OT: I Don’t Like Mondays

GASabresIUFAN

13 hours ago, Ogre said:

My phone has been acting weird all day, turning off, turning on all alone. It went to black screen when I checked the time during class tonight. On the way home it was obviously connected to my truck because it dialed 911, all by itself. I got it all cleared up with the operator and he ended our call. Thirty minutes later I was finally home and had just finished dinner when the blue and red lights came flying down my driveway!! That mother ***** phone called 911 again!! A state trooper and a sheriff. *****. I met them at the door and had them come right in. Nothing to hide here! Holy sh!t what a night!

I feel a little better about yesterday.  Sorry for your trouble.  Technology is great when it works.  Sounds to me like you need to reset your phone to factory settings.  Sorry.

Still I’m having to rebuild my computer.  Not happy.  Just bought a new SSD to replace my fried one.  Now I have to rebuild.  

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I feel a little better about yesterday.  Sorry for your trouble.  Technology is great when it works.  Sounds to me like you need to reset your phone to factory settings.  Sorry.

Still I’m having to rebuild my computer.  Not happy.  Just bought a new SSD to replace my fried one.  Now I have to rebuild.  

Get Acronis True Image.  Especially when just swapping out a dead hard drive, it is very easy to get all your programs and data restored back to your last restore point; and if you use the non-stop backup option to backup your files, that will be within minutes of the hard drive failing.

Have had very good luck with it, including recovering from a motherboard failure so had to essentially swap out everything but the harddrive.

Won't help you this time, but in the future, you'll be in good shape.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Fortunately for me, most of my data is on RAID or alternative drives.  @Taro T thank you for the suggestion.  This incident is making me rethink how I store and backup my data.  

Well, if you've got RAID drives set up, you should be pretty much set unless somehow they both were to fail.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, if you've got RAID drives set up, you should be pretty much set unless somehow they both were to fail.

That is why I set it up the way, but now I’m wondering if all my photos also need to be backed up from the raid to an external SSD that I only attach periodically for backup purposes only.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That is why I set it up the way, but now I’m wondering if all my photos also need to be backed up from the raid to an external SSD that I only attach periodically for backup purposes only.

Any "data" that you consider valuable should be backed up on at least 1 other device (harddrive, cloud, etc.) that is stored separate from your primary computer.  Even backing that stuff up as infrequently as quarterly would be advisable.

On 2/4/2020 at 2:20 PM, Taro T said:

Possibly, but it's doubtful.  It depends on just how dead it is.

Did a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD and computer is up and running.  Strangely, I put the old SSD into a external case and lo and behold I can access that data on it without an issue.  Strange.  I won't function as a boot drive but will work as a data drive.  Just weird.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.