GDT: Blue Jackets @ XXX - Saturday, February 1st @ 1PM

Mustache of God

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

That was a terrible goal to give up by the BJs goalie lol 

This is why people talk about the Expected Goals stat. 99/100 times (as we’ve seen the rest of this season) the goalie makes that save. 

Getting no-experience back-ups now is going to help us. It’s important though to not be fooled into thinking, say, Rodrigues once he goes on a tear now can provide the forward depth we need for next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

In fairness to Skinner, it's not his fault he got paid based on what he did with Jack and then...doesn't get to play with Jack. 

Like I said, the way Bahtrill handled the entire situation makes me actively mad. 

Skinner has also been mediocre, though, at this point. Just all around a disappointing situation.

Maybe “scary” is a better word. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

Like I said, the way Bahtrill handled the entire situation makes me actively mad. 

Skinner has also been mediocre, though, at this point. Just all around a disappointing situation.

Maybe “scary” is a better word. 

He hasn't been good, but he has a entire career of consistently only being a 20-goal scorer. And now he's playing with a middle-6 winger turned center, and a 4th line winger. The cratering was expected. 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

In fairness to Skinner, it's not his fault he got paid based on what he did with Jack and then...doesn't get to play with Jack. 

I think that's MODO's point.  Why are we paying this guy top line dollars and not giving him top line minutes?

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

But Casey's almost as good as Jack, right?

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I think that's MODO's point.  Why are we paying this guy top line dollars and not giving him top line minutes?

For the same reason they're calling up Johansson and letting him enjoy the view.  There is no plan.

Edited by Eleven

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

He hasn't been good, but he has a entire career of consistently only being a 20-goal scorer. And now he's playing with a middle-6 winger turned center, and a 4th line winger. The cratering was expected. 

Right, it’s much more on the GM.

Skinner was averaging almost 30 though per year wasn’t he? He’s also not making up for it with assists or anything else. 

Perhaps his penalty drawing rate 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is why people talk about the Expected Goals stat. 99/100 times (as we’ve seen the rest of this season) the goalie makes that save. 

Getting no-experience back-ups now is going to help us. It’s important though to not be fooled into thinking, say, Rodrigues once he goes on a tear now can provide the forward depth we need for next season. 

I'll give erod credit for one thing though, he actually managed to shoot from a high scoring area, which the Sabres are consistently bad at. 

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Ah yes. Misread that then. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Right, it’s much more on the GM.

Skinner was averaging almost 30 though per year wasn’t he?

More than he's on pace for this year for sure, but he had several clunkers when not playing with talent. 

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I'll give erod credit for one thing though, he actually managed to shoot from a high scoring area, which the Sabres are consistently bad at. 

Point shots. Give me all of the point shots!!! ???

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

More than he's on pace for this year for sure, but he had several clunkers when not playing with talent. 

My favorite Sabre shot selection is the point shot into the shin pads that is so hard it ricochets back up the ice, over the blue line, and onto the stick of an opposing player who has cheated up ice and now has a breakaway.

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

And you don’t give 9 million dollar deals to 28 year olds unless you think they’ll produce RIGHT NOW, right? Which adds to the scariness, because Botterill’s talent evaluation told him JoHUNsson could provide an adequate C for him. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Is that really a low percentage spot on the ice to shoot from? Looked like the heart of the slot to me.

Skinner out with Jack and Sam. Let the goals flow!

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is that really a low percentage spot on the ice to shoot from? Looked like the heart of the slot to me.

Skinner out with Jack and Sam. Let the goals flow!

Right, that may have been a bad example considering the location. 

Point still stands, that isn’t a goal Erod specifically is going to score very often, with that shot. 

28 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I’d rather f paid Nyquist 5.5 for four years than the contract we gave Skinner 

Comparing organizational decisions over the past six years to Buffalo’s will almost always look favorably on the opposition.  That is not the debate.  The comment originated on whether or not the Columbus GM is Great.  It was never is he better than JB.  I think that is obvious. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

Right, that may have been a bad example considering the location. 

Point still stands, that isn’t a goal Erod specifically is going to score very often, with that shot. 

True --- if that's Eichel, it's an expected goal. ERod's shot there barely squeaked through and certainly wasn't labeled for a corner to force an excellent save.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.