Jbot needs to go

Wyldnwoody44

11 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

It’s almost impossible to have an opinion without knowing what’s going on in his head. Did he plan on sitting on his hands all season and not plan on pushing for the playoffs? Did he try to make trades but they weren’t there? Were good trades there, but he was scared? 

No way to know. We can only speculate. Beefing up on way too many defensemen to just not make any moves was pretty suspect, though. 

He's been actively trying to make trades all season, and has been open as such.  The rumored targets in the league with NTCs have confirmed they have rejected trades (though not confirmed those trades were with Buffalo).  It takes two to tango, and we don't really have any decent assets to trade that don't ruin the future.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Is it time to play like we don't care for lafreniére? Step into a minefield for Byfield?

Those are pretty good. 

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

He's been actively trying to make trades all season, and has been open as such.  The rumored targets in the league with NTCs have confirmed they have rejected trades (though not confirmed those trades were with Buffalo).  It takes two to tango, and we don't really have any decent assets to trade that don't ruin the future.

My boss would still fire my ass if I told him I was trying to do stuff but no one is cooperating.  This should be no different.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

It takes two to tango, and we don't really have any decent assets to trade that don't ruin the future.

This line of thinking baffles me. What future? Seriously.

I mean, as it stands right now, I don't see a future for this team that includes success. I don't see Cozens coming right in to the NHL, they made that mistake with Mittelstadt. Who else 8s there? Borgen? Great, we have another RHD on a team that is currently over flowing with RHD's.

I see no immediate help coming from the system. Maybe my vision is skewed, but it is how I am viewing the situation.

On the one hand, I like that JBot has stocked the D-pipeline in drafts. They take longer to mature and having a constant stream of chips to play or move over the coming years is a good thing.

On the other hand, they aren't all, but are they predominantly regarded puck-moving defensemen who play small and move the puck because they don't embrace contact and physical imposition. Yes, it's a generalization.

On the one hand, the team is hovering around the cap because of some big contracts over the years (Moulson, Bogo, Skinner, Okposo) that exceeded the player's output (at least offensively). And it takes time wait for them to expire --- so you average about 1 "freed-up money" slot to move around each year to slowly overhaul a roster. OR, it takes additional resources and a willing recipient to move those contracts. So... patience.

On the other hand, while some bad contracts come off the books this offseason --- so does most of the team. 9 of 13 NHL contracts for forwards expire after this season. Nine! In general, it costs more to replace the same position via free agency, particularly if it's a 4-year+ contract for someone you value enough to build around. Our FA 2RW will cost more than Frolik or Sobotka (though not necessarily combined). RFAs Olofsson and Reino will cost more. Even Larsson (if he returns) would get a tiny bump. A FA 2C would cost significantly more than MoJo. And yes, some of those positions will cost less (13F less than Rodriques; 3W less than Vesey, etc.). But I think we'll be at or above the $52M we're spending on forwards this year unless....

Basically, we need Risto + Things to not just bring back a 2C and another starting 3F/4F, we need both of those new players to be cost-controlled and viable parts of the roster for a couple seasons until more cash re-opens (Okposo + cap increases from expansion). That's a tall order for any GM. (And I don't want to give up any 1st round picks in the next 2 seasons because this is not a playoff team yet.)

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Ok the plan is for next season? Just how? Free agency? You don't construct  team in one off season.

At this point it has to be. Plus deadline-day trades to begin the reformation. But based on the number of expiring contracts we have to do exactly that and we don't get an expansion draft.

In Watto voice: Only money!

The ONLY reason he is still here is because Pegula knows if they fire him, the new GM will fir Krueger. Once again, the organization approaches everything backwards and the fan-base will pay dearly. GEt the new GM now and wait until the coach he wants is available......might be out there right now

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Does it really matter about JB?  This team is so use to losing nothing but dumb luck will change it.

Any "competent" player on this team must secretly wish that he gets traded.

Does Samson really want to stay in Buffalo because he is friends with Jack?  I wouldn't.

Sabres have to be at the top of every league players "don't you even think about trading me there" list.

There are no "silver bullets" to fix this mess and it's to the point that I don't really care what they do.

