Cool article about the "Slap Shot" film

\GoBillsInDallas/

Greatest hockey movie of all time. I met the referee who gets tripped by a Hanson in the scene you posted. Chuck Steiner. Met him in a bar down in Johnstown when my buddy and I did our own personal “Slap Shot tour”. Drank beers with Chuck at the Palm Isle. Moe mentions the bar in the movie: “Do you guys know the Palm Isle?” Arena looked just like it did in the movie, and this was nearly 25 years later...

As a boy, I caddied at a country club.  I was a worker bee, and certainly not a member of the upper crust elite.

Caddyshack was an over the top peek into a testosterone world with enough “yeah, that sorta happens” to allow a certain demographic to put themselves into every scene.

As a boy, I played house league hockey at Leisure rinks.  I was a grinder, and certainly not a member of the travel team elite.

Slapshot was an over the top peek into a testosterone world with enough “yeah, that sorta happens” to allow a certain demographic to put themselves into every scene.

When you see those movies as a sixteen or nineteen year old hockey player and golfer, they find something that lives inside you, settles, and never leaves.  Protagonists, villains, warriors and fields of battle, riches, prized women and the journey to success; the two movies hammer away at the male intrinsic.

The films are La Morte D’Arthur writ small, appealing and sustained for the same reasons.

“Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know."

“Lard ass Barkley Donaldson. You all saw what happened. Stick down, gloves off, he challenged the Chiefs. Called us names, CALLED US NAMES! But Dave was there.”

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Neo said:

As a boy, I caddied at a country club.  I was a worker bee, and certainly not a member of the upper crust elite.

Caddyshack was an over the top peek into a testosterone world with enough “yeah, that sorta happens” to allow a certain demographic to put themselves into every scene.

As a boy, I played house league hockey at Leisure rinks.  I was a grinder, and certainly not a member of the travel team elite.

Slapshot was an over the top peek into a testosterone world with enough “yeah, that sorta happens” to allow a certain demographic to put themselves into every scene.

When you see those movies as a sixteen or nineteen year old hockey player and golfer, they find something that lives inside you, settle, and never leave.  Protagonists, villains, warriors and fields of battle, riches, prized women and the journey to success; the two movies hammer away at the male intrinsic.

The films are La Morte D’Arthur writ small, appealing and sustained for the same reasons.

“Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know."

“Lard ass Barkley Donaldson. You all saw what happened. Stick down, gloves off, he challenged the Chiefs. Called us names, CALLED US NAMES! But Dave was there.”

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.