GDT - January 28th, 2020 - Senators @ Sabres, 7 PM ET (WGR/MSG/NHL Network)

Doohickie

RALPHO: All right, nine of 10 at home after the All-Star Game. Ready to get back in that playoff race?

EICHEL: If your people fixed the powerplay. And the void at 2C, and the injuries, the secondary scoring, the penalty kill, the backup goalie, the poor road record, and the fan malaise of 10 years of suffering.

<RALPHO Looks at JBOT.>
<Cut to JBOT in box. Lights flash on JBOT's headset.>

EICHEL: All the coordinates are set. It's now or never.

<CHEWREINO barks in agreement.>

RALPHO: Punch it!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

RALPHO: All right, nine of 10 at home after the All-Star Game. Ready to get back in that playoff race?

EICHEL: If your people fixed the powerplay. And the void at 2C, and the injuries, the secondary scoring, the penalty kill, the backup goalie, the poor road record, and the fan malaise of 10 years of suffering.

<RALPHO Looks at JBOT.>
<Cut to JBOT in box. Lights flash on JBOT's headset.>

EICHEL: All the coordinates are set. It's now or never.

<CHEWREINO barks in agreement.>

RALPHO: Punch it!

international man of mystery nerd GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The Sabres need to get about 65% of the possible points over the remaining games this season to make the playoffs. 

They went 5-5-0 over their last 10, which would not be good enough. 

Starting tonight, they need to go something like 5-2-3 over the next 10. 

Is adding Skinner enough to get them some loser points? I don't know. But they're close enough that Botterill needs to buy and he needs to do it soon, or else this season could be over before the trade deadline even gets here.

I don't expect anything to happen though. The time to make moves was months ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The Sabres need to get about 65% of the possible points over the remaining games this season to make the playoffs. 

They went 5-5-0 over their last 10, which would not be good enough. 

Starting tonight, they need to go something like 5-2-3 over the next 10. 

Is adding Skinner enough to get them some loser points? I don't know. But they're close enough that Botterill needs to buy and he needs to do it soon, or else this season could be over before the trade deadline even gets here.

I don't expect anything to happen though. The time to make moves was months ago. 

65% seems really low. We have 51 points in 49gp right now and the magic number floated around here is 96pts. So we need 45pts in 33gp left, or 45/66pts which is...68%

Promise I'm not being pedantic, I was just doing the math as I typed it out ? 

So yeah, we really need to start winning games. Given that this is by far our easiest stretch of the season, I'd like to see 8-1-1 in our next 10 for me to really believe. Probably not going to happen but hey, one game at a time and all that

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

65% seems really low. We have 51 points in 49gp right now and the magic number floated around here is 96pts. So we need 45pts in 33gp left, or 45/66pts which is...68%

So yeah, we really need to start winning games. Given that this is by far our easiest stretch of the season, I'd like to see 8-1-1 in our next 10 for me to really believe. Probably not going to happen but hey, one game at a time and all that

I was using ~94 points but either way. They're not out of it yet, but they're standing on the precipice.

If Botterill doesn't do anything to help them get to the playoffs then we'll be able to comfortably conclude that he didn't care for the team to make the playoffs this year, which is really too bad for both the players and the fans.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I was using ~94 points but either way. They're not out of it yet, but they're standing on the precipice.

If Botterill doesn't do anything to help them get to the playoffs then we'll be able to comfortably conclude that he didn't care for the team to make the playoffs this year, which is really too bad for both the players and the fans.

I think we can reach that conclusion already. I know I have.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Let's round it up to 69% . Keys to achieving this is to score early and score often and not being afraid to go to the dirty areas.

Edited by Mustache of God
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I think we can reach that conclusion already. I know I have.

I have as well, but I'm open to having my mind changed.

It would take the addition of one top 6 forward to give them a fighting chance at a heroic run to 9th (assuming Olofsson comes back in the next month or so).

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

The real question is do you finish early? 

That's pretty much what I was going for with that joke

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I have as well, but I'm open to having my mind changed.

It would take the addition of one top 6 forward to give them a fighting chance at a heroic run to 9th (assuming Olofsson comes back in the next month or so).

Yeah and I don't think that forward exists in this market for a deadline deal. Botterill's got one more year from Terry, I believe he knows this offseason is make a break for him. It's just a shame that he decided this was just another throwaway season

18 minutes ago, WildCard said:

That's pretty much what I was going for with that joke

Yeah and I don't think that forward exists in this market for a deadline deal. Botterill's got one more year from Terry, I believe he knows this offseason is make a break for him. It's just a shame that he decided this was just another throwaway season

I agree that I'm not sure that forward exists, but I'm looking at the standings and wondering what Anaheim would want for Getzlaf. He's got a year left on a ~$8mil or so contract, so if that team might be rebuilding he ends up being a rental next year anyway. They are well and truly out of the playoffs this year so they might be willing to take some of our pending UFA cap dumps to give them cap space this summer instead of next summer.

This assumes Getzlaf would waive his NMC to come to Buffalo to play with Skinner and Johansson on his wings, but...

edit: I'd probably ask them if they wanted to swap Hutton for Miller while we're at it...

Edited by darksabre

39 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Things can change, but this year looks particularly tough as far as getting into the playoffs goes. There's a team pacing for 98 points that does not hold a playoff spot, which would break the record that keeps getting tied by teams in OUR division. (Boston a few years back, and Florida a couple of years ago)

The worst team in the eastern conference playoffs today is pacing for 100 points. 

This is unusual, even just midseason, so even though there's no guarantee that the bar stays that high there's a good chance that it's on the higher end of the historical spectrum this year. There almost certainly won't be any low 90 point teams in, much less the 80something point teams the west has been sending recently.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.