Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

13 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It doesn't make any sense with Moss and Singletary, or with what Beane sad at the end of the year presser. We didn't suck because of the rbs, it was our line.

Our RBs aren't good enough at catching out of the back field to give Allen an outlet. Nor are they good enough to get a crucial yard when we need it.  Our line was just part of the problem.  There is no question that Beane may stick with what we have.  It's also doubtful they draft Harris given the needs at LB, OL and CB, but Harris is a huge upgrade on what we have and would be a great added weapon to an offense that desperately needs an every down RB, who can catch out of the backfield.  

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Our RBs aren't good enough at catching out of the back field to give Allen an outlet. Nor are they good enough to get a crucial yard when we need it.  Our line was just part of the problem.  There is no question that Beane may stick with what we have.  It's also doubtful they draft Harris given the needs at LB, OL and CB, but Harris is a huge upgrade on what we have and would be a great added weapon to an offense that desperately needs an every down RB, who can catch out of the backfield.  

I don't know if there are stats to either side of the debate here for these points, but I very much disagree with this. I remember a lot of instances Moss closing out a game or going out in the flat and making a great catch.

He's probably an upgrade, I wouldn't know to be honest. But yeah I agree that with the holes we have, and I agree with the holes you listed, Harris won't be high on our list.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Show me a RB that has taken a team to the Super Bowl.  Even if Harris is every bit as good as you want him to be, RB is just not that important of a position, particularly when the run blocking is bad.

48 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Show me a RB that has taken a team to the Super Bowl.  Even if Harris is every bit as good as you want him to be, RB is just not that important of a position, particularly when the run blocking is bad.

Shaun Alexander 

1 hour ago, JujuFish said:

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Shaun Alexander 

Todd Gurley 2018, Marshawn Lynch 2013.   

But your also missing the point.  We are Super Bowl contender without a running game.  We aren't asking the running back to carry the team, just to get us over the top.  Even KC, after just winning a Super Bowl, used their 1st rd pick on a RB to enhance that part of their game and make them even better.  One of the reason they are playing on Sunday and we aren't was their running game and their ability to close out the game and get tough yards when they need them.  We can't and don't.  That is because of our mediocre backs and poor run blocking.  This is going to change this off-season.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Are you kidding or do you just mean recently?

34 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You're underrating Goff, dawg.

Kadarius Toney would replace John Brown if he’s there. It would keep our offense explosive and save 8$ mill.  Let Milano walk, resign Feliciano.  Don’t overpay for Williams.  Just no money this year. Cut Murphy, Kroft, few others and sign who we can in free agency.  Then go BPA rest of the way (TE, OL, Edge, Lber, CB).  After Next year we can reload with remaining needs and draft for a serious run. We need a franchise TE for sure at some point.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Kadarius Toney would replace John Brown if he’s there. It would keep our offense explosive and save 8$ mill.  Let Milano walk, resign Feliciano.  Don’t overpay for Williams.  Just no money this year. Cut Murphy, Kroft, few others and sign who we can in free agency.  Then go BPA rest of the way (TE, OL, Edge, Lber, CB).  After Next year we can reload with remaining needs and draft for a serious run. We need a franchise TE for sure at some point.  

The cap is certainly the biggest issue for the Bills this off-season and will lead to some very tough decisions.  Does he re-sign Milano?  What does he do with Hughes or Addison?  How does he upgrade the TE?  After Diggs, Beasley and Davis how does he approach the WR; does McKenzie come back, what about Roberts or Hodgins or even another draft pick?  What about the O Line? Re-sign Feliciano? Williams? What about CB? I’d like to upgrade Levi Wallace.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, WildCard said:

Shaun Alexander 

Not only is that example 15 years old, but Seattle had the #3 passing offense by DVOA that year, which was higher than their #4 rushing offense rank by DVOA.

12 hours ago, Eleven said:

Are you kidding or do you just mean recently?

You're underrating Goff, dawg.

Depends on how you define recently, but I mean relevant to today's game.

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But your also missing the point.  We are Super Bowl contender without a running game.  We aren't asking the running back to carry the team, just to get us over the top.  Even KC, after just winning a Super Bowl, used their 1st rd pick on a RB to enhance that part of their game and make them even better.  One of the reason they are playing on Sunday and we aren't was their running game and their ability to close out the game and get tough yards when they need them.  We can't and don't.  That is because of our mediocre backs and poor run blocking.  This is going to change this off-season.  

Both of your suggestions have already been turned away.

We're a team that is contending, but we're also about to see an enormous salary cap drop and we have to deal with several significant contracts.  And we have weaknesses to fill.  And terrible run blocking.  You're the one missing the point.  A *potentially* great RB doesn't change any of that.

2 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Not only is that example 15 years old, but Seattle had the #3 passing offense by DVOA that year, which was higher than their #4 rushing offense rank by DVOA.

I mean he ran for 1880 yards with 27 tds, the 2nd most in a single season ever. DVOA all you want he won the MVP that season. They had a pedestrian QB in Hasselback while he was effective, they threw it volume wise at the bottom end of the league because they had Alexander.

I get the example is old and I'm not advocating a RB, but he took them to that SB

Best receiving games by Bills TEs in 2020 reg season:
Kroft: 4/64
Knox: 3/51
Knox: 2/36
Knox: 1/36
Knox: 4/34

Those are the only games any TE went over 30 yards, and no TE caught more than 4 passes in any single game.

— Sal Capaccio 🏈 (@SalSports) February 3, 2021

gotcha

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

I mean he ran for 1880 yards with 27 tds, the 2nd most in a single season ever. DVOA all you want he won the MVP that season. They had a pedestrian QB in Hasselback while he was effective, they threw it volume wise at the bottom end of the league because they had Alexander.

I get the example is old and I'm not advocating a RB, but he took them to that SB

Yeah, I forgot that was his 27 TD season.  He was a monster that year.  Then the Madden curse!

So, really, all you need is a HoF-level RB having the best year of his career wherein he ties the NFL record for rushing TDs in a season, all in order to go to the Super Bowl...once in that RB's career.  And lose.  😛

• Haha (+1) 1

Terrell Davis lead Den to two straight super bowl wins, but again the goal isn’t to anchor this team with a HOF RB.  It’s to get a good running game to take pressure off of Allen, to get tough yards when needed and to catch balls out of the back field to further enhance the passing game.  None of which we do well now.  Yes better blocking will help but better RBs will also.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Terrell Davis lead Den to two straight super bowl wins, but again the goal isn’t to anchor this team with a HOF RB.  It’s to get a good running game to take pressure off of Allen, to get tough yards when needed and to catch balls out of the back field to further enhance the passing game.  None of which we do well now.  Yes better blocking will help but better RBs will also.

And now you're talking about actual decades ago and a back taken in the 6th round.

On 2/4/2021 at 8:53 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

One of the reason they are playing on Sunday and we aren't was their running game and their ability to close out the game and get tough yards when they need them.

There were a lot of reasons that they moved on.  Their running game was not that high on the list.  We out-rushed them in that game.  And, when KC needed to close out their game against the Browns, they did it with a Chad Henne 13-yard run and a 4th-down pass play to a wide receiver, both with formerly-undrafted-free-agent Williams in the backfield (CEH was out with injury.)

On 2/5/2021 at 12:07 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Teams figured out the Bills offensive line was bad at run blocking, until you fix that teams will drop into coverage. You could add Derrick Henry to the Bills and it wouldn't change munch. 

RBs are easily replaceable 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.