drafting a RB in the first is 10x worse idea than drafting a goalie in the first. 

That depends on close you to being a championship team.  We are really drafting for depth at mist positions.   Franchise QB. Check. Top WR. Check.  Shutdown CB. Check.  Good O-Line. Check.  Pro-Bowl caliber LB’s. Check.  

K.C drafted a RB last year in the first, because it was the one thing they were missing.  We are missing a top quality TE and RB.  No top TEs will be around at 29, but Harris might be.  Good CBs, OL and LBs, our other area of need, will be available later in the draft and free agency.  Reggie Bush described Harris as Derrick Henry with better hands and speed. 

Also the NFL doesn’t agree with you.  There has been at least 1-3 RBs taken in the 1st every year for the last 6 years.  Gurley, Michel, Elliott, Gordon, Fournette, Barkley, Penny, Jacobs and Edwards-Helaire.  I do agree that you build around RB’s anymore so I wouldn’t grab one early, but at the end of the first it makes perfect sense.

Ask yourself does McDermott go for it on the 4 and 2 before the half or the 4 and 3 before the 2nd long FG if he has Najee Harris on his roster? You bet he does.

MAF and Vasilevsky turned out ok.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That depends on close you to being a championship team.  We are really drafting for depth at mist positions.   Franchise QB. Check. Top WR. Check.  Shutdown CB. Check.  Good O-Line. Check.  Pro-Bowl caliber LB’s. Check.  

K.C drafted a RB last year in the first, because it was the one thing they were missing.  We are missing a top quality TE and RB.  No top TEs will be around at 29, but Harris might be.  Good CBs, OL and LBs, our other area of need, will be available later in the draft and free agency.  Reggie Bush described Harris as Derrick Henry with better hands and speed. 

Also the NFL doesn’t agree with you.  There has been at least 1-3 RBs taken in the 1st every year for the last 6 years.  Gurley, Michel, Elliott, Gordon, Fournette, Barkley, Penny, Jacobs and Edwards-Helaire.  I do agree that you build around RB’s anymore so I wouldn’t grab one early, but at the end of the first it makes perfect sense.

Ask yourself does McDermott go for it on the 4 and 2 before the half or the 4 and 3 before the 2nd long FG if he has Najee Harris on his roster? You bet he does.

Sorry the Superbowl winning Kansas City Chiefs were missing that one thing... think about that for a second. 

Also running back play is extensively determined by blocking on the o line. We would be better off drafting a guard and fixing the blocking than wasting another top 3 round pick on a RB. You can literally sign undrafted free agent backs that go on to be stars... see Jacksonville. RB might be the easiest position to replace in all of football. If I have the chance between TE and RB... I am taking a TE. Again though, I think Buffalo needs a guard. 

Also Singeltary is just a bad back but that doesn't mean you waste picks to fix that. Williams already looked better than Singeltary in his limited showing. 

Derrick Henry is good but he is really good because his teams o-line is good. Drafting RB's in the first round is stupid. 

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So did Ryan Miller, Linus Ullmark, John Gibson, Matt Murray, Carter Hart, etc... 

I could go on and on and on. Matter of fact looking over Vezina winners the last decade guess how many were first rounders? 2. 

So again, don't draft goalies in the first, don't draft RB in the first. 

Cook, Jones, Robinson, J Taylor, D. Henry, Sanders, Mixon.... all second round or later RB's. Don't draft a RB in the first round. You can literally find RB's everywhere but unless you fix the run blocking, it won't matter much. Sure Singeltary isn't good, he has mediocre vision, speed, and never seems to break tackles but wasting a first round pick to replace him on a team that throws the ball 60% of the time is crazy when a guard or TE would probably help the run game more. 

Derrick Henry was drafted 45th overall btw. If you really want a RB, trade down from 30 and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick (whatever the compensation says) and then you can get a RB in the second (which is still dumb) and a player you actually need like a Guard, TE, CB. 

