Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

Holy Jesus, Bill O'Brien.

The guy has an absolute stud and monster at QB. He's risked ending Watson's career early with dubious play calling and porous protection schemes/personnel. And now he's traded away Watson's #1 weapon, and taken the short end of the stick in so doing.

12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I'd have liked to keep the 4th, but whatever. The 5th and 6th didn't have a great chance to make this roster, and we weren't getting a better player in the 1st.

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I can never tell in the NFL, is that a lot?

Compared to the Hopkins deal, yes. But Bill O'Brien as a baseline probably isn't fair, and #1 WRs rarely get moved in their prime. Prices being equal I'd have preferred Hopkins, but I assume we didn't have a piece of Johnson's value (in O'Brien's eyes) to do it. 

Mostly I'm happy to see the team finally prioritize offense. And it also has the happy consequence of removing excuses for Allen. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

The more I read the more I like it. Diggs is a legit top 6-8 WR in the league, 26 and dirt cheap. We weren't getting a better one in the draft, we had extra picks and used them. Plan is to win while Allen is on the rookie deal, and we seriously have a top 3 WR class in the league. Our top RB is good, and we have a descent line. Just need an Edge and a CB. You have to love the talent Beane had assembled

Also, Amari Cooper just signed for 5 years $100M. Diggs has 4 left at $45M

• Thanks (+1) 1

Matthew Coller on Diggs:

Diggs is one of the best receivers in the NFL, hands down. He was second in the league in yards per reception and has flipped roles multiple times over the past few years and succeeded in every type of situation, whether it be out of the slot or outside, deep receiver or short. When throwing his way over the last two years, Kirk Cousins had a quarterback rating of 107.9 in 2018 and 111.8 in 2019. He’s one of the elite route runners in the NFL and always ranks toward the top of the NFL in contested catch rate.

Absolute best case scenario with any draft pick is that they become anything like Diggs. And if that doesn’t work out, things will be much harder on Cousins in the near future.

Take the 2015 draft class for example. Five receivers were taken in the first round that year and none of them caught more passes than Diggs since then. Only one — Amari Cooper — has become a star.

There aren’t many players on the free agent market that could even remotely begin to replace Diggs

this looks like a great move by BB.

Worth noting:  BB picked up a 5th-rounder and a 6th-rounder last year in camp by trading 2 guys that he was going to cut anyway.  Those picks helped him close this deal and still have picks in those rounds in this year’s draft.

Hey JB:  are you paying attention??

• Like (+1) 2

I really like the trade for Diggs for all of the reasons noted above. Accumulate assets, and then strike big. Smart asset management. Nothing in guaranteed, but it’s as smart a move as one could hope for.

Now: To get Allen to hit on deep balls at a respectable clip.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.