Botterill and any other forward not named Skinner

LGR4GM

Has Botterill added to the NHL team, any other useful forward that was not already in the system when he arrived? This means Olofsson does not count. The only 1 I can name is skinner. 

Vesey, Frolic, Sheary, Pouliot etc... are all completely useless as far as I am concerned and have not upgraded the roster. So has he brought in any other forward that has a real impact on the game besides Skinner? 

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They drafted 1st, 7th, 31st and 32nd in the past two drafts should have more than one bonafide forward prospect out of that group. 

Bottalogic:

Defenseman with less offensive upside than most goalies > Leading goalscorer in the OHL carrying his team to a playoff spot their roster suggests they have no business even being close to. 

It's a reverse-Murray, who shopped on the floor, picking up all of the defensemen who had fallen out of the bargain bin.  Now personally, I would mark rather start at the blue line and move forward, but you do have to work on both at the same time, even if it is at an 80/20 split.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

They drafted 1st, 7th, 31st and 32nd in the past two drafts should have more than one bonafide forward prospect out of that group. 

Given who that 1st overall is, your post translates to "they should have taken 2+ forwards with these 3 picks".  Is that really making or breaking the organizational forward depth?

17 minutes ago, shrader said:

Given who that 1st overall is, your post translates to "they should have taken 2+ forwards with these 3 picks".  Is that really making or breaking the organizational forward depth?

Are you asking if the Sabres had drafted, Ylonen, McLeod, or Berggren and Hoglander or Roberston OR Pinto they would have more organization depth at forward? Yes. They would be on their way to doing that. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Are you asking if the Sabres had drafted, Ylonen, McLeod, or Berggren and Hoglander or Roberston OR Pinto they would have more organization depth at forward? Yes. They would be on their way to doing that. 

Drafting more forwards mean they have more forwards within their system.  Truly an earth shattering statement.  But does having these one or two extra forwards change a thing for this franchise today?  Certainly not.  Does it change anything next season?  Probably not either.  So in regards to your initial question, the purpose of this thread, it means absolutely nothing.

You want more forward depth, fine.  But that's not going to suddenly fix this franchise.  What matters is where they go moving forward.  Some of these prospects will stick with the team, others can/will be traded, and others will never amount to anything.  I want to see what Botterill or the next GM does with this glut of D prospects.  Guys are going to be moved.  You may not like certain defensemen, but there's going to be multiple teams out there that do.  They'll be able to find that guy who does.  The return for Nylander is a nice reminder to me of just how differently each team values the same player.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I know you're not happy with his last 25 games or so, but if Skinner's 51 goals in 122 games isn't useful, then Lazar isn't useful

You know who wasn't useful to the head coach with a few minutes left last night and the Sabres starting a power play down by a goal? Jeff Skinner.

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You know who wasn't useful to the head coach with a few minutes left last night and the Sabres starting a power play down by a goal? Jeff Skinner.

The usage of Skinner this season after handing him a monster contract is mind boggling.  Clearly there is a massive disconnect between the GM and the HC.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Drafting more forwards mean they have more forwards within their system.  Truly an earth shattering statement.  But does having these one or two extra forwards change a thing for this franchise today?  Certainly not.  Does it change anything next season?  Probably not either.  So in regards to your initial question, the purpose of this thread, it means absolutely nothing.

You want more forward depth, fine.  But that's not going to suddenly fix this franchise.  What matters is where they go moving forward.  Some of these prospects will stick with the team, others can/will be traded, and others will never amount to anything.  I want to see what Botterill or the next GM does with this glut of D prospects.  Guys are going to be moved.  You may not like certain defensemen, but there's going to be multiple teams out there that do.  They'll be able to find that guy who does.  The return for Nylander is a nice reminder to me of just how differently each team values the same player.

