COVID 19 Discussion

SABRES 0311

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

How stupid is this?  It's stupid enough to not have it as a statewide requirement; it's a special level of stupid to prevent municipalities and counties from having their own requirements.

When you want to curry favor at the national level with a narcissistic idiot, you do things like this. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I guess commentary about COVID rules is too risque for the main forum COVID thread.  LOLWTF

You spoke out against a friend of dear leader's, it's not acceptable on the main board even if it's clearly relevant. 

Edited by LGR4GM

22 hours ago, Weave said:

So there is no issue with mentioning that the Governor of Georgia eliminated the ability of Georgia counties and cities to require mask wearing?

This is actually fake news. If people read beyond the headline (or the tweet), which 99% of readers don’t do, you’ll see it’s a political tug-o-war between the Atlanta Mayor and the Gov of Georgia. First, both are on record clearly saying everyone should be wearing a mask in public. This lawsuit is about who has the right to make restrictive directives. The Gov‘s emergency directive specifically says no city can make make laws more restrictive than the state-wide ones. Mayor Bottoms went and placed a fine and jail time up to 6 months for not wearing a mask in public. Then the lawsuit came. 

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

This is actually fake news. If people read beyond the headline (or the tweet), which 99% of readers don’t do, you’ll see it’s a political tug-o-war between the Atlanta Mayor and the Gov of Georgia. First, both are on record clearly saying everyone should be wearing a mask in public. This lawsuit is about who has the right to make restrictive directives. The Gov‘s emergency directive specifically says no city can make make laws more restrictive than the state-wide ones. Mayor Bottoms went and placed a fine and jail time up to 6 months for not wearing a mask in public. Then the lawsuit came. 

1.  I'll bet the above isn't moved.  Well, I'll bet it wouldn't have been moved had I not written something.  EDIT:  It won't be moved now that' I've challenged it.  Or now maybe it WILL be moved now that I've mentioned the challenge.  Where will the freeman winds take us today?

2.  https://gov.georgia.gov/executive-action/executive-orders/2020-executive-orders  You'll want the July 15 order at the second page, where the governor substitutes "encouraged" for what his constituent counties and municipalities had decided.  That's the problem, dig?

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Right. In other words, the Governor denied the ability of counties and cities to ban masks, exactly what was reported.  So, not fake news.

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

Right. In other words, the Governor denied the ability of counties and cities to ban masks, exactly what was reported.  So, not fake news.

No. What was directly implied was that the Governor didn’t want people wearing masks and was suing a Mayor who wanted people wearing masks. And I’m not sure what you are saying about “banning” masks. No one is taking that position. 

Again, all these politicians are pleading with their constituents to wear masks. What brought on the lawsuit was the punishment of $1000 and up to 6 months of jail. 

I live in Maryland. Governor Hogan has asked everyone to wear masks. He even said it was an “emergency directive”. He also said, while it is law, it will not be enforced and there will be no punishment for wearing a mask. What has happened? Civility did. We all wear masks. Everyone. 

Edited by kas23

34 minutes ago, kas23 said:

No. What was directly implied was that the Governor didn’t want people wearing masks and was suing a Mayor who wanted people wearing masks. And I’m not sure what you are saying about “banning” masks. No one is taking that position. 

Again, all these politicians are pleading with their constituents to wear masks. What brought on the lawsuit was the punishment of $1000 and up to 6 months of jail. 

I live in Maryland. Governor Hogan has asked everyone to wear masks. He even said it was an “emergency directive”. He also said, while it is law, it will not be enforced and there will be no punishment for wearing a mask. What has happened? Civility did. We all wear masks. Everyone. 

Good.  Then why in the world would you defend what Georgia's governor did?

@nfreeman  This isn't political, right?  

Edited by Eleven

46 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Ban was a mistype.  I meant to say require.  You're doing the implying.  I am referring to the actual words.  It was factual.  The Gov is preventing the local gov'ts from requiring masks.  It is what it is.

A law is not worth the paper it is written on without a penalty for non-compliance.

This may go to politics, or not.  It’s government, but it’s agnostic and not tribal.  Washington vs Albany is Deliverance and Dueling Banjos, to me.  The musicians are polar opposites, but neither has the high ground vis-à-vis the other.

Edited by Neo

14 minutes ago, Neo said:

This may go to politics, or not.  It’s government, but it’s agnostic and not tribal.  Washington vs Albany is Deliverance and Dueling Banjos, to me.  The musicians are polar opposites, but neither has the high ground vis-à-vis the other.

Well, New York has done a good job so far.  Not an A, but a B+ .  "Washington," which is your codeword for Trump to avoid censorship (nice try but I'm not taking it anymore), has not.  That's an F.  And BS it's agnostic and not tribal.  Be honest with yourself and with us.

