COVID 19 Discussion

SABRES 0311

I figure with all the attention this sickness is getting it deserves a thread. What’s crazier is the theories, stories and images coming out. Millions of people crammed into small spaces with insane air pollution. What a surprise this happened. 

Edited by SABRES 0311
Misspelled title

Had a customer contact me this AM.  They went to China for their product development instead of doing it here.  They are asking what it would take, time and dollars, to do it here now.  They are concerned about being locked out of China during a critical part of their timeline.

The corona virus could undo some of the damage Trump did with his stupid trade war.

4 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

So military housing at multiple bases in CA, CO and TX will house quarantined people. Military provides housing but HHS oversees medical aspects. 

Why?

This has fear mongering written all over it, to keep us from talking about something else. Anyone’s guess what that something else could be.

There have already been 6000 deaths from the flu in this country alone this season, we’re supposed to be terrified about 300 in a country with 4x the population?

Does anybody remember Zika?

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

Why?

This has fear mongering written all over it, to keep us from talking about something else. Anyone’s guess what that something else could be.

There have already been 6000 deaths from the flu in this country alone this season, we’re supposed to be terrified about 300 in a country with 4x the population?

Does anybody remember Zika?

I don’t know why they are quarantining people in base housing. It is typically a lot of people living in close proximity. Pretty sure that’s how things spread. I’m also anticipating mandatory vaccines once they have it for the military. They did the same thing with the swine flu around 2010. 

• 1 month later...

https://apple.news/Af5XsBR2ISjqBXmeY-M9KjQ

Interesting story that shows why we can’t rely on market based responses to diseases like COVID-19.

We've had some conversations with big pharma companies in recent weeks about our vaccine, and literally one said, 'Well, we're holding back to see if this thing comes back year after year,'" Hotez said.

My country banned all non-essential travel yesterday.  Of course you'd think a company looking to cut expenses would ban that anyway.  I guess we had someone possibly test positive in one of our Washington state offices.

3 hours ago, LTS said:

My country banned all non-essential travel yesterday.  Of course you'd think a company looking to cut expenses would ban that anyway.  I guess we had someone possibly test positive in one of our Washington state offices.

My employer just made all international travel voluntary.  No more “you need to go here to support this”.  No changes for domestic travel.  I’ve had to travel a bit for work over the last few weeks.  Thankfully its been fairly regional and I could drive it.

Im hoping this fades out as warm weather arrives.  I’m not real keen on getting into an airplane to go to a sold out football stadium to watch a concert if this virus is still an issue.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Should we rename the thread Covid 19 or Coranavirus 19 since that is the common name for it?

Also colleges are starting to or moving courses online in anticipation of closing. 

This is also happening in K-12 schools.  A co-worker had his child's school close in Atlanta and they said to prepare for online schooling.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Should we rename the thread Covid 19 or Coranavirus 19 since that is the common name for it?

Also colleges are starting to or moving courses online in anticipation of closing. 

Yes the title should be renamed. I don’t know how or if I have the permissions to do it. I think there is a thread in the main forum which maybe should be merged. 

5 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Yes the title should be renamed. I don’t know how or if I have the permissions to do it. I think there is a thread in the main forum which maybe should be merged. 

Just hit the edit button on your initial post.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/11/2020 at 10:57 AM, LGR4GM said:

Wuhan virus.

If we have Lyme disease, Ebola, Zika, and German measles (all named after places), China can own this one; it is not racist.

12 hours ago, Eleven said:

Wuhan virus.

If we have Lyme disease, Ebola, Zika, and German measles (all named after places), China can own this one; it is not racist.

I don’t think Wuhan Virus is racist. Wuhan is a city not a race. It’s just a more formal term I guess. 

Now if the Black Plague comes back watch out. People will lose their minds on two fronts.

Edited by SABRES 0311

3 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Same thing I do when I shake someone’s hand. I sanitize afterwards. I sure as hell am not doing that elbow bump thing. 

When I am ill, as Trump obviously was at his presser, I spare others the grief of deciding whether they want to risk my illness or not by not extending for a shake. I’m very polite. I gesture about the cold that I am showing symptoms for and greet them accordingly. I live in a very handshake heavy world and folks are being sensible people and adjusting, not for individual well being, but for the greater good, just in case. He’s just trying to stand by his original statements and is spreading whatever the frig he has. 

28 minutes ago, Ogre said:

When I am ill, as Trump obviously was at his presser, I spare others the grief of deciding whether they want to risk my illness or not by not extending for a shake. I’m very polite. I gesture about the cold that I am showing symptoms for and greet them accordingly. I live in a very handshake heavy world and folks are being sensible people and adjusting, not for individual well being, but for the greater good, just in case. He’s just trying to stand by his original statements and is spreading whatever the frig he has. 

I’d be more worried about catching it airborne. I can wash my hands after a shake. 

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I’d be more worried about catching it airborne. I can wash my hands after a shake. 

Those guys shaking his hand looked freaked out as I would be. I would decline but I’ve always been a little skeeved out by germs. I did a big project years ago where 200+ guys all had to scan their hands on a single scanner for access. I used hand sanitizer every time and people busted my balls until an illness infected 150 of them. They all followed my lead after that.

29 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Those guys shaking his hand looked freaked out as I would be. I would decline but I’ve always been a little skeeved out by germs. I did a big project years ago where 200+ guys all had to scan their hands on a single scanner for access. I used hand sanitizer every time and people busted my balls until an illness infected 150 of them. They all followed my lead after that.

I sanitize around three times a day along with washing.