Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

My birthday gift from my wife.  Can't play it for crap, but I look damn good.  This is a stock photo from the manufacturer and yes, the real guitar does have all the frets.  But the guitar is SWEET.

image.thumb.png.0f9bd0f0e0f7384e38e4f3cad84ead6d.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/buffalo-bills/

Key moves

1) Acquired WR Stefon Diggs for primarily a 1st rd picks.

2) Signed OLB Mario Addison - to replace Shaw Lawson?  3 year deal $30.45.

3) Signed CB Josh Norman - 1yr 6 Mill - CB depth and nickel back

4) Signed OLB AJ Klein - 3 yrs 18 mill - Alexander’s replacement?

5) Re-signed CB Levi Wallace, OL Quinton Spain, WR Robert Foster (kind of surprised about this signing), TE Jason Croom, and FS Jordan Poyer.

6) Defensive Depth signings - DT Vernon Butler, DE Quinton Jefferson and ILB Tyler Matakevich

Many guys have Carolina history - Butler, Klein, and Norman.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/buffalo-bills/

Key moves

1) Acquired WR Stefon Diggs for primarily a 1st rd picks.

2) Signed OLB Mario Addison - to replace Shaw Lawson?  3 year deal $30.45.

3) Signed CB Josh Norman - 1yr 6 Mill - CB depth and nickel back

4) Signed OLB AJ Klein - 3 yrs 18 mill - Alexander’s replacement?

5) Re-signed CB Levi Wallace, OL Quinton Spain, WR Robert Foster (kind of surprised about this signing), TE Jason Croom, and FS Jordan Poyer.

6) Defensive Depth signings - DT Vernon Butler, DE Quinton Jefferson and ILB Tyler Matakevich

Many guys have Carolina history - Butler, Klein, and Norman.

LOTS of interesting stuff this offseason.  I'm not thrilled with what they gave up for Diggs, especially (but not entirely) considering what Hopkins fetched, but this team is trying.

I can only hope for the day when the Sabres get a competent GM.

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

LOTS of interesting stuff this offseason.  I'm not thrilled with what they gave up for Diggs, especially (but not entirely) considering what Hopkins fetched, but this team is trying.

I’m surprised no OL help so far.  

The Diggs deal makes a lot of sense to me.  We are a young team in win now mode, especially with Brady out in NE.  We essentially gave up a 1st for Diggs, a pro bowl caliber receiver, instead of picking a WR at 22 and hoping he becomes a pro bowler.  We could afford to throw in the 5th and 6th rd picks because we got extra 5th and 6th rd picks last fall for excess depth guys Beane moved last training camp. The important things in the deal is that we didn’t give up a roster player to get him (unlike the Hopkins deal) and his cost is a favorable at about 11.5 per season for the next 3 years.  We may regret the trade if the receiver we would have drafted becomes a star and Diggs flames out but I think Diggs will be fine here if he develops chemistry with Allen.  I am worried that he isn’t the “big” receiver I think we need, but at least with Beasley, Diggs and John Brown we have really good starting WR group.

So what do we need still? RB2, a big WR, more OL depth and a good TE. I wonder who Beane is looking at for the 2nd rd pick?  An Edge rusher? Another WR or RB?  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What Beane paid for Diggs is a fair price. The Hopkins trade is ROR level bad, possibly worse. I don't think it's fair to use that one as any sort of standard.  

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Diggs is essentially for a first and I'm OK with that.  The Bills have some free agents that may bolt next year and I think Beane is counting on a compensatory draft pick or two to make up of what he added to sweeten the pot for the Vikings.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Eleven said:

Why? We gave up a 1st for Diggs. We had extra 5th and 6th rounders so whatever, and the 4th rounder is next years pick so that essential makes it another 5th rounder. We can't control how dumb Houston is. They clearly overvalue RB. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? We gave up a 1st for Diggs. We had extra 5th and 6th rounders so whatever, and the 4th rounder is next years pick so that essential makes it another 5th rounder. We can't control how dumb Houston is. They clearly overvalue RB. 

It seems more that Bill O'Brien is a power hungry idiot

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? We gave up a 1st for Diggs. We had extra 5th and 6th rounders so whatever, and the 4th rounder is next years pick so that essential makes it another 5th rounder. 

There are no guarantees on how this shakes out (take, for example, the very real and open questions about Josh Allen as the QB1), but I will say this: Beane has proven himself to be a sharp ass motherfunkster. He's been really smart about how and when he builds.

And even for all of that, if he and his team were wrong about Allen, then there'll likely be no saving him. That's generally how it is in the NFL, of course. 

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

There are no guarantees on how this shakes out (take, for example, the very real and open questions about Josh Allen as the QB1), but I will say this: Beane has proven himself to be a sharp ass motherfunkster. He's been really smart about how and when he builds.

