Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

7 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Perhaps weirder than you even realize.  The last time a team won while neither scoring a TD nor punting the ball in was 1941, when Washington beat the Brooklyn Dodgers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFLonCBS/status/1320480742858698768

Nope. We should use a once in a century occurrence as a barometer for how good the Bills are.  They are so good, they can move up and down the field, sometimes kicking the ball from great distance to slowly accumulate points. It’s genius.  

• Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, SwampD said:

They didn't suck against the Chiefs.

It depends on the point of view. Some would say that we held the high flying Chiefs offense to under 30 points for the first time on the season. Hill and Mahomes were for the most part held in check, while they are true statements I saw things a little differently.

On offense, the Bills barely tried to establish the run, I can't remember in recent years the amount of empty backfields we had. This has been a theme most games and the Chiefs were ready to defend knowing Daboll's tendency to want to pass a lot. The Chiefs also know that Allen likes going for the mid range to deep balls and defended well. The Chiefs recognized that Brown has been out and covering Diggs was much easier without a secondary deep threat like Brown (I know the Rook has been decent but he's not quite there yet) The Chiefs played defense expecting the mid to deep passes and did an excellent job, the Bills didn't really adjust well either. 

On offense for the Chiefs, they did exactly what they had to do. They knew it was raining, knew they could run the ball against our average to meh run defense and passed only when they really needed to. Mahomes didn't have a big game because he didn't need a big game, they were gaining 6yds per carry and we couldn't stop them. If i remember correctly, Mahomes picked up a couple 3rd downs with his legs as well.

Defensively for the Bills, they just couldn't stop the run and get off the field. It was a winnable game but the offense just wasn't there and it wasn't clicking. We really need to get our RBs going and improve run blocking, Allen cant be throwing 35-40+ times a game. 

Overall comments (not about the Chiefs game)- I think John Brown's injury has been brutal for the offense, he's a top 3 WR2 in the league and Diggs benefits from him being on the field. Dawson Knox, I am pulling for this kid but the dropsies are brutal and now he's out with covid. Kroft is slowly emerging as the TE1 and hes okay. I think we are missing Star on the DL more than we realize, he rarely showed up on the stat line but he pretty much draws double teams by the opposing OL freeing up the rest of the line. Lawson and Philips are missed, the vets we signed just aren't quite there, Hughes has slowed (though he played a great 2nd half yesterday) Harry Philips has been benched two games in a row now. Oliver isn't having a great season so far. Is Milano going to stop getting hurt and be 100%? The defense is far better when Milano plays.

There's a lot to unpack with the Bills, I think we are pretty lucky to be 5-2. If we can go 5-4 the rest of the way I will be happy.

The analytics of the Bills shows a very flawed team but improving.  One big one is the fact we’ve been out scored overall.  McDermott has done a great job changing the culture and direction of this organization. But I still think with what he inherited, year 4 is not enough time to be a top contender.  But we are competing for the division so progress. I still think we need a few more off-seasons.  Having a young, talented, and developing QB gives us time.  Our GM seems to handle the cap well.  The bad news is probably not a super bowl this year.  I think the goal is to win the division and win a playoff game.  The good news is we should be in the mix the next decade to have a good competitive team.   

Patriots' WR Julian Edelman underwent a precautionary standard knee procedure this morning, per source. It is expected to sideline Edelman for “some period of time”, including Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 29, 2020

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Patriots' WR Julian Edelman underwent a precautionary standard knee procedure this morning, per source. It is expected to sideline Edelman for “some period of time”, including Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 29, 2020

This does nothing to quell my fears about this game. 

1 hour ago, carpandean said:

Gashed is a little strong ... 11 carries for 60 yds.

If they Jets had any brain power at all he would have had 20 carries for north of one hundred yards.  Don’t let their incompetence fool you into believe the Bills can do anything to stop the run right now.  

2 hours ago, inkman said:

If they Jets had any brain power at all he would have had 20 carries for north of one hundred yards.  Don’t let their incompetence fool you into believe the Bills can do anything to stop the run right now.  

If they had any intelligence, at a minimum they would've had Gore carry on the 4th & 1 attempt rather than the little guy that did carry it.

17 hours ago, inkman said:

This team was gashed by Frank Gore.  I could easily see the Pats running for 300 against the Bills. 

This is a valid concern.

Maybe Belichick will come out and have the Pats run a military academy style triple wing option. (Hat tip to the Pardon My Take guys for that joke (maybe not a joke).)

46 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is a valid concern.

Maybe Belichick will come out and have the Pats run a military academy style triple wing option. (Hat tip to the Pardon My Take guys for that joke (maybe not a joke).)

Didn't Bellycheat start out at Army?  You might be onto something there. 😉

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Something about the academies, for sure. Was his dad with Navy?

His father was an assistant at Navy and Belichek has always been considered a savant when it comes to the history of the NFL and football in general.

He loved having Flutue drop kick an extra point and I’m sure the triple option intrigues him.

• Thanks (+1) 2

I’m thinking about Sunday’s game way, way more than I have thought about any other Bills game in a long time — from an anticipation standpoint. It’s weird.

And it was instructive to me to talk with my youngest about the game. He was like, “the Bills should win walking away - the Patriots are trash - it looks like Cam’s back to being bad, they have no one at receiver,  and their defense isn’t very good either - they’re slow.”

He just doesn’t have - nor is he buying- the full force and effect of the Belichick bogeyman.  

And I want to believe. I want to Billieve. 

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’m thinking about Sunday’s game way, way more than I have thought about any other Bills game in a long time — from an anticipation standpoint. It’s weird.

And it was instructive to me to talk with my youngest about the game. He was like, “the Bills should win walking away - the Patriots are trash - it looks like Cam’s back to being bad, they have no one at receiver,  and their defense isn’t very good either - they’re slow.”

He just doesn’t have - nor is he buying- the full force and effect of the Belichick bogeyman.  

And I want to believe. I want to Billieve. 

I want to as well. On paper we're the better team but two things worry me . The effect of the weather on us offensively and  Belichik out coaching us. Like it or not he's a hall of fame coach and he can game plan better than any coach in the league.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.