COVID 19 Discussion

SABRES 0311

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know Erie County's positivity rate currently? I also saw somewhere (twitter I think) that some places in other states are around 20% positive rate... that is insane. Almost like pretending this didn't exist and having no strategy for the country has been bad. 

3 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

I don't see what the big deal is. Covid went away once summer hit.

See now THIS is a political jab lol. But does it really matter? Election is over so it's really just political jokes. Don't think it really matters one way or the other. 

Personally I don't understand vaccine hesitancy. We all had multiple shots as kids, we're still alive. If the doctors are giving it to themselves I figure it has to be pretty safe and am getting mine first chance I get. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

See now THIS is a political jab lol. But does it really matter? Election is over so it's really just political jokes. Don't think it really matters one way or the other. 

Personally I don't understand vaccine hesitancy. We all had multiple shots as kids, we're still alive. If the doctors are giving it to themselves I figure it has to be pretty safe and am getting mine first chance I get. 

You say political jab. I say taking what leaders say as factual... even if it is a outright lie when said

Edited by drnkirishone

2 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

You say political jab. I say taking what leaders say as factual... even if it is a outright lie when said

Oh I thought it was funny. But I got in trouble here for talking about that very response when it started. Got muted for saying the big man should listen to Fauci instead of being what he was. That was early days and was considered out of bounds political content, even though it was related to what was (and wasn't) happening. 

I think now, in hindsight, it's pretty hard for most people to say with a straight face that the response from the top was good. Too late now in any event. Damage is done. Mask wearing got politicized, hoax people are running around spreading disinformation, and the anti vaccine crowd are ramping up their campaigns so all you can do is ride it out, get vaccinated, and hope nobody you care about dies before this whole thing ends in another year or so. 

and hop[e it doesn't mutate in a mink farm or something.............

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh I thought it was funny. But I got in trouble here for talking about that very response when it started. Got muted for saying the big man should listen to Fauci instead of being what he was. That was early days and was considered out of bounds political content, even though it was related to what was (and wasn't) happening. 

I think now, in hindsight, it's pretty hard for most people to say with a straight face that the response from the top was good. Too late now in any event. Damage is done. Mask wearing got politicized, hoax people are running around spreading disinformation, and the anti vaccine crowd are ramping up their campaigns so all you can do is ride it out, get vaccinated, and hope nobody you care about dies before this whole thing ends in another year or so. 

and hop[e it doesn't mutate in a mink farm or something.............

It is pretty obvious that the lack of leadership has hurt millions of Americans who believe this disease is something to brush off or ignore.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

Oh no.... I got warned that i violated mein fuhrers political sensibilities and the next time I will get suspended. How will I sleep at night knowing that. It is so much pressure knowing that all I have to do is quote the orange man and I will face disipline

Looks like it got moved to politics so I think you're good to rant if you want to. 

On 12/9/2020 at 3:51 PM, drnkirishone said:

but what happens when they rule the politics club a no politics zone....

Hack the Planet Digital Art Print | Etsy

Indeed.  But as we've tried to demonstrate in here.  Civil discourse is encouraged. But this club won't allow social media standards of ignorant posting that lack substance. Like referring to Trump as Hitler. He's not and not even close. It's irresponsible to claim as such. 

Trump is an absolute piece of T.R.A.S.H. but he's not even close to Hitler.  He might admire Hitler, especially in the social engineering department, but he's not committed the atrocities that Hitler did.

That's the fine line we try and toe around here.

Well congress passed the COVID relief bill.  Apparently helping U.S. citizens entails millions of dollars to foreign countries.  Can’t imagine how that money could be better spent for out of work parents.  Meh, give a few million to Pakistan for gender studies.  That will keep the heat on for that American family this winter.  Pakistan deserves it though.  

• Like (+1) 1

No idea if Business Standard leans left, right or whatever but here’s an article on the COVID bill.  I don’t see how any of us support this no matter political leanings.  All I hear from politicians for almost the last year is how the government needs to do better for American citizens.  

So even though we are trillions in debt and dealing with COVID we somehow are able to fund programs in other countries.  TF is going on?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wap.business-standard.com/article-amp/international/us-congress-clears-25-million-for-democracy-gender-programmes-in-pakistan-120122201575_1.html

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

TF is going on?

4 years ago the curtain was moved and we can now see that the Wizard of Oz was a sham.  It never was about the people and now they don’t even have to fake it anymore.  The swamp didn’t get drained, it got put under studio lighting and we are now forced to watch it.  They know we’ll accept it now.

I should elaborate on my point. Phone and workday is hindering.  We have proved that we are willing to accept and support (based on party affiliation unfortunately) our leaders breaking major norms and rules that have helped give us the impression that our government is acting in good will.  The behavior of Trump, the acceptance of that behavior by the other branches of government, and the support of that behavior from the party base has resulted in a government that is now very much aware that those norms no longer need to be followed.  It is sufficient to be on the right team to get support.  I have never felt the anxiety for our country’s future that I feel now.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Weave said:

4 years ago the curtain was moved and we can now see that the Wizard of Oz was a sham.  It never was about the people and now they don’t even have to fake it anymore.  The swamp didn’t get drained, it got put under studio lighting and we are now forced to watch it.  They know we’ll accept it now.

