Jbot needs to go

Wyldnwoody44

Meh, not interested in his emotional state.

He sees the problems with this team the same as the rest of us. I'm interested in what he intends to do about it and when.

Everyday he waits is confirmation to myself that he has already written this season off. And if that is the case, he must go. I want a team top to bottom that fights for that playoff birth until the very end, I'm sick of "waiting for next season". That is the mindset of the weak imo.

• Like (+1) 1

As for me I am completely done with Jason Botterill:

Gave us an albatross of a contract with Jeff Skinner to be saddled with for the next 7 seasons after this one.

Has litterly messed up Casey Mittlestadt's development.

Refuses to add true toughness and grit to a roster screaming for it.

Yes, we are waiting for UPL to arrive, but the second they signed Carter Hutton I said 'bad move' and that was proven, one year wonder in St Louis. When will this franchise realize that goaltending is a massive issue?

Can we TRULY trust this guy with the cap space this off-season to truly fix the issues? Based on Sobotka, Tage Thompson, Frolik, Vesey, and other head scratching moves?

Oh yes Pierre on NBC said 'it will turn around quick' of course he did, Pierre is a clear Penguins homer and where did JBot come from again?

Between Bylsma and now Botterill, can we stop looking to the Pittsburgh Penguins organization for the coach and front office answers?

Saynora Jason!

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Everyday he waits is confirmation to myself that he has already written this season off. And if that is the case, he must go. I want a team top to bottom that fights for that playoff birth until the very end, I'm sick of "waiting for next season". That is the mindset of the weak imo.

This line of thinking needs to stop, it doesn't make sense. It's like believing your order from Amazon will be at your front door mere moments after you place it (cue the idiots with the "well, with drones and disty centers in every major metro, it could happen...! Err, dheerrr"). 

Let's be realistic: trades and deals take time and don't just happen, usually. This is fine and absolutely not an excuse for Botterill, just a reality fans need to accept. You don't just roll up to the NHL Trade Drive-Thru and get yourself a trade. Well, you can, but you wind up with Frolik.

I don't think Botterill wrote this season off, I think Botterill made three mistakes this season:

1. He thought this team would compete for a playoff spot. The moves he has made and not made since the summer strongly indicate this, which are tied to point number two.
  2. He is seriously challenged at talent evaluation. 
  3. He thought his D acquisitions would turn into instant trade capital.

Now he is stuck and the rest of the GMs in the league know it. The lack of activity presently is not a reflection of some long-term vision, it's the result of being incompetent at his job. 

Edited by ...
dork
  • Like (+1) 4

Barring some magical trade that fixes this team before the deadline, he needs to be fired. I don't trust him to go through another offseason or another draft. He's gonna end up drafting top 5 and taking Drysdale because the only thing he thinks the team needs is defense and bad forwards. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, ... said:

I can't believe this hasn't been posted here yet:

Someone posited that he may have known the camera was on him and this was an act. 

It’s in the GDT from last night. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Barring some magical trade that fixes this team before the deadline, he needs to be fired. I don't trust him to go through another offseason or another draft. He's gonna end up drafting top 5 and taking Drysdale because the only thing he thinks the team needs is defense and bad forwards. 

Even worse they will end up in the 10-13 Range and draft His BPA. 

Which of course will be Jake Sanderson LHD from the USNDTP

Jbot had a pretty bad day.  He saw a guy he dumped for a 4th traded fro a 2nd and conditional 4th.  Not a good look.  He then saw his team blow a game they should have easily won after taking a 2-0 lead.  

He also knows his team is better overall but lacks enough goaltending and a real 2C to be a playoff team.  That’s on him and he knows it.  

He acquired 2 D in the off-season and 2 wingers (although one used as a center) but no actual top 9 centers.  He also acquired Lazar as depth but he is playing over his proper place in the lineup. I under the reason the D were acquired.  He knew Scandella and Bogo would be gone by season’s end at best and didn’t know if Bogo would return at all and if he did what type of player he’d be.  He also wanted to get younger, more mobile and more cap certainty.  He also wasn’t sure if joker was 100% NHL ready. Those acquisitions have worked and gave us excellent depth at D even forcing Miller to be a healthy scratch.  

