Jbot needs to go

Wyldnwoody44

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

PA uses analytics; car chases dog

Why you keep Krueger: Sabres were 4th in cycle chances in February

Why you dump Botterill: Sabres were 29th in cycle goals in February

The system works, the coach is good. The players suck.

To be determined on the system. Without Eichel and Olofsson's raw shooting talent, you'd notice a lot more that we are the worst team at getting dangerous offensive chances in the entire nhl

the slot is still a barren wasteland for the Sabres 

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

To be determined on the system. Without Eichel and Olofsson's raw shooting talent, you'd notice a lot more that we are the worst team at getting dangerous offensive chances in the entire nhl

the slot is still a barren wasteland for the Sabres 

Paging @inkman to the fire Botterill thread. Inkman please pick up the red courtesy phone. 

Soooooo...

The Sabres came out of the break with a real chance to beat some crappy teams at home and get right into the playoff race.  Instead, they crapped the bed, fell out of the race and made quite a few of us come very close to deciding to fire JB.

Now, they've won 4 out of 5 and, if they go 13-8 down the stretch, which doesn't seem impossible, they'll finish at DeLuca .500 with 90 pts or more and their best season since 2011-12.

If that happens JB ain't goin' nowhere.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Soooooo...

The Sabres came out of the break with a real chance to beat some crappy teams at home and get right into the playoff race.  Instead, they crapped the bed, fell out of the race and made quite a few of us come very close to deciding to fire JB.

Now, they've won 4 out of 5 and, if they go 13-8 down the stretch, which doesn't seem impossible, they'll finish at DeLuca .500 with 90 pts or more and their best season since 2011-12.

Man, how fun will it be if that happens?...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Soooooo...

Which is why he needs to find help now and that help better have some term on them for next season and beyond.  No rentals, but a serious piece must be added.  

I'd add that if we just get 21 pts in the remaining 21 games we'll finish with 85 pts and Jbot won't be going anywhere.  I do like your scenario better.

FYI folks, the Sabres are 11-8-1 in the second half of this season despite losing Ullmark, Olofsson and Skinner for considerable periods.  Interestingly of the 8 loses 5 were blowouts in which we gave up 5 or more goals.  If they play at this pace the remainder of the year they'll finish close to Freeman's 90 pts.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

12 hours ago, SwampD said:

Man, how fun will it be if that happens?...

You see the Athletic piece today? It is basically what happened in 2011: a 16/4/4 run to finish the season.

Some mocked it as the heroic run for 8th and the push to blow it all up began.

What fools we were.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

You see the Athletic piece today? It is basically what happened in 2011: a 16/4/4 run to finish the season.

What fools we were.

More truthful words have never been spoken.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

What fools we were.

Not true. The push happened in 2013 when we blew are chances at getting a center. After that it was all about not going on a heroic run to finish 8th worst and lose draft position. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'll actually be a tolerable poster this offseason!?

I don't see why you would be. The Sabres miss the playoffs in nfreeman's scenario? Why would a little push at the end change your mind about anything?

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Jack Drury out of carolina would be someone I would consider targeting. 

Maybe add in Blake Murray as a sweetener. 

The who now? JACK DRURY?!

14 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Soooooo...

I assume it's still not enough to make the playoffs? What if it's 84 points? Still the best season since 11-12.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

I don't see why you would be. The Sabres miss the playoffs in nfreeman's scenario? Why would a little push at the end change your mind about anything?

The who now? JACK DRURY?!

There's a tangible difference between a team that pushes to 90 and misses compared to whatever we saw last year. I'll be in a much better mood about the parts of the team that I like that are already in place.

Of course, I'll continue to be worried about the fact that all Sabres forwards currently performing their roles adequately are Murray skaters, in 9/23/68/22/28/21, and that we have a bunch of forward positions to fill with Jason this summer

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/23/2020 at 11:04 AM, LGR4GM said:

Not true. The push happened in 2013 when we blew are chances at getting a center. After that it was all about not going on a heroic run to finish 8th worst and lose draft position. 

Right. 2011-12 was all about big spending, and we started the year out hot. 

I was trying to remember, was '12 the last year we finished strong, or was it '13? When we "blew" our chances at that C in the draft, that you're referring to, was that due to a strong finish in '13?

Either way, it's been either 7 or 8 years since we finished strong. I'd like to see it. 

On 2/23/2020 at 11:13 AM, PASabreFan said:

I assume it's still not enough to make the playoffs? What if it's 84 points? Still the best season since 11-12.

84 points would be questionable. It would in fact be the best season since 11-12, but it would represent Botterill taking 3 full seasons to reach a point total only 3 higher than what Murray was fired for. That looks like extremely poor performance from the GM, but, if we are ok with an exceptionally slow climb back to relevancy, are ok paying for it with prime Jack Eichel years for currency, and you think the incremental progress is going to continue, there's an argument for keeping Botterill after an 84 point season.

I'm sticking to my playoff bubble or bust line of thinking, and time is running out to achieve that. I might settle for a strong finish, but that would probably need to look closer to 90 points. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.