Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

From Bill Barnwell of ESPN:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28871296/2020-nfl-free-agency-trade-grades-bill-barnwell-tracks-every-big-signing-move

As I've said previously, the success the Bills are having -- including the improved perception of their franchise around the NFL -- is a big factor in giving me hope for TP's ownership of the Sabres.

It's all about getting the right guys in to run the team.

My trainer is a former Bill and he told me stories about FAs and not coming to Buffalo.  He also has told me on how things have changes with McBeane in charge.  He is really happy for the team.  He thinks Buffalo has the most deserving fans.

40 minutes ago, shrader said:

The Bills are potentially the favorite in the AFC east and most of the world comes to a screeching halt.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Yet so far Football season is intact.  Keep your fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

From Bill Barnwell of ESPN:  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28871296/2020-nfl-free-agency-trade-grades-bill-barnwell-tracks-every-big-signing-move

As I've said previously, the success the Bills are having -- including the improved perception of their franchise around the NFL -- is a big factor in giving me hope for TP's ownership of the Sabres.

It's all about getting the right guys in to run the team.

Correct. Maybe there is something flawed in their hiring process and McBeane was just pure luck, but the evidence seems to suggest a good GM is a good GM regardless of what these owners do.

50 minutes ago, shrader said:

The Bills are potentially the favorite in the AFC east and most of the world comes to a screeching halt.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Hard to argue. 

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Correct. Maybe there is something flawed in their hiring process and McBeane was just pure luck, but the evidence seems to suggest a good GM is a good GM regardless of what these owners do.

You talk about a good GM all while using the name McBeane.  I think that right there shows just how different things are in the NFL.  I feel like for most teams the GM and coach are viewed as a team.  There might be a few of those cases in hockey, but I don't often see that same team view of their guys.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

This is certainly possible.  It's also quite possible that their hiring process has been fine and that pure luck of the bad sort has resulted in them striking out with all 3 of their GM choices.

34 minutes ago, shrader said:

You talk about a good GM all while using the name McBeane.  I think that right there shows just how different things are in the NFL.  I feel like for most teams the GM and coach are viewed as a team.  There might be a few of those cases in hockey, but I don't often see that same team view of their guys.

what? you never heard of KBotter?

We kind of have a unique situation here and got lucky so far. McDermott was hired in Jan 2017 and had input in who the GM was going to be when the Bills hired Beane in May 2017.  Beane had been the Ast GM in Carolina when McDermott was D Coordinator.   Interestingly this is both men's first time as the head guy.  This is McDermott's first HC job and Beane's first GM job.  

So far so good.  

55 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We kind of have a unique situation here and got lucky so far. McDermott was hired in Jan 2017 and had input in who the GM was going to be when the Bills hired Beane in May 2017.  Beane had been the Ast GM in Carolina when McDermott was D Coordinator.   Interestingly this is both men's first time as the head guy.  This is McDermott's first HC job and Beane's first GM job.  

So far so good.  

Almost positive this has been refuted 

The talk of the Bills being AFC East favourites is more than a little thrilling, but maybe also premature.

Outside of their divisional opponents, their home games are against the Chiefs, Seahawks, Chargers, Rams, and Steelers. 

I know that much can and will change, but that right there looks like tough sledding to me.

They also get the Titans and 49ers on the road. (And the Cardinals, who maybe will be (really?) good?)

I love the optimism, but I am braced for a slight regression based on quality of opponents.

Do the expanded playoff rules kick in next season?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The talk of the Bills being AFC East favourites is more than a little thrilling, but maybe also premature.

Outside of their divisional opponents, their home games are against the Chiefs, Seahawks, Chargers, Rams, and Steelers. 

I know that much can and will change, but that right there looks like tough sledding to me.

They also get the Titans and 49ers on the road. (And the Cardinals, who maybe will be (really?) good?)

I love the optimism, but I am braced for a slight regression based on quality of opponents.

Why do you think the Chargers and Steelers will be any good?  They lost their franchise QBs (I guess REALLY Big Ben isn't officially done but ?) and don't look to have made many improvements.  

IMG_20200325_090230.jpg

Edited by inkman
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, WildCard said:

I think what was refuted was that McDermott interviewed Beane, or decided on the hiring. 

I have a hard time imagining that McDermott didn't suggest or offer any insights into why Beane might be a good hire however. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The thing is though, everyone else in the division also has a tougher schedule as well. They all face chiefs/chargers/broncos/raiders and Rams/Seahawks/49ers/Cardinals. The Patriots also face Ravens/Texans, so I think that yes, we should be favorites in the AFC east.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Of all those opponents you listed, other than the Steelers and Titans, each team in the AFC east has to play them too.  So that all evens out.  You know who the Jets don't get to play twice this year?  The Jets.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

I think what was refuted was that McDermott interviewed Beane, or decided on the hiring. 

I have a hard time imagining that McDermott didn't suggest or offer any insights into why Beane might be a good hire however. 

Suggesting a hire is way different than Pegula consulting McDermott on any GM he should hire which is how that situation has been portrayed

Edited by WildCard

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Suggesting a hire is way different than Pegula consulting McDermott on any GM he should hire which is how that's situation has been portrayed

We don't know that didn't happen.  TP must have had conversations with McDermott regarding who he has had good working relationships.  That may not have been the deciding factor on who to hire, but it had to add to the equation.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We don't know that didn't happen.  TP must have had conversations with McDermott regarding who he has had good working relationships.  That may not have been the deciding factor on who to hire, but it had to add to the equation.

Which isn't the same as McDermott selecting Beane which is the narrative

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Suggesting a hire is way different than Pegula consulting McDermott on any GM he should hire which is how that situation has been portrayed

Not that I've got a dog in this fight, but Charlie, you seem to be moving the goalposts on this.

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So far so good.  

17 hours ago, WildCard said:

Pretty hard to come up with a scenario where the newly hired coach that had worked with the soon to be newly selected GM DIDN'T have input on the choice.  That doesn't mean that he made the choice.

And him not having been present in Beane's interviews doesn't really contradict those that say he did have input in the process.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Not that I've got a dog in this fight, but Charlie, you seem to be moving the goalposts on this.

Pretty hard to come up with a scenario where the newly hired coach that had worked with the soon to be newly selected GM DIDN'T have input on the choice.  That doesn't mean that he made the choice.

And him not having been present in Beane's interviews doesn't really contradict those that say he did have input in the process.

Agreed.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.