The forwards not so much.  Vesey has shown more 2 way play then expected but less offense.  MoJo has looked good at times but lost at others, but the sad truth is neither solved our issues because neither is a center or can carry a line or help Skinner; Jbot’s big UFA re-signing.   Vesey, Miller and MoJo cost us 10.65 in cap.  Not the 11 mill burden in dead money TM left us in KO and Bogo but a substantial arguable mis-use of cap space. 

This is not to say Jbot didn’t try to acquire the center we needed in the off-season or that he isn’t try to acquire a center now, but this is something that needs to be done now.

I think Botts is looking more and more like the able lieutenant who got promoted past his station. Smart, organized, hard-working, a good man, well-respected by his bosses and co-workers, who succeeded in the roles he had previously been asked to do. But when given the keys to the car he came up short in the key GM abilities of roster-building and identifying and acquiring talent.

• Like (+1) 2

its amazing the shade thrown at him yesterday when 3 dmen got traded.

If he traded away any on of his Dmen for draft picks, the same people criticizing him for not making trades would have slayed him for just getting draft picks in return.

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jbot had a pretty bad day.  He saw a guy he dumped for a 4th traded fro a 2nd and conditional 4th.  Not a good look.  He then saw his team blow a game they should have easily won after taking a 2-0 lead.  

He also knows his team is better overall but lacks enough goaltending and a real 2C to be a playoff team.  That’s on him and he knows it.  

He acquired 2 D in the off-season and 2 wingers (although one used as a center) but no actual top 9 centers.  He also acquired Lazar as depth but he is playing over his proper place in the lineup. I under the reason the D were acquired.  He knew Scandella and Bogo would be gone by season’s end at best and didn’t know if Bogo would return at all and if he did what type of player he’d be.  He also wanted to get younger, more mobile and more cap certainty.  He also wasn’t sure if joker was 100% NHL ready. Those acquisitions have worked and gave us excellent depth at D even forcing Miller to be a healthy scratch.  

The forwards not so much.  Vesey has shown more 2 way play then expected but less offense.  MoJo has looked good at times but lost at others, but the sad truth is neither solved our issues because neither is a center or can carry a line or help Skinner; Jbot’s big UFA re-signing.   Vesey, Miller and MoJo cost us 10.65 in cap.  Not the 11 mill burden in dead money TM left us in KO and Bogo but a substantial arguable mis-use of cap space. 

This is not to say Jbot didn’t try to acquire the center we needed in the off-season or that he isn’t try to acquire a center now, but this is something that needs to be done now.

After last nights game, its probably too late. Need one in place by opening night 2020/21

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

its amazing the shade thrown at him yesterday when 3 dmen got traded.

If he traded away any on of his Dmen for draft picks, the same people criticizing him for not making trades would have slayed him for just getting draft picks in return.

As for myself I'd have no problem with that. We are within striking distance of a playoff spot. He's had near 3 seasons to get the team in the playoffs, and while I agree hunting pure rentals only isn't the sound way to go, nor should he, there should be deals out there that can contribute to a push now imo.

Tic Toc, Tic Toc Jason.....

13 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

As for myself I'd have no problem with that. We are within striking distance of a playoff spot. He's had near 3 seasons to get the team in the playoffs, and while I agree hunting pure rentals only isn't the sound way to go, nor should he, there should be deals out there that can contribute to a push now imo.

Tic Toc, Tic Toc Jason.....

so they trade, Montour or Risto for 2nd and 4th rounders and you'd be happy? 

8 minutes ago, ... said:

I think the entire Duane episode has changed that. Botterill is no longer safe.

if anyone makes a decision based on Duane, god help us!

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

to be honest, not really. I know he made a phone call that was then deleted. Besides that I tried not to pay too much attention to him.