I remember how excited I was when Buffalo got the Sabres in expansion but these last 9 seasons have more than brutal.

It's just sad to be a Sabres fan.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

You dont' need to construct a team,

1) you need a 2C (obviously not easy)

2) Improve the PK, not sure if that means new special teams coach, new Penalty Killers or

I up to a month ago was pretty much where you are. Now I'm a little more skeptical of our overall team aside from maybe five or six guys.

On 1/29/2020 at 7:14 AM, LGR4GM said:

I am so close to being here. Like, one more dumb move away close. 

For me, it was the absence of one. 

On 1/29/2020 at 9:48 AM, Crusader1969 said:

I think the plan has always been next year, so I want them to give him the off-season to see what happens.

If he doesn't or can't bring in a legit 2C over the summer though... The 2021 1st round (lottery protected) needs to be in play (and any prospect not named Cozens).

Sabres are now 8th last on Tankathon.  Lets put Hutton in net and see how high we can get.  Send Pilut back to Roch and put Bogo back in to play out his contract.

Spoiler alert: "I'm always actively looking to add a forward. But we like our forward group. We like what Marcus brings in a top 6 center role". 

• Like (+1) 1

The Pegulas are now once again trying to control the media. And in the process drawing a lot of national attention on themselves and not in a good way. This shitshow is just getting started. Terry its about time you did some soul searching. All this teams problems start with you. You are the owner. Imo you’ve floundered since your first press conference. For the record i’m on board with JBottom getting the heave ho. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/28/2020 at 7:09 PM, Thorny said:

There's an argument to be made he should not be fired. There's also a strong argument he should be. Maybe keeping a guy, who's surrounded by so much doubt, as the guy steering the ship is a dicey proposition and not the way to go. 

There's an argument that everyone in the entire organization should go. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/28/2020 at 10:25 PM, mjd1001 said:

One reason why I don't think he gets fired...the plan might have all along been to wait for next year and the ownership was in on it.  The team went into this year trying to be the 'best it could be' but with the thinking this wasn't the roster long term.  If the team is bad..so be it for this year.....or maybe they can 'luck into' something good.  They would take 'lucking into' a good season if it presented itself (kinda like the Bills making the playoffs a couple years ago), but this season is more Like McDermott's first or second with the Bills...NEXT years plan is to be like McDermotts year #3.

Many people have put this theory forward.  I think it is possible this is what's going on.  We'll know it was NOT what was going on when Botterill gets fired, if he does.

If he stays despite the ugliness that is going to unfold, this theory may gain some credibility. 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:44 PM, PerreaultForever said:

We had all these things before JBot got here. 

The O'Reilly thing is what it is: He wanted out, it was the return that was the issue, and always remember how it looked at the time. OReilly's contract was looking a little albatross-ish and lost his passion for the game. Cant pin ALL of this on JBot but Botterill is not doing himself any favors.

15 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

The O'Reilly thing is what it is: He wanted out, it was the return that was the issue, and always remember how it looked at the time. OReilly's contract was looking a little albatross-ish and lost his passion for the game. Cant pin ALL of this on JBot but Botterill is not doing himself any favors.

Considering the fact that McDermott was allowed to effectively trade away the Super Bowl MVP, the problem might be Botterill's bosses more than Botterill...

16 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Considering the fact that McDermott was allowed to effectively trade away the Super Bowl MVP, the problem might be Botterill's bosses more than Botterill...

Seriously?  How can he have known that a “system” qb from Texas Tech was going to be an MVP and Super Bowl MVP?  How many QBs drafted early flame out?  Most.  

Truth is McBeane has done a very solid job rebuilding the Bills.

38 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

It was not looking albatross-ish.  Was anyone actually saying that at the time?  O’Reilly was great and his contract was fine as far as term and AAV goes.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Seriously?  How can he have known that a “system” qb from Texas Tech was going to be an MVP and Super Bowl MVP?  How many QBs drafted early flame out?  Most.  

Truth is McBeane has done a very solid job rebuilding the Bills.

Um, Veach and Reid were pretty darn sure of it.  McBeane have done a solid job, that's true.  But having both organizations trade away consecutive NHL Finals' MVP and the Super Bowl MVP - that is quite a look for Pegulaville.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.