Is there a Rasmus Dahlin Blockbuster trade to be had?

inkman

10 hours ago, Curt said:

So what was the extent of the roster changes during the “reset” of that initial Botterill offseason?  I feel like it was pretty minimal to be considered a reset.  No major players were changed.

During that off-season, the major player changes were minimal, but the change in direction was started bringing in guys like Scandella and Antipin and jettisoning Foligno, Deslauriers, and Carrier and keeping guys like Fasching and Baptiste that would've made the squad under Bylsma down on the farm.

As mentioned upthread, this idea hasn't been fleshed out to any extensive detail, and perhaps there was only 1 true "reset" but the problem is, THAT didn't happen until after Botterill had been in town for a full year.  So, while we are viewing this as year 3 with little to show for it, from Botfs view it's only year 2.

Thanks for the discussion.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

During that off-season, the major player changes were minimal, but the change in direction was started bringing in guys like Scandella and Antipin and jettisoning Foligno, Deslauriers, and Carrier and keeping guys like Fasching and Baptiste that would've made the squad under Bylsma down on the farm.

As mentioned upthread, this idea hasn't been fleshed out to any extensive detail, and perhaps there was only 1 true "reset" but the problem is, THAT didn't happen until after Botterill had been in town for a full year.  So, while we are viewing this as year 3 with little to show for it, from Botfs view it's only year 2.

Then he threw that plan out when he moved o'reilly and promoted mittelstadt who needed seasoning.  

I think the biggest issue i have with the team is the complete lack of emphasis on goalies.  Buffalo's successful seasons... over basically their entire existence.  All had good goalies.  Can we at least TRY to build out from the net?  I like having a top goalie in the NHL.  It's a nice safety blanket.  There are a considerable number of teams who have 2 goalies that are better than either of ours.  

10 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Then he threw that plan out when he moved o'reilly and promoted mittelstadt who needed seasoning.  

I think the biggest issue i have with the team is the complete lack of emphasis on goalies.  Buffalo's successful seasons... over basically their entire existence.  All had good goalies.  Can we at least TRY to build out from the net?  I like having a top goalie in the NHL.  It's a nice safety blanket.  There are a considerable number of teams who have 2 goalies that are better than either of ours.  

The O'Reilly move was what was being considered the 2nd reset that started this tangent of the discussion in the 1st place.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Agree.  It’s definitely been slow.

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, inkman said:

What a terrible take!!

We are all human.

At least you’re not Don Cherry and spout off 12 things every Saturday for 30 years and no one ever looked at how his predictions played out. He used to drive me nuts when he played a 7 year old clip of his and says, “see, I told you that is how it works”.

He was entertaining but had a dinosaur attitude. People here almost treated him as a saint. His recognition of the military and law enforcement people was nice though.

On 1/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, Weave said:

I’m in. Sign me up to trade a young star or star to be for a handful of really good players that push our bottom 6 off the roster.

Lets jump start this ***** show.

Right idea, but it was in a trade Dahlin thread.  It was still the right idea, and we got rid of the team Eyore.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/31/2020 at 10:48 AM, Drag0nDan said:

I can't blame Adams for mistakes of previous regimes.  His first offseason he acquired Levi.  The free agent market was not great - the expansion draft and covid created a really weird market for goalies.  There were some good ones available, and we pushed hard to keep Ullmark and it didn't work out.  The degree to which we are not a free agent destination can't be overstated.  This year i think a trade target is important as well as going heavy into free agency in 2022.  

JB was here from 2017-2019 drafts and took Portillo and UPL.  Remains to be seen on either.  Murray drafted Johannsson and traded for Lehner.  

Before that Regier had taken one in 3 straight years - Petersen, Ullmark, Lieuwen.  All after the 4th round though.

Edited by Drag0nDan
  • Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

He got here the offseason prior to that.  He's the one that signed Hall.

Ah good point!  We only had 5 picks in 2020?  Apparently traded a 4th to move up for JJP - who looks like he could be good so... i'm pretty good with that.  3rd was traded for skinner.  Other 4th they traded for Frolik - yikes JB.  In any case - they could have just drafted Levi - but we still got someone in 2020.  

In any case - we need a goalie today not tomorrow or the day after.  We probably should keep giving goalies looks though.  

I tend to discount KA's first offseason with the team:  He had just been elevated to the position.  I think he had plans that he wanted to implement but rather than pushing them on the ownership and existing coach at the time, he listened to them and focused on a short term retooling to try to salvage the tankfruit.  When it became obvious that wasn't working he was able to get buy-in from  ownership to let him implement his plan to build the team as well as fire Krueger.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.