Then WTH are you making a quip about it? 

The Pegulas got owned in the sports media of two countries - utterly embarrassed - by the unfolding of the entire Duane episode. If they're NOT paying attention to it, if they're NOT making decisions "based on Duane" then they deserve more and more and more Duane and God help the fans.

54 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think Botts is looking more and more like the able lieutenant who got promoted past his station. Smart, organized, hard-working, a good man, well-respected by his bosses and co-workers, who succeeded in the roles he had previously been asked to do. But when given the keys to the car he came up short in the key GM abilities of roster-building and identifying and acquiring talent.

I’m not sure that’s correct. He was handed a team in cap hell with a terrible D group and few good prospects.  Joker for Nylander was a great trade. Miller for Picks was good value.  Skinner for Pu and stuff was an excellent trade.  Others like Scandy and Pommers for Ennis and Foligno is solid.  I also don’t mind the Montour trade, because I think Montour is a good player.  I like the Pilut and Routsalainen signings to help enhance the prospect pool.

He has also turned Rochester into a winning team, maneuvered us out of cap hell this summer while slowing improving the product on the ice.  Our GF are up in real terms and adjusted terms and our GA are down in real and adjusted terms.  We are on pace for 85 points which his better then the vet laden teams of TM’s best season.  We also have some top notch prospects like Cozens, UPL and even Mitts who will be arriving soon.  

The biggest complaint against Jbot is that he traded away ROR and hasn’t adequately replaced him for two seasons.  This is huge and valid complaint.  Imho if he had found a real center we’d be a playoff team right now and the acquisitions of Vesey and Sheary would have borne more fruit. However, my guess is TP and KP will give him one more year to see if he can fix that problem and if he does and the team makes the playoffs in 2020-21the hot seat will go away.

52 minutes ago, WildCard said:

You guys all realize he's not going anywhere right? 

Yep.

EDIT: Rumor has it that he is looking to trade a D for a top 6 forward with term.  That forward better be a C only.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

12 minutes ago, ... said:

Then WTH are you making a quip about it? 

The Pegulas got owned in the sports media of two countries - utterly embarrassed - by the unfolding of the entire Duane episode. If they're NOT paying attention to it, if they're NOT making decisions "based on Duane" then they deserve more and more and more Duane and God help the fans.

Exactly right. And there is ZERO reason to panic and get a #2C for the home stretch. This team is nowhere near playoff ready and if our GM tries to get that Center now, he will overpay by a ton since playoff teams will be in the mix too. The season is over so just wait another month and a half and pray Botts is fired that day

2 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Exactly right. And there is ZERO reason to panic and get a #2C for the home stretch. This team is nowhere near playoff ready and if our GM tries to get that Center now, he will overpay by a ton since playoff teams will be in the mix too. The season is over so just wait another month and a half and pray Botts is fired that day

No reason to panic, but also no reason not to pull the trigger on a trade if the 2C of the future is there. Let's say a playoff team has 1C and 2C lined up for the foreseeable future and 3C is a kid who isn't getting the full playing time because of that --- but you know he's your guy. And you know that that playoff team needs not the young future 3C, but instead a vet defensive center who can take d-zone starts against the opposition's best in the playoffs and go toe-to-toe. Then... you mix-and-match the parts. All options have to be available.

That's Gratton (and stuff) for Briere (and stuff). Or this year, Larsson (and stuff) for Insert 2C (and stuff). It's a hockey trade, it's good for a win-now contender and a win-tomorrow Sabre.

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Crazy that we have one single NHL center under contract for next season, and the only other guy on the roster that is a bonafide NHL center that we could re-sign is a 4C

I agree.  It something that should have been addressed properly this off-season, instead of relying on a converted winger and a kid to try to fill the 2C role.  This is a mistake that could cost him his job as many people here think it should.  I don’t think it will, but he better have a better solution for next fall then Cozens and Mitts as the 2C and 3C.  He needs a proven commodity at the 2C and I’m praying he gets one now, especially with he price of D being sky high.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.