I should elaborate on my point. Phone and workday is hindering.  We have proved that we are willing to accept and support (based on party affiliation unfortunately) our leaders breaking major norms and rules that have helped give us the impression that our government is acting in good will.  The behavior of Trump, the acceptance of that behavior by the other branches of government, and the support of that behavior from the party base has resulted in a government that is now very much aware that those norms no longer need to be followed.  It is sufficient to be on the right team to get support.  I have never felt the anxiety for our country’s future that I feel now.

This isn't a functioning democracy, it's a functioning plutocracy. Sure maybe one side does want to do something for ppl in general but the majority of the players are completely out of touch with every day reality. 

And honestly, learning that and seeing it over the last 8 years is both a function of my age, technology, and Trump. Wizard of Oz curtain might be the perfect analogy. 

Trump signed the COVID bill.  Apparently the Omnibus bill was attached.  According to the second article that is where all that foreign funding comes from.  Let’s say for a moment everything is on the up and up.  Where is all this money coming from in both bills? We have a huge national debt and if we must go even deeper it should be strictly for U.S. citizens.  $600 will last such a long time for a family.  

Congress wrote it and he signed it.  Thick as thieves, smoke and mirrors.  We the people elected them so we get what we deserve. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/12/27/politics/trump-relief-bill-christmas-eve/index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tampabay.com/news/nation-world/2020/12/25/coronavirus-relief-bill-does-not-include-foreign-aid-arts-funding-politifact/%3foutputType=amp

15 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Trump signed the COVID bill.  Apparently the Omnibus bill was attached.  According to the second article that is where all that foreign funding comes from.  Let’s say for a moment everything is on the up and up.  Where is all this money coming from in both bills? We have a huge national debt and if we must go even deeper it should be strictly for U.S. citizens.  $600 will last such a long time for a family.  

Congress wrote it and he signed it.  Thick as thieves, smoke and mirrors.  We the people elected them so we get what we deserve. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/12/27/politics/trump-relief-bill-christmas-eve/index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tampabay.com/news/nation-world/2020/12/25/coronavirus-relief-bill-does-not-include-foreign-aid-arts-funding-politifact/%3foutputType=amp

I wonder what people will say when the economy crashes.

No way should there be any confidence in the economy with the current pandemic and now we're digging bigger holes to pay later.  Need to start looking for a new place to put my money.

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If the vaccine supply is no longer a bottleneck, why not just vaccinate everyone en masse?   There's people in the first group who don't want the vaccine, at what point and who makes the decision to move on to the next group?    The only reason there's a triage is because of limited vaccine supply, but it sounds like that won't be an issue here maybe relatively soon with the J&J vaccine hitting the market.   

We are not that far away from having enough product to meet demand. The first priority in the tiered system is directed toward the population that is most vulnerable and exposed to the virus. I just heard on the radio today that the military is going to be dispatched to help with the logistics and with the administration of the project. But even when we get to the point where enough product is available there still has to be an orderly system in place to administer the vaccine. You can't have 2000 people show up at a school gymnasium when the capacity to vaccinate is only 500 per day. That is belatedly being addressed now. 

The shame of this situation is that the logistical spade work should have been done way in advance so when the vaccine was available there would have been a more organized and larger platform to administer the vaccine. The prior administration was reluctant to federalize this massive project so they left it up to the states to fend for themselves and ruinously compete against one another. That was never going to work; that was hideously stupid. (Not a political statement but a factual statement.) 

I'm not worried about the professional sports industry. When we get to the point where the vaccine is more readily available (maybe two months) the industry will make the arrangements to get their athletes and those involved in the business taken care of. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

My parents (Mom professional that applies for vaccine, Dad immunocompromised qualifies) signed up to get theirs today. When they went they, and almost everyone else there, found out they had applied through an invalid link (whatever the hell that means) and were turned away.

Unreal. How does that even happen?

Well the Federal Government didn't authorize enough money for States to actual develop and roll out an effective vaccine program. Further they were provided little guidance on how that program should look. This left the States to use their resources to set it up but most States, like NY, were already out of money due to COVID. The final result is a half assed system put in place like some type of MASH unit with what funds and guidance became available. All the while keeping in mind the distribution network for vaccines was basically a ramshackle dumpster fire until roughly 20 days ago. 

To recap, the States weren't given money, a federal plan that would make distribution uniform didn't and still doesn't exist, and the actual distribution was haphazard. You can't do a massive population wide vaccination campaign for free but sadly Congress decided to do nothing for months because like the fall of the Roman Republic, it was better to be seen doing nothing than allow your enemies to succeed doing something. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well the Federal Government didn't authorize enough money for States to actual develop and roll out an effective vaccine program. Further they were provided little guidance on how that program should look. This left the States to use their resources to set it up but most States, like NY, were already out of money due to COVID. The final result is a half assed system put in place like some type of MASH unit with what funds and guidance became available. All the while keeping in mind the distribution network for vaccines was basically a ramshackle dumpster fire until roughly 20 days ago. 

To recap, the States weren't given money, a federal plan that would make distribution uniform didn't and still doesn't exist, and the actual distribution was haphazard. You can't do a massive population wide vaccination campaign for free but sadly Congress decided to do nothing for months because like the fall of the Roman Republic, it was better to be seen doing nothing than allow your enemies to succeed doing something. 

The members of Congress and senate, etc got their vaccine right away, first in line. To them, everything is hunky dory. Besides they have bigger fish to fry right now over public health. 

Edited by miles