Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

25 minutes ago, Radar said:

I've thought for a while now that our defensive stats looked better than the defense really is. I know stats are the stats but this defense doesn't seem to put games away giving up leads . I thought going into the Rams game it would be a high scoring game and the offense would have to win it not the defense. The Rams have a good offense and are a well coached team but giving up a huge lead like that?

I hear you. I did not have the benefit of watching the game, but, based on what I heard from people whose opinion I respect, the Rams came on like a house of fire not because our D choked or let up on the gas, or whatever, but because the Rams coaches figured out better ways to attack our defense, and did so on an in-game basis. Full marks to them. I think that the Rams are good this year - maybe really good.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Not quite sure I follow this*, but, at the very least, their take on Allen has been shown to be stupid for another week.

* Okay, I get it now. https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ref/nate-silver-was-right.html

The who now?

Possibly the montage of 8-10 people they kept showing cheering on tiny tv screens prior to cutting away from the broadcast, and maybe Kurt Warner. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yolo over at TSW seriously needs to be paid by @SDS at this point lol

There are a number of theories for the surge, from high-level quarterback play to the coronavirus pandemic-related loss of home-crowd advantage. All have merits. But there is another direct correlation, an inorganic root emanating from the league office. At the direction of its new leadership team, on-field officials have changed the way they enforce penalties -- especially offensive holding -- in a way that is too dramatic to ignore.

The decision has not only helped offenses, by cutting their penalty yards in half, but it has also led to slightly quicker games and certainly less public discussion about officiating.

Few fans would object to such aesthetics, and you've heard no complaints from teams. It's fair to ask whether the league can or will credibly sustain this effort, and to question where it will lead to as players and coaches test their new boundaries. More than anything, this episode is a stark reminder of how the NFL can manipulate its product without changing a single rule. It is football's equivalent to juicing the ball, an artificial injection of energy into the game.

(1) We've never had an NFL season open with this level of scoring. There are multiple explanations, from high-level QB play to the loss of home-crowd advantage. But in plain sight, an artificial (and largely welcomed) manipulation is underway. COLUMN: https://t.co/6wIMFFlwGR

— Kevin Seifert (@SeifertESPN) September 30, 2020

(3) Why is the NFL doing this? It won't say. Might be related to challenging conditions for officials in the pandemic. Competing in a crowded sports landscape? Concerns about (unaided) quality of play? No one is complaining, but it is a big part of the 2020 story.

— Kevin Seifert (@SeifertESPN) September 30, 2020

Wait. I’m confused.

You mean,... the way a game is officiated can have a direct impact on the outcome of the game?!

I mean, what if in the past, and the is purely hypothetical, the refs only called the game that way for one team?! They could have directly affected the outcome of a game?!

Sounds like dirty hippie conspiracy talk to me.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Wait. I’m confused.

You mean,... the way a game is officiated can have a direct impact on the outcome of the game?!

I mean, what if in the past, and the is purely hypothetical, the refs only called the game that way for one team?! They could have directly affected the outcome of a game?!

Sounds like dirty hippie conspiracy talk to me.

So I stopped watching the NFL four or five years ago because I despise the NFL as a corporate entity, and because I was sick of arbitrary calls taking the games out of the hands of players, and review robbing me of the joy of the moment. I no longer enjoyed watching it.

I came back this fall because of Josh Allen and because of COVID. And the first two games were well worth it. I was watching the players not the officials. And the Bills were good.

Doubt returned Sunday after two questionable calls. The fact the second allowed us to pull victory out of the jaws of defeat only partially masked that.

If the league is responsible for what I saw the first two weeks, it is the first positive thing it has done in years.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/30/2020 at 12:20 PM, dudacek said:

So I stopped watching the NFL four or five years ago because I despise the NFL as a corporate entity, and because I was sick of arbitrary calls taking the games out of the hands of players, and review robbing me of the joy of the moment. I no longer enjoyed watching it.

I came back this fall because of Josh Allen and because of COVID. And the first two games were well worth it. I was watching the players not the officials. And the Bills were good.

Doubt returned Sunday after two questionable calls. The fact the second allowed us to pull victory out of the jaws of defeat only partially masked that.

If the league is responsible for what I saw the first two weeks, it is the first positive thing it has done in years.

I followed a similar trajectory. I was subscribed to all kinds of NFL stuff and was in Fantasy Leagues. Besides the Bills continually sucking, my enjoyment of watching games in general got sapped about 5ish years ago. I gave up the NFL altogether. 

The Bills success and the intrigue of JA drew me back to the NFL last season, with some caution. I even went to a couple games. 

I still see lots of issues that sour me towards the games, but I’m back invested in the Bills again, but not the league like I used to be. 

45 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Bills defense sucks.  Not one forced punt in the first half.  Same for the Raiders.  Game is going to be a shootout.  Last one to possess wins.  

*If Allen can actually play.  He hurt what appears to be his left shoulder.  

A slow shootout, since both teams are eating up lots of clock on each drive.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.