Jonas Johansson Called Up/Ullmark out 3-4 Weeks

Brawndo

Interesting to note that Hasek didn't become "HASEK" until he was 28 years old.  While Hutton is Hutton, it doesn't mean that Ullmark, Johanssen or UPL can't be the star of the future.  Goalies do take more time to learn the game.  I'd like to see what Johansson does under the bright lights.  He could light it up and be the future or be a good trade asset.  Play him, what do we really have to lose this year?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

and for those anti tankers - if you ranked the core of the team right now it would probably be Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart as the top 3....all picked in the top 2 of their respective drafts....

Lets increase the odds of landing the 2 elite talents in this years draft as high as possible.

And what's been the results from having those top 3? Looking to add someone to make it a top 4? I guess it worked so well for Edmonton........

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

Interesting to note that Hasek didn't become "HASEK" until he was 28 years old.  While Hutton is Hutton, it doesn't mean that Ullmark, Johanssen or UPL can't be the star of the future.  Goalies do take more time to learn the game.  I'd like to see what Johansson does under the bright lights.  He could light it up and be the future or be a good trade asset.  Play him, what do we really have to lose this year?

To be fair (and I'm a huge Hasek fan), but he is more of the outlier/fluke then a possibility. I hate making this comparison as its very insulting, but he is the Tom Brady of the NHL, he came in the league as a nobody and left as a GOAT. Maybe I'll mark gets better and can be a starter, and maybe Johanson surprises and shows he can be a starter too. UPL has already shown at pretty much every level he has played at that he will be a starter, and possibly a very good one. I don't expect him to be Hasek, but I think it may be reasonable for him to be atleast at the Miller level for the Sabres.....

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

To be fair (and I'm a huge Hasek fan), but he is more of the outlier/fluke then a possibility. I hate making this comparison as its very insulting, but he is the Tom Brady of the NHL, he came in the league as a nobody and left as a GOAT. Maybe I'll mark gets better and can be a starter, and maybe Johanson surprises and shows he can be a starter too. UPL has already shown at pretty much every level he has played at that he will be a starter, and possibly a very good one. I don't expect him to be Hasek, but I think it may be reasonable for him to be atleast at the Miller level for the Sabres.....

I can't argue with your post.  My theme is, "You never know, even at up to age 27 for goalies."

9 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

We're also talking about something that happened 25 years ago (my god, has it been that long?).  The development path of every single position across the board has changed so much in that time.  I haven't dug into it too much lately, but I'd imagine this idea that goalies are late bloomers has evolved since then. 

And as you said, Hasek was a complete aberration, a freak of nature.  I know the suggestion was not that any of these guys could still be the next Dom, but some names just exist on a different plane and are best left out of anything that could be even remotely perceived as a comparison.

11 hours ago, Tondas said:

9 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Um, Hasek was far and away the best goalie in the 3rd best league in the world for over 1/2 a decade before the Iron Curtain fell and he got a chance to play in NA.

Hasek was ALWAYS Hasek.  He always had that completely unconventional style that ALWAYS got the job done and also always scared the bejesus out of his NA coaches because it always seemed when he was a "nobody" that the saves had to have been due to luck, not skill.

Who knows, if Keenan wasn't a bonehead enamored with starting (though often not finishing)  Ol' Bats in His Belfour, Chicago could've possibly beaten Pittsburgh.  They definitely would've given them a tougher series.

Hasek was very effective before Fuhr was brought in, but Muckler was too stupid to trust the results and gave up a ton to land Fuhr (including the inferior goalie that he kept ahead of Hasek on the depth chart because he played poorly but conventionally whereas Dom was unconventional but incredible - his literally being incredible held him back, coaches didn't believe the results they were watching).  And, had Fuhr's knee injury that put Hasek between the pipes when Brad May got his claim to fame been a bit more severe to actually have knocked him out of the next round, it could very well have been Buffalo beating LA that year.

The only reason Hasek got his chance to start regularly and win the job was because Fuhr was injured yet again.  It wasn't because he came out of nowhere.  It was because a NA coach was FINALLY put in a position where he had no other option and was forced to accept that what he was seeing was actually what was happening.

--------

Yes, goalies take longer to develop, but it is the rare one like Roloson who completely changes his game in mid-20's or Thomas (who won a National Championship at Vermont and also was unconventional in style) who bloom late into excellent goalies.  Ullmark may improve a bit more, but likely what we see is what we get.  (Essentially / effectively Biron.  Which isn't a bad thing.  It's a good thing, but sadly not a great thing.)

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

And what's been the results from having those top 3? Looking to add someone to make it a top 4? I guess it worked so well for Edmonton........

THE PROBLEM is not DAHLIN, EICHEL OR REINHART.  the problem is building around those 3.

You honestly believe adding another player like them is going to hurt their chances to improve? 

• 4 weeks later...

FYI: Hutton is 6-2-0 in his 8 February starts.  In those 6 wins he has allowed only 12 ga with a .936 save %

Those two losses were clunkers of biblical proportion but if he plays at a 6-2-0 pace for the rest of the season the Sabres will make the playoffs.  Big if, but at least it's nice to know it is possible. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.