Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

I'm pretty sure the widely accepted view of Bills fans is that Sean McDermott brought in Brandon Beane to be his GM, after the Pegulas hired him as coach. But Beane came onto Eric Wood's podcast yesterday and said that he and Sean had never discussed that, and that Sean McDermott wasn't even in his interview for the job, with Terry and Kim. 

BTW, I like them both, but I definitely like Beane a little more than Sean. 

23 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm pretty sure the widely accepted view of Bills fans is that Sean McDermott brought in Brandon Beane to be his GM, after the Pegulas hired him as coach. But Beane came onto Eric Wood's podcast yesterday and said that he and Sean had never discussed that, and that Sean McDermott wasn't even in his interview for the job, with Terry and Kim. 

BTW, I like them both, but I definitely like Beane a little more than Sean. 

Wait. I have a fairly specific recollection of McDermott telling the story of him pitching Beane on coming to Buffalo. There was a book recommendation involved - some loosely Christian self-actualization guide by one of those hip mega pastors who wear jeans and dark long sleeve tops all the time. 

Edited to add: It was from a Peter King interview. 

Thanks to Peter King’s interview with Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane, we know how the Bills head coach recruited Beane to Buffalo:

Here’s the awesome exchange:

McDermott: I just was reminded of something. I knew after our first interview here it was going to take some effort to convince him to leave Carolina—he’s lived there his whole life, and his wife’s from there. I took a picture of a book that I am currently reading. It’s called “Chase the Lion,” and the subtitle is, “If Your Dream Doesn’t Scare You, It’s Too Small.” And I took a picture of it and I sent it to Brandon, and that was kind of my recruiting approach to convince him that this is a chance for him and his career and what he and his family have sacrificed over the years.

Beane: When I got it, I was lying in bed, watching TV with my wife. I was like, This is so Sean.

McDermott: It was a recruiting ploy.

Beane: When I saw that picture, I laughed, but there is a lot of truth behind that. It did help. There were a lot of reasons to go back for that second interview,Sean and I am so glad I did. I’m excited to get going with you [talking to McDermott].

During his introductory press conference in Buffalo, Beane made it clear he’d needed to be blown away to leave the Panthers organization of which he spent 19 years.

Terry and Kim Pegula clearly blew him away with all the resources they’d provide to him. And McDermott’s recruiting ploy may have factored in too.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Wait. I have a fairly specific recollection of McDermott telling the story of him pitching Beane on coming to Buffalo. There was a book recommendation involved - some loosely Christian self-actualization guide by one of those hip mega pastors who wear jeans and dark long sleeve tops all the time. 

Edited to add: It was from a Peter King interview. 

Thanks to Peter King’s interview with Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane, we know how the Bills head coach recruited Beane to Buffalo:

Here’s the awesome exchange:

McDermott: I just was reminded of something. I knew after our first interview here it was going to take some effort to convince him to leave Carolina—he’s lived there his whole life, and his wife’s from there. I took a picture of a book that I am currently reading. It’s called “Chase the Lion,” and the subtitle is, “If Your Dream Doesn’t Scare You, It’s Too Small.” And I took a picture of it and I sent it to Brandon, and that was kind of my recruiting approach to convince him that this is a chance for him and his career and what he and his family have sacrificed over the years.

Beane: When I got it, I was lying in bed, watching TV with my wife. I was like, This is so Sean.

McDermott: It was a recruiting ploy.

Beane: When I saw that picture, I laughed, but there is a lot of truth behind that. It did help. There were a lot of reasons to go back for that second interview,Sean and I am so glad I did. I’m excited to get going with you [talking to McDermott].

During his introductory press conference in Buffalo, Beane made it clear he’d needed to be blown away to leave the Panthers organization of which he spent 19 years.

Terry and Kim Pegula clearly blew him away with all the resources they’d provide to him. And McDermott’s recruiting ploy may have factored in too.

I don't think these contradict - since it says after the first interview, while I got from Beane that he was saying that it wasn't McDermott who grabbed him from Carolina and dictated the hiring

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think these contradict - since it says after the first interview, while I got from Beane that he was saying that it wasn't McDermott who grabbed him from Carolina and dictated the hiring

"Our" first interview, McDermott said. I dunno. The  two accounts don't seem to square to me.

36 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

"Our" first interview, McDermott said. I dunno. The  two accounts don't seem to square to me.

Motter: hey, we should get Beansie. (I'm using hockey names since this is the Sabres forum)

Pegsie: sure we can do that

[Pegsie et al. interview Beansie]

Pegsie: hey Motter, he doesn't seem convinced

Motter: I have an idea

Motter (to Beansie): I know moving's tough, but check out this book

Beansie: KK

• Haha (+1) 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2879718-cowboys-rumors-dak-prescott-offered-105m-guaranteed-on-new-contract.amp.html

Prescott offered $105 million guaranteed w/ an avg of $33 million per year.  Rumor is main disagreement is the length of contract.  Prescott wants a 4 year.  Cowboys (Jerry) wants it at 7. 

Prescott went 22 TD and 13 INT in his second season.

Allen went 20 TD and 9 INT this year.

Allen is going to improve.  Especially if quality offseason additions are made.  

It will cost the Bills a lot to keep him.  Of course that is a good thing, because if it does, it means Allen became the QB Buffalo has hoped for.  Just amazing how much QB’s cost now.  

Edited by GoPre

I find it encouraging for both PSE franchises that the Bills can get a FA like Norman, who is certainly on the downside but is still a big name in the NFL.

Once the Sabres get the right GM and coach in place, and the team ceases to be a train wreck, it too will be able to get good FAs to come.  There will still be quite a few who aren't interested, but plenty of them will be.  It won't happen unless and until they look like a solid franchise with stability at the top and that will be in the playoffs every year.  If they can get there, though, they don't need to be and won't be permanently viewed as NHL Siberia.

18 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Norman was awful playing man coverage in Washington from what I read, but made his name in McDermott's zone scheme. Hopeful that he can be a good piece in the secondary rotation for us

That's what is encouraging to me. He's proven that he's a fit in this scheme. It's a low-risk move, anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills have re-signed Spain.  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2020-bills-re-sign-quinton-spain-to-three-year-deal-securing-long-term-future-in-buffalo/

Also re-signed Wallace and Foster to 1 year deals.

I have zero problems with the Norman deal.  He comes back to a scheme he knows well and thrived in.  At worst he is gone within a year.  At best he becomes an excellent addition to our secondary.  

Beane clearly knows what he is doing.  He has earned our trust.

New CBA is passed, 17 game seasons coming in 2021 with expanded playoffs happening as early as 2020

And the Jags trade Calias Campbell to the Ravens for a 5th round pick 

Tannehill resigning for 5 years in Nashville 

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.