Edited by Eleven

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Well, New York has done a good job so far.  Not an A, but a B+ .  "Washington," which is your codeword for Trump to avoid censorship (nice try but I'm not taking it anymore), has not.  That's an F.

I wish you graded my papers in college.

51 minutes ago, Weave said:

Ban was a mistype.  I meant to say require.  You're doing the implying.  I am referring to the actual words.  It was factual.  The Gov is preventing the local gov'ts from requiring masks.  It is what it is.

A law is not worth the paper it is written on without a penalty for non-compliance.

There’s a big difference between requiring people and putting them in jail. Like I wrote, we are “required” to wear masks in Maryland. At the same time, they make it clear that they will not pursue charges against anyone who chooses not to. Everyone does. 

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

I wish you graded my papers in college.

For once in this thread, you're correct.  I don't think I ever gave less than a B- when I was a professor.  Then again, my students were good.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Good.  Then why in the world would you defend what Georgia's governor did?

@nfreeman  This isn't political, right?  

Who is defending who? I’m merely stating facts. Personally, I think everyone should be wearing a mask. We’re not required to wear one here, but everyone does. I was merely pointing out facts. This debacle in Georgia is not about the pros and cons of wearing a mask like the media would like you to believe. Every politician believes you should wear a mask in Georgia. It’s about a political power struggle between two politicians who don’t see eye to eye. 

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

Every politician believes you should wear a mask in Georgia. It’s about a political power struggle between two politicians who don’t see eye to eye. 

@nfreeman  this isn't political, right?

Edited by Eleven

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

@nfreeman  this isn't political, right?

I have a feeling I’m just being used as a pawn in some other argument you may be having. So be it. However, I’ll let nfreeman decide, but I don’t think writing the word “politics” or “political” makes a post political. It’s usually the negative insinuations towards other posters and endless arguing that usually pop up when people start talking about their political views or beliefs. 

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Well, New York has done a good job so far.  Not an A, but a B+ .  "Washington," which is your codeword for Trump to avoid censorship (nice try but I'm not taking it anymore), has not.  That's an F.  And BS it's agnostic and not tribal.  Be honest with yourself and with us.

Which tribe did I praise at the expense of the other?  I called the two cities/parties/leaders/men dueling banjos where neither had the high ground vis-à-vis the other.  If that’s not agnostic, I don’t know what the word means.  I can assure you, I hold them in the same regard on this issue.

You’re welcome to substitute names or parties and you’re likely to be correct.  It’s hardly a riddle.  After you do, though, you’re left with a post that elevated neither at the expense of the other.

I can be no more honest.  

Just now, Neo said:

Which tribe did I praise at the expense of the other?  I called the two cities/parties/leaders/men dueling banjos where neither had the high ground vis-à-vis the other.  If that’s not agnostic, I don’t know what the word means.  I can assure you, I hold them in the same regard on this issue.

You’re welcome to substitute names or parties and you’re likely to be correct.  It’s hardly a riddle.  After you do, though, you’re left with a post that elevated neither at the expense of the other.

I can be no more honest.  

Oh give it a rest and play your trumpet.  It's hardly disguised, Neo, and now you're trying to play me as a fool, which I do not appreciate at all.

Edited by Eleven

46 minutes ago, Neo said:

tribal

You’ve used this term too many times. What is your intent with using this specific word? FYI, it’s widely seen in the Native and African American communities as a signal that they are seen as less intelligent, less able to make good decisions for themselves. For example, the Tribal police are seen as the lesser police force (even though they are policing their autonomous lands).

Not really a good word to be using in the context that you’re using it in right now. 

IMO of course.

I’ll do my best.  See Jonathan Haidt and Moral Foundations Theory.  We discussed it here in Politics for nearly a year.  Tribal is a word across ethnicities, races and cultures.  I am tribal.

Edited by Neo

13 hours ago, Eleven said:

Dr, Anthony Fauci, who IS NOT A POLITICIAN, has praised NYS for the job we've done.  I again ask those from other states to refrain from visiting right now:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/18/fauci-holds-up-new-york-as-model-for-fighting-coronavirus-they-did-it-correctly.html

Well after Cuomo killed off most of the medically fragile in the nursing homes and refused to accept responsibility, the death rate has fallen. I guess that is one way to have a decreasing death rate.  

15 minutes ago, freester said:

Well after Cuomo killed off most of the medically fragile in the nursing homes and refused to accept responsibility, the death rate has fallen. I guess that is one way to have a decreasing death rate.  

Troll on...

17 minutes ago, freester said:

Well after Cuomo killed off most of the an initially high rate of deaths among the medically fragile in the nursing homes and refused to accept responsibility, the death rate has fallen. I guess that is one way to have a decreasing death rate.  

Fixed it to stay in this thread, rather than being deported to the politics thread (note: I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the initial statement.)