That's not the point. That's never been the point. The point is that if we actually drafted good players, quality players, we would have talent. We don't and haven't. Imagine if in 2015 we had not ***** everything up and kept that momentum into 2019. We would have anywhere from 4-8 players in and on the team to acquire the things we don't have and fill holes. This team is 3 years away with good drafting of being anything useful. 

12 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The usage of Skinner this season after handing him a monster contract is mind boggling.  Clearly there is a massive disconnect between the GM and the HC.

The bad passes, bad penalties, histrionics, and consistent examples of Skinner being on the wrong side of the puck must be boggling the coaching staff's mind too.

Clearly there is massive disconnect in fans minds between Skinner's first 5 months in Buffalo (36 goals in 58 games) and the 11 months since (15 goals in 64 games)

He was even less effective in the last two months of last season than he has been this year.

That's on him.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, dudacek said:

The bad passes, bad penalties, histrionics, and consistent examples of Skinner being on the wrong side of the puck must be boggling the coaching staff's mind too.

Clearly there is massive disconnect in fans minds between Skinner's first 5 months in Buffalo (36 goals in 58 games) and the 11 months since (15 goals in 64 games)

He was even less effective in the last two months of last season than he has been this year.

That's on him.

Skinners contract is another reason Botteril should be fired immediately. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That's on him.

Well then it's on Botts for negotiating the contract, and Pegula for signing off on it.  They better find a way to make sure Skinner is north of 30 goals every season of the contract(regardless of his play on the ice), or this contract will go down as another in a series of bad contracts handed out during the Pegula era.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Lazar wasn't out there either? And Skinner was the guy that came out when the goalie pulled. It is well known that Skinner is a bad power play player, and before that power play, after Ottawa scored the third goal and we needed a goal, the winger to replace Zemgus on Jack's line was...Jeff Skinner.

I repeat my initial point. Adding Lazar and then questioning that Skinner is on a list of useful NHL additions is pretty sketchy logic. Lazar has been solid for 20 games, Skinner has triple that time period of ELITE NHL goal scoring for us. Outside of those stretches, Skinner has been bad, and Lazar has been a non-NHLer. 

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's not the point. That's never been the point. The point is that if we actually drafted good players, quality players, we would have talent. We don't and haven't. Imagine if in 2015 we had not ***** everything up and kept that momentum into 2019. We would have anywhere from 4-8 players in and on the team to acquire the things we don't have and fill holes. This team is 3 years away with good drafting of being anything useful. 

Yeah, those are the drafts that would be impacting today's team.  But now you're crossing over into two drafts worth of Murray territory.

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That's on him.

To be fair, I think a lot of last season's stagnation had to do with that obscene ankle tweak he had. I know he kept playing, but he was a different player at that point, and the goal-less streak before it was purely unlucky (he was still generating a large amount of chances and hitting goalposts like crazy) while after, he simply wasn't playing the same level of hockey. 

Of course, he doesn't have that excuse for the last 25 games or so of this season, after another hot start. 

I have changed my mind on this 8 times, but if you want Skinner to play like 9 million dollars, he will have to be next to the guy that helped him earn that contract. He won't score at a level worthy of the money if he doesn't play with Jack. I don't care if we keep him away in favor of Olofsson, but I will try to ignore Skinner's cap hit for the resulting decline in production that will bring him

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, freester said:

He’s a 3rd line winger not a 2nd Center 

I'll meet you in the middle at 2nd line winger.  Solid 40-50 points per year for his career thus far. I like his game - brains, hustle, and skills.

Skinner is the problem and sadly we had to pay full price or would have lost him.  They need to put him with Jack and be done with it.  

1 hour ago, Getpucksdeep said:

I'll meet you in the middle at 2nd line winger.  Solid 40-50 points per year for his career thus far. I like his game - brains, hustle, and skills.

Skinner is the problem and sadly we had to pay full price or would have lost him.  They need to put him with Jack and be done with it.  

No evidence we would have lost Skinner. Botteril grossly overpaid but no other team was able to offer 8 years. I highly doubt any team that he would want to go to would have offered more than 49 million. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.