And even for all of that, if he and his team were wrong about Allen, then there'll likely be no saving him. That's generally how it is in the NFL, of course. 

I actually don't know about that last part. This edition of the Bills has been to the playoffs twice since they've come on (no Beane for the first one). Thats incredible based on the last 20 years or so. I think part of getting Diggs is sort of a "no more excuses, Josh" move. They've done everything they can for him, and have clearly built a competent roster around him. If another year goes by and he's obviously the weak link, maybe they're in the market for a QB, but I think T and K will give them more time.

3 minutes ago, sabills said:

I actually don't know about that last part. This edition of the Bills has been to the playoffs twice since they've come on (no Beane for the first one). Thats incredible based on the last 20 years or so. I think part of getting Diggs is sort of a "no more excuses, Josh" move. They've done everything they can for him, and have clearly built a competent roster around him. If another year goes by and he's obviously the weak link, maybe they're in the market for a QB, but I think T and K will give them more time.

Just a note, Beane was here for the first playoffs and that entire season. Only he was added as the GM post the major portions of Free Agency and the draft during the prior offseason. Through that season however he traded Watkins, Darby, Dareus and Ragland; bringing in many of his own players. 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabills said:

I hear what you're saying. And with the expanded playoff field, I reckon GMs and coaches will have an easier time hanging onto their positions.

I just think that if Allen detonates as a bust, the chances of Beane ultimately surviving that are slim. "Ultimately" is the key there -- Beane could get time beyond cutting ties with Allen (if it came to that (pray not!!)); I don't think it would be much, though. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I hear what you're saying. And with the expanded playoff field, I reckon GMs and coaches will have an easier time hanging onto their positions.

I just think that if Allen detonates as a bust, the chances of Beane ultimately surviving that are slim. "Ultimately" is the key there -- Beane could get time beyond cutting ties with Allen (if it came to that (pray not!!)); I don't think it would be much, though. 

The whole point of ‘the process’ is that guys are replaceable. Including Allen. The team is greater than the sum of its parts. Neither McDermott nor Beane are going anywhere barring them disowning God. 

7 hours ago, Lanny said:

Just a note, Beane was here for the first playoffs and that entire season. Only he was added as the GM post the major portions of Free Agency and the draft during the prior offseason. Through that season however he traded Watkins, Darby, Dareus and Ragland; bringing in many of his own players. 

ah, you're right, had the timeline wrong there.

6 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I was with you last year at this time, but given how the season played out, I think McBeane gets another kick at the QB can if Allen doesn't take the next step unless the team completely implodes this season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I was with you last year at this time, but given how the season played out, I think McBeane gets another kick at the QB can if Allen doesn't take the next step unless the team completely implodes this season. 

Interesting. Y’all may be right. Probably are! Perhaps he’s earned the right to take another stab at franchise QB, if necessary.

On 3/18/2020 at 1:26 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m surprised no OL help so far.  

The Diggs deal makes a lot of sense to me.  We are a young team in win now mode, especially with Brady out in NE.  We essentially gave up a 1st for Diggs, a pro bowl caliber receiver, instead of picking a WR at 22 and hoping he becomes a pro bowler.  We could afford to throw in the 5th and 6th rd picks because we got extra 5th and 6th rd picks last fall for excess depth guys Beane moved last training camp. The important things in the deal is that we didn’t give up a roster player to get him (unlike the Hopkins deal) and his cost is a favorable at about 11.5 per season for the next 3 years.  We may regret the trade if the receiver we would have drafted becomes a star and Diggs flames out but I think Diggs will be fine here if he develops chemistry with Allen.  I am worried that he isn’t the “big” receiver I think we need, but at least with Beasley, Diggs and John Brown we have really good starting WR group.

So what do we need still? RB2, a big WR, more OL depth and a good TE. I wonder who Beane is looking at for the 2nd rd pick?  An Edge rusher? Another WR or RB?  

The OL held up pretty well last year.  I think they feel lineman 1-7 are on the roster.  Duke Williams fits the big WR category, not sure why the org thinks of him.  They sat him 75% of the season only to use him in the playoffs. ? I do think they like the TEs they have. Knox, Kroft, Sweeney, Croom, Smith (is he still on the roster).  RB2 and a young edge are probably draft targets.

25 minutes ago, inkman said:

The OL held up pretty well last year.  I think they feel lineman 1-7 are on the roster.  Duke Williams fits the big WR category, not sure why the org thinks of him.  They sat him 75% of the season only to use him in the playoffs. ? I do think they like the TEs they have. Knox, Kroft, Sweeney, Croom, Smith (is he still on the roster).  RB2 and a young edge are probably draft targets.

I'm not a fan of Knox.  Seemed to drop to many balls and Kroft was hurt most of the year (or it felt that way).  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.