Practice Lines 1-27/Skinner Confirmed A Go for Tomorrow

Brawndo

Interesting.  Looks like Eichel's line will play the Otters' top line and Krueger isn't concerned about any of their other lines as for 1 of the very few games this year there will be no "checking" line.

Wonder whether it's Rodrigues, McCabe, or Miller joining Bogosian in the press box?  Will go w/ the old reliable and guess Miller.  (2nd guess is E-Rod.)

Guess that the Lazar libe could be considered checking but IMHO that's more of a 2 way line.

14 minutes ago, inkman said:

Don't we want secondary scoring?  Just because Skinner and Johansson were in massive slupms before the injuries, doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do. 

We've been wanting secondary scoring for a decade. Girgensons doesn't belong on a line with Jack. Stick Jeff there to get some confidence back until Olofsson returns. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

... So we would rather put Zemgus Girgensons with Eichel then put the best goal scorer on the team there. Seems legit. 

"We?"  Based on the comments through various threads, no.  But, in the absence of Olofsson, it appears that Krueger prefers Skinner with Johansson to Skinner with Eichel.  And, as there are no other obvious LWs to play next to Jack, Girgensons get the opportunity to try it again.

When Skinner and Johansson were both healthy to start the year, they were clicking.  After Johansson tailed off (which started prior to the Sweden trip), so did Skinner's production.  As they both should be healthy now and have a legit (3rd line) winger on their side rather than a boat anchor, the line should work.  If it does, they'll actually get scoring from 2 different lines.  

In fairness to Krueger, placing Skinner on Jack's wing does nothing to help 2ndary scoring.  (Though if he was ever going to give Skinner full time duty w/ Eichel rather than just a spare shift around TV timeouts, tomorrow night would seem to be the night to try it.)

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

"We?"  Based on the comments through various threads, no.  But, in the absence of Olofsson, it appears that Krueger prefers Skinner with Johansson to Skinner with Eichel.  And, as there are no other obvious LWs to play next to Jack, Girgensons get the opportunity to try it again.

When Skinner and Johansson were both healthy to start the year, they were clicking.  After Johansson tailed off (which started prior to the Sweden trip), so did Skinner's production.  As they both should be healthy now and have a legit (3rd line) winger on their side rather than a boat anchor, the line should work.  If it does, they'll actually get scoring from 2 different lines.  

In fairness to Krueger, placing Skinner on Jack's wing does nothing to help 2ndary scoring.  (Though if he was ever going to give Skinner full time duty w/ Eichel rather than just a spare shift around TV timeouts, tomorrow night would seem to be the night to try it.)

Does it matter? The season is over anyways. I don't view Frolik as anything other than another mediocre winger that Botterill is fond of. Much like vesey and sheary. 

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

... So we would rather put Zemgus Girgensons with Eichel then put the best goal scorer on the team there. Seems legit. 

I'd be interested to see what the powerplay looks like, and also what Krueger does if he's down a goal late.  I would bet they'll move Skinner up.

46 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Does it matter? The season is over anyways. I don't view Frolik as anything other than another mediocre winger that Botterill is fond of. Much like vesey and sheary. 

The season isn't over actually.  They're entering a 3 or so week stretch of very winnable games and they are the healthiest they've been the entire season.

Should they stumble around 0.500 for the next stretch, yes, stick a fork in them.  But if they play the way they should, their facing a very tough stretch after that could have the wailing and gnashing around here back to a fevered pitch.  (Or that tough stretch could have the bandwagon rocking with calls for Krueger being considered for the Adams.)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

The season isn't over actually.  They're entering a 3 or so week stretch of very winnable games and they are the healthiest they've been the entire season.

Should they stumble around 0.500 for the next stretch, yes, stick a fork in them.  But if they play the way they should, their facing a very tough stretch after that could have the wailing and gnashing around here back to a fevered pitch.  (Or that tough stretch could have the bandwagon rocking with calls for Krueger being considered for the Adams.)

I hope they prove us wrong but this is the same story around this point in the season we've seen the past however many years, "this is the point in the season where they need to come out strong to make a push" only to drop like 3 games in a row to beatable teams and really put a cap on the season before the real playoff push happens for many teams. I really hope I'm wrong, because there's nothing i want more than to watch this team play meaningful games late into the season, however, my optimism meter is in the trash.

13 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I hope they prove us wrong but this is the same story around this point in the season we've seen the past however many years, "this is the point in the season where they need to come out strong to make a push" only to drop like 3 games in a row to beatable teams and really put a cap on the season before the real playoff push happens for many teams. I really hope I'm wrong, because there's nothing i want more than to watch this team play meaningful games late into the season, however, my optimism meter is in the trash.

This is Sabres fandom in a nutshell.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

The difference this year versus years past is they have an actual coach this year.  And while they've been expected by many to simply roll over and die, except for the Vancouver game when they inexplicably started Hutton they haven't been losing games they were expected to win.

They could very well come out of this break and circle the drain, but we haven't been given a reason this year to expect that.  

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The difference this year versus years past is they have an actual coach this year.  And while they've been expected by many to simply roll over and die, except for the Vancouver game when they inexplicably started Hutton they haven't been losing games they were expected to win.

They could very well come out of this break and circle the drain, but we haven't been given a reason this year to expect that.  

Except what coach on a team desperate for scoring doesn’t attempt to try different line combos on his top 2 lines to see if he can get two scoring lines instead of one? Why isn’t Skinner, with VO out, given a chance on Jack’s wing?  Why hasn’t Reinhart been moved to try to get Skinner going if RK doesn’t want Skinner with Jack? Why hasn’t MoJo been moved to wing? 

‘Then again why hasn’t Jbot found at least one competent center to play behind Jack?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

39 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Right on, @Taro T.

They are 5 under DeLuca .500 with 33 games left.  If they go 6-4 in the three 10-game segments, and then 2-1 in their last 3 games, they will finish the season 2 games over DeLuca .500.  That would most likely get them in, and it would absolutely make for an exciting 2nd half.

They (and we) don't need to worry about points, or standings, or who's ahead of them, or anything other than getting Ws.  The rest will take care of itself.

It's doable.

35 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Ugh.  True.  But hopefully this time it's different.  They have better coaching and goaltending than they've had in a while, and they have Eichel starting to reach his potential. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.