OT: I Don’t Like Mondays

GASabresIUFAN

I need to vent.

The spring on my garage broke over the weekend.  I scheduled the repair with the company that installed the garage doors and they called me to tell me they can’t get to me today do to a backlog of work caused by a huge crash on I-85 (causing them to cancel their Saturday appointments) and referred me to a competitor costing $50 more.  I’m not happy, but unfortunately I have no choice because I stayed home from work to wait for the repair guy.  

I thought at least I can work from home and get some things done without the phone ringing off the hook.  Nope.  At 11am a transformer blew and knocked the power out in my entire neighborhood.  Estimated restoration? 3pm.

So now the guy is here installing my new spring.  Sadly with the power out, I won’t be able to test the garage to see if it works.

With the power out, I can’t get food from the fridge, watch TV, or work.  I can’t even go get lunch because of repair guy is here. So I’m stuck, playing on my phone. 

At least it’s not snowing.

Happy Monday!

image.jpeg

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I need to vent.

The spring on my garage broke over the weekend.  I scheduled the repair with the company that installed the garage doors and they called me to tell me they can’t get to me today do to a backlog of work caused by a huge crash on I-85 (causing them to cancel their Saturday appointments) and referred me to a competitor costing $50 more.  I’m not happy, but unfortunately I have no choice because I stayed home from work to wait for the repair guy.  

I thought at least I can work from home and get some things done without the phone ringing off the hook.  Nope.  At 11am a transformer blew and knocked the power out in my entire neighborhood.  Estimated restoration? 3pm.

So now the guy is here installing my new spring.  Sadly with the power out, I won’t be able to test the garage to see if it works.

With the power out, I can’t get food from the fridge, watch TV, or work.  I can’t even go get lunch because of repair guy is here. So I’m stuck, playing on my phone. 

At least it’s not snowing.

Happy Monday!

image.jpeg

Let us know when you have an update.  I hope you and your family are well.

37 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Update.  Just spoke to GA Power. They have no idea what is wrong.  Power still out.  

Can’t wait to throw hundreds of $ food away.  

It takes a few days for food that has been refrigerated to spoil.  (I found that out in the 2006 October Surprise storm.)

If you have gas heat, try cooking most of it with something very spicy that kills a lot of microbes and such.  (Alternatively, cook outside on a grill or in a pit.)  It is one of the reasons poor people in much of the world make so much spicy food: it gives it a longer shelf life.  My Dad's family were farmers and my Mom's were fishermen; they needed these tricks in bad seasons so that the entire village could eat.

I hope this helps.  Thanks for the update.

Edited by E4 ... Ke2
Tag

Monday's sucked all the way back to the Mamas and the Papas in 1965.  

Monday, Monday, can't trust that day
Monday, Monday, it just turns out that way
Oh Monday, Monday, won't go away
Monday, Monday, it's here to stay
Oh Monday, Monday
Oh Monday, Monday

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

If you have a garage opener, you should be able to pull the cord above to unlock the opener so you can open the door manually to test it.

This.  You don’t need the electric opener to test the spring. 

Is this what we have come to?  No electricity for a day could have been an opportunity for a different day and memorable day.  

What would I do?  In winter I would use the free time to exercise, take a walk, read a book, go to a coffee shop, play my guitar, take wife to a movie or to dinner or both.   

Tomorrow is not just Tuesday, it another day.  

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

This.  You don’t need the electric opener to test the spring. 

Is this what we have come to?  No electricity for a day could have been an opportunity for a different day and memorable day.  

What would I do?  In winter I would use the free time to exercise, take a walk, read a book, go to a coffee shop, play my guitar, take wife to a movie or to dinner or both.   

Tomorrow is not just Tuesday, it another day.  

It's not even just another day.  It's another Tuesday.

I don't think I've ever been without power for a whole day in my adult life.  Even during the October Surprise I had a steady stream of friends and family coming over to get a hot shower, charge their flip phones, and do laundry.

My phone has been acting weird all day, turning off, turning on all alone. It went to black screen when I checked the time during class tonight. On the way home it was obviously connected to my truck because it dialed 911, all by itself. I got it all cleared up with the operator and he ended our call. Thirty minutes later I was finally home and had just finished dinner when the blue and red lights came flying down my driveway!! That mother ***** phone called 911 again!! A state trooper and a sheriff. *****. I met them at the door and had them come right in. Nothing to hide here! Holy sh!t what a night!

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

It's not even just another day.  It's another Tuesday.

I don't think I've ever been without power for a whole day in my adult life.  Even during the October Surprise I had a steady stream of friends and family coming over to get a hot shower, charge their flip phones, and do laundry.

But you’ve spent an entire day without electricity in some capacity right? That seems hard to believe you haven’t gone 24 hours without electricity as an adult. 

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

But you’ve spent an entire day without electricity in some capacity right? That seems hard to believe you haven’t gone 24 hours without electricity as an adult. 

I have not.  That's literally what my post said!

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I have not.  That's literally what my post said!

I just found it hard to believe and thought maybe you lived in an area with an exceptionally stable power grid. You should free yourself for a day in the mountains or woods sometime, it’s quite liberating. 

40 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I just found it hard to believe and thought maybe you lived in an area with an exceptionally stable power grid. You should free yourself for a day in the mountains or woods sometime, it’s quite liberating. 

I am quite liberating.

But eleven just isn't my type.

?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, #freejame said:

That, I have done.  Just not as a grownup.  I don't think it's my "thing."

Ahh, Monday. Woke up at 3am. Drove four and a half hours to Vermont. Skiied til the lifts stopped spinning, went in the bar, had a burger, listened to the band and drove four hours and ten minutes home(driving south is faster than driving north, right?) Mondays are tough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ogre said:

My phone has been acting weird all day, turning off, turning on all alone. It went to black screen when I checked the time during class tonight. On the way home it was obviously connected to my truck because it dialed 911, all by itself. I got it all cleared up with the operator and he ended our call. Thirty minutes later I was finally home and had just finished dinner when the blue and red lights came flying down my driveway!! That mother ***** phone called 911 again!! A state trooper and a sheriff. *****. I met them at the door and had them come right in. Nothing to hide here! Holy sh!t what a night!

Amateur.  You need to take the phone away before tying them up and throwing them in the trunk.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.