Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

15 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Following next week, given who's left in the NFC, we may very well be on a collision course with destiny, a chance to face the Bills biggest nemesis, Tom Brady.

Would make for one hell of a story line if it plays out this way. A once in a 100 year sports event imo.

Most definitely!!!  Gotta add the Super Bowl is also in Tampa.... Super Bowl XXV.... Norwood’s wide right....  Yes, one hell of a story line.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not to hard to dislike Gators.  

These announcers are so infatuated with Lamar’s athletic ability, that they forget that Allen is a monster athlete himself. Honestly as good as Lamar is on the ground, he is exceedingly mediocre in the passing game.  Allen is a better QB plain and simple.  He is arguably the 2nd best running QB, but is also now in the top 3 or so gunslingers in the NFL.

Who do you want; the guy with 5000 yards of offense and 46 TDs or the guy with 3750 yards of offense and 33 TDs?  Josh had 4544 yds passing plus another 433 running and receiving with 46 TDs.  Jackson gained 1000 rushing yards again, but was 1800 yards short throwing and only 33 TDs.  This game somewhat proved who the better QB is.  

I don't recall these announcers ever saying that Jackson is better than Josh. Why is it surprising that when these announcers, or any announcers, talk about Lamar and his style of play it revolves around his outstanding athleticism and ability to run, especially at the qb position? The reason why it is stressed is because it is true. Most of the plays he makes are associated with his running, and that includes his passing game. Lamar simply plays the position differently than most qbs. That's evident. 

Especially this year after Allen's stunning leap forward in his development from a raw and unbridled style of play to one of the most accurate and smarter qbs I have heard few announcers and analysts, if any, say that the Baltimore qb is better than the Buffalo qb.   

I'm not disagreeing with your descriptions of the players. It is spot on. What I am to an extent disagreeing with is that either of the announcers inaccurately portrayed or more favorably portrayed one of the qbs over the other. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't recall these announcers ever saying that Jackson is better than Josh. Why is it surprising that when these announcers, or any announcers, talk about Lamar and his style of play it revolves around his outstanding athleticism and ability to run, especially at the qb position? The reason why it is stressed is because it is true. Most of the plays he makes are associated with his running, and that includes his passing game. Lamar simply plays the position differently than most qbs. That's evident. 

Especially this year after Allen's stunning leap forward in his development from a raw and unbridled style of play to one of the most accurate and smarter qbs I have heard few announcers and analysts, if any, say that the Baltimore qb is better than the Buffalo qb.   

I'm not disagreeing with your descriptions of the players. It is spot on. What I am to an extent disagreeing with is that either of the announcers inaccurately portrayed or more favorably portrayed one of the qbs over the other. 

I never said the announcers said Lamar was better.  I said they were infatuated with his athletic ability.  I said Josh is better and proved it on the field, both during the regular season and the this game.

What annoys people and me as well is they talk about Lamar in such glowing terms ignoring what is happening on the field in front of him.

An article I read today talks about Balt needing to worry that their offense designed around Lamar looks tired and they now have to watch all the young gunslingers in the AFC such as Mahomes and Allen and they have no passing game.  That isn’t a recipe for success longterm.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

16 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

I didn't realize until today that last year's Heisman Trophy winner (Joe Burrow) is actually older than last year's NFL MVP (Lamar). 

If that blew your mind, wait until you compare the age of the youngest remaining QB in the NFC with the oldest remaining QB in the AFC.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I never said the announcers said Lamar was better.  I said they were infatuated with his athletic ability.  I said Josh is better and proved it on the field, both during the regular season and the this game.

What annoys people and me as well is they talk about Lamar in such glowing terms ignoring what is happening on the field in front of him.

As I stated in the original post I agreed with your description of the qbs. It is accurate. The reason why people are infatuated with his athletic ability is that it is the essence of how he plays the position. His athleticism is a factor when he runs and even when he passes. And as unconventional as it is you can't deny that he has been successful as a starting qb leading his team to good regular season records and playoff participations in his short tenure. My basic point in my original post is that it shouldn't be surprising that what most distinguishes him as a qb and how he plays the position from almost every other qb in the game is that which is highlighted. 

The attached article is from the Olean Times Herald by Chuck Pollock.  I can't think of a bigger play at a critical moment in a game. What makes this play even more unique is that it was made by one of the lesser prominent players on the team. The Houston playoff comeback game with Reich as the qb is etched in my mind but that game included a series of outstanding plays. If anyone can think of a bigger play in the Bills history I would like to know what it is. 