I agree that the run blocking needs to improve and I expect some O line changes in Free Agency and a slightly different approach from the O line coach to improve run blocking.  

I disagree about the RB in the first.  While I agree that RB's aren't the centerpieces they once were and they have limited shelf lives at top form, we are a top SB contender for the next 5 years before cap hell likely sets in.  We are looking for difference makers who can step in and make a difference now and for the next few years.  Harris at where we are drafting is one such player. 

As to your argument about good running backs later in the draft, you can say that about any position in the NFL.  Top WR, OL, LB, CBs have been drafted throughout the draft.  Even QB's  For example Brees was a 2nd rd pick, Brady a 6th, Russell Wilson a 3rd.  WR DK Metcalf was a late 2nd rd pick.  Poyer and Hyde, our excellent Safety's were a 7th round pick and 5th pick respectively.  Milano is a 5th rd pick.  We can go on like this forever.  

I'd love a TE, but there won't be a difference maker available at 29.  It's possible Harris slips to the early 2nd rd like Nick Chubb did so it would be a calculated risk to trade down, but hoping he falls to 60+ is a pipe dream.  There is no other back in this draft that fits are needs so perfectly and Singletary and Moss are great depth, but Harris gives Allen a excellent safety net to keep him from holding the ball to long.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Kinda of telling you didn't name a QB drafted in the last 10 years that is really good at went 3rd or later. Guess Wilson might be the only EXCEPTION. Versus naming top running backs right this second all drafted recently, all outside the first round. 

Drafting a RB in the first round is ***** stupid. 

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Needs to be a Barkley / Peterson level of talent for a RB to be a sensible pick in the first round, and even then, it needs to be a team with almost all needs already addressed.

The Bills surprisingly need help everywhere.

O-Line has 2 big FAs, questions about their run blocking and Cody Ford injury concerns.

TE - Knox is ok, but look what an high end or elite guys did to us in the playoffs against both Indy and KC.  Wouldn’t it be great to have a safety blanket like that for Josh?  

RB - Who do we have that can catch out of the backfield, can be counted on to get a critical yard or two and help seal a victory.  No one.

WR - Brown is probably gone. Speed kills and we have no one, except maybe McKenzie who can truly stretch the field.

D-line - look for cap savings moves here. Maybe Star coming back will help. AJ needs to make a bigger impact next year.

LB - Do they re-sign Milano? Do they extend Edmunds? Do they do start a 3rd LB to help stop TE’s and the run?  They need more depth here regardless.

DB’s - White needs help. Wallace and Norman aren’t good enough.  Maybe Dane Jackson will grow into that role.  At S Poyer and Hyde aren’t getting younger.

At 30 in the 1st round, I’d like to see Najee Harris.  IMHO (and Mel Kiper’s) he is a real difference maker who’d be available to us at 30. However, Beane taking an O-Line, LB, or a cover Corner is probably more likely. If OL Leatherwood somehow falls to us, I might also be inclined to take him. 

Keep tossing Harris out there. It will continually be a bad idea and you listed multiple reasons as to why. RB is an easily replaceable position that you should never spend much of anything on. Yeldon can catch out of the backfield. Find an UDFA after the draft, it is a complete ***** waste to spend a 1st or even a 2nd this year on a RB. Without better run blocking, you could put Derrick Henry back there and barely see a difference. Running Back does not matter. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-patriots-49ers-select-qbs-in-round-1

Pick

Buffalo Bills

Najee Harris · RB

School: Alabama | Year: Senior

The Bills took a big step forward in 2020, but they need more balance in their offense. The physical three-down runner with talent as a receiver out of the backfield could immediately upgrade not just the running game but the offense overall.

Apparently, Mel Kiper and I aren't the only ones who think this would be a good idea

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-patriots-49ers-select-qbs-in-round-1

Apparently, Mel Kiper and I aren't the only ones who think this would be a good idea

It doesn't make any sense with Moss and Singletary, or with what Beane sad at the end of the year presser. We didn't suck because of the rbs, it was our line.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.