Must Listen Radio: Caller Duane Snaps Live on GR-55

Kruppstahl

On 2/7/2020 at 10:50 AM, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the person or fans that are sitting there saying "I wish that was me who said that". I'm just talking about those who would be sitting there trying to think up a fake rant to gain attention to themselves.

Don't those people hang out listening to the Jim Rome Show, or is that no longer "a thing?"

On 2/7/2020 at 1:13 PM, Kruppstahl said:

We don't need to re-litigate the decision to switch colors back in the '90s, but perhaps you have already forgotten why we did that. It was an attempt to burn the past of a more or less terrible franchise and create a fresh beginning.  One in which we all had hope that things would be better than one playoff series and done for the rest of our lives.

I loved the uniform change as our black/white/gold scheme is ugly and the all black was cool and intimidating.  Black is universal and the best color in fashion; that's not a trend.  

The goat heads sucked.  No getting around that; but that could have been fixed.

You also have to remember that there is an entire generation of fans who sort of "came of age" in their fandom with the team wearing those black/white/red uniforms. (I'm not one of them but I acknowledge they are out there).

The decision to blow off those uniforms blows off a piece of Sabres history--good or bad--and it gives the finger to that fan group in particular.

You don't have to agree, but the decision to not wear the correct uniforms for that period was a marketing disaster and a horrible look for a middling franchise.

Nothing new there.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:25 PM, Weave said:

Wat?

That so called terrible franchise had one of the best all time records in the NHL.  The goat heads were a cash grab by a new owner who happened to be a white collar criminal that would eventually drive the Sabres to being operated by the league.  Those unis should be vilified for that reason alone.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:52 PM, PASabreFan said:

Rigas wasn't the owner then, but he was an influential figure who had infused the franchise with cash. It's a little murky right now, but I don't think he was technically the owner even when they went to the final. That didn't happen until 2000, I think. There's always been speculation that the black and red color scheme was meant to match Adelphia's colors.

Agreed that it was quite a stretch to call the Sabres a terrible franchise.  3rd highest overall winning %age in the entire league at that time; only 2 non-playoff seasons since '74, one of which they had a 0.500 record.  Ownership group that had saved the Seals from going under, international acclaim as a result of that 12-6 win over the Soviet Wings.  True superstars like Perreault, LaFointaine, Hawerchuk, & Hasek through the years.  A nearly decade long sellout streak.  

Rigas was the primary minority owner in the team by the time the MMArena was getting built.  Pretty sure that he wasn't officially the owner until '00 though he'd already assumed control of the team ~'98.  And he never wanted to be an NHL owner, he just couldn't afford to have the Sabres fail as that would've torpedoed his fledgling Empire Sports Network.  That was why he started loaning the Knoxes money & eventually took a minority ownership which grew to majority ownership after the Knox brothers passed away.

Jennifer Smith led the charge towards the Goatheads.  The suspicion was the color change was due to Adelphia's colors being red & black, though ttbomk that wasn't ever confirmed.  Black was extremely trendy mid-'90's, so it could have been (and probably was) as simple as Moss and his girlfriend trying to capitalize on the trend and complete the transition of the Sabres from small market hicks to NYC cosmopolitan big boys.

Interestingly, not only did Dougie fail as the team president, he was league commissioner when the IHL folded.  Turns out, his big city ideas don't work so well outside of THE city.  Who knew?

Smith went on to host a cheesy NHL interview show.  No idea what she's up to now.

Edited by Taro T

I'm by far the most unnecessarily vulgar person I know and these guys had me asking WTF is up with all the F bombs. At a certain point they lose their intent, emphasizing importance to ones words. They just drop it every third word for no good reason. It makes me feel like I should do one of these stupid things. @LGR4GM let's put one together.  ?

Edited by inkman

39 minutes ago, inkman said:

I'm by far the most unnecessarily vulgar person I know and these guys had me asking WTF is up with all the F bombs. At a certain point they lose their intent, emphasizing importance to ones words. They just drop it every third word for no good reason. It makes me feel like I should do one of these stupid things. @LGR4GM let's put one together.  ?

It’s their first podcast, so to a degree I give em a break in hopes they tighten it up .... but ...

Yea, I think they are trying too hard to be Spittin Chicklets with an effort to be more vulgar. And it’s totally unnecessary. They squirrel too much. And the interview was painful to listen too. The co-host who did most of the talking was terrible in actually doing an interview. Stepped all over the guest all interview long. 

Overall ... D+. hopefully it improves.

17 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

It’s their first podcast, so to a degree I give em a break in hopes they tighten it up .... but ...

Yea, I think they are trying too hard to be Spittin Chicklets with an effort to be more vulgar. And it’s totally unnecessary. They squirrel too much. And the interview was painful to listen too. The co-host who did most of the talking was terrible in actually doing an interview. Stepped all over the guest all interview long. 

Overall ... D+. hopefully it improves.

I'm definitely serious. My endeavour with Rakish let me know I could do one of these easily. Give me a stats guy someone who can think on their feet and I'll crush anyone doing that kinda *****. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.