Johnson takes his place in Bills’ lore | Olean | oleantimesherald.com

13 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I will say any, instead of either.

I want the Chiefs and then the Packers.

The Bills can beat both of them and I really feel that they will.

I want Cleveland just because I want another game here.  I don't go to the games, but it's still a fun atmosphere in the city.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The attached article is from the Olean Times Herald by Chuck Pollock.  I can't think of a bigger play at a critical moment in a game. What makes this play even more unique is that it was made by one of the lesser prominent players on the team. The Houston playoff comeback game with Reich as the qb is etched in my mind but that game included a series of outstanding plays. If anyone can think of a bigger play in the Bills history I would like to know what it is. 

Johnson takes his place in Bills’ lore | Olean | oleantimesherald.com

Jeff Wright tipping John Elway’s Pass that Carlton Bailey returned for a Pick Six to score the Bills only TD in a 10-7 Victory over Denver in the 1992 AFC Championship Game is up there. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Jeff Wright tipping John Elway’s Pass that Carlton Bailey returned for a Pick Six to score the Bills only TD in a 10-7 Victory over Denver in the 1992 AFC Championship Game is up there. 

It's amazing how time flies by. In your example you are looking back more than a quarter century ago. 

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

What is incredible to me is that they are in the AFC Championship Game and I don’t feel they played anywhere near their best game yet, especially on offense.

That's why I wrote my post, although I think the wind hurt the Bills more then the Ravens. The Bills seem to have faced every though defense recently; Pitt (3rd), Mia (6th), Ind (10th) and now Balt (2nd).  What is so special is this team has faced every challenge and won.  Pitt needed to win to keep the second seed and avoid a losing streak.  The Bills won.  Mia needed a win to make the playoffs and the Bills destroyed them.  Obviously Indy and Balt needed to win to move on and the Bills won despite a great Indy game plan and the great Lamar.  Bills frankly destroy Balt in a more normal wind.  Also playoff wins often look ugly because it's a best on best tourney.

The remaining teams rank: Saints (5th), TB (8th), GB (13th), KC (11th), Cleve (21st) and us (16th).  Personally, I think our D is as good as any of the remaining teams.  I think Leslie Frazier and the D learned a great deal about how to handle the run.  We can beat any of the remaining teams.  KC, Cleve, TB, and NO are all very vulnerable to the pass. 

Old guard vs New guard Super Bowl no matter what happens.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

Remember when a healthy portion of people in this discussion were clamoring for the firing of Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott because starting the season with Josh and Nathan Peterman was a fireable offense that showed their incompetence? 

I do. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I remember OJ running the field, the Ferguson passes, Butler and Lewis as the wideouts. The 90's team. Flutie try. And then............that trade with New England, Bledsoe to Buffalo allowing Brady to take the helm in New England. Still unimaginable Buffalo's involvement in their own 20 years demise.

Now, it's looking like we have the right team, at the right time. I'm impressed with the achievements of this regime to date. There is next weeks game to get ready for. I think we win it, no matter if it's the Browns or the Chiefs. 

Following next week, given who's left in the NFC, we may very well be on a collision course with destiny, a chance to face the Bills biggest nemesis, Tom Brady.

Would make for one hell of a story line if it plays out this way. A once in a 100 year sports event imo.

We have many middle aged men here.  My first Bills game was OJ's first Bills home game.  I was 3.  Scary how time flies. 

• Like (+1) 2

I found this is my Dad's papers.  It's a bunch of autographs from the 1949 Bills (AAFC).  ND's George Ratterman was the QB.  I don't know if it's a partial sign in sheet or if my Dad who used to park cars across the street from the Rockpile had a list of Bills players and checked them off as he got their autographs.  I think it's the latter because why would the coach sign in on a sign in sheet.

Anyway this is the oldest Bills piece of memorabilia I own and I thought SS members would like to see it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/bba/1949_roster.htm

Joel Hunt, the coach listed on the autograph sheet, is a College Football HOFer as a player and was Georgia's HC in 1938.

CCF_000010.jpg

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Remember when a healthy portion of people in this discussion were clamoring for the firing of Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott because starting the season with Josh and Nathan Peterman was a fireable offense that showed their incompetence? 

I do. 

I was ready to fire the entire Bills organization after they traded up to draft Allen.  I guess I was slightly wrong. Maybe. 😛

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.