COVID 19 Discussion

SABRES 0311

On 4/6/2020 at 1:55 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

And the sad thing is and don't get me wrong I don't wish this on anyone, but she won't get it.  Some innocent doing her damn shopping, or one of the kids, will and it won't end well.

Same thing with the Orange Man.  You’d think karma would have him get it, but not only has he tested negative, it was the most negative the doctor had ever seen.

• Haha (+1) 5

3 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

Same thing with the Orange Man.  You’d think karma would have him get it, but not only has he tested negative, it was the most negative the doctor had ever seen.

It was a tremendous test. Truly the best test in history. The test had a 95% approval rating among Republicans. 

• Haha (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

?

You know, I almost typed “the good news is, we can still blame Trump, for those keeping score at home” ....  I saw  it ... I saw it ....

There are those who will take joy in that (not at all saying you are one of them).

Edited by Neo

11 hours ago, Neo said:

As reported in that crazy right wing Washington Post .... (note ...  the excerpt below appears on the Fox News Web site and quotes the Post.  I can access some content on the Post, but not this article in full.   I can see it, but access is subscription pop up blocked.  In other words, I confirmed the story and the source.   For those interested, there are dozens of media following this.)

“In a series of diplomatic cables labeled "Sensitive But Unclassified," U.S. Embassy officials warned that the lab had massive management weaknesses, posed severe health risks and warned Washington to get involved.

The first cable, which was obtained by The Washington Post, also sent red flags about the lab's work on bat coronaviruses and more specifically how their potential human transmission represented the risk of a new SARS-like pandemic.

"During interactions with scientists at the WIV laboratory, they noted the new lab has a serious shortage of appropriately trained technicians and investigators needed to safely operate this high-containment laboratory," the Jan.19, 2018, cable, written by two officials from the embassy's environment, science and health sections who met with the WIV scientists, said.“

“The risk of a SARS like pandemic” is all I need to read to understand inaction by any organization. Less than a thousand people died of SARS. How TF is that a pandemic?!

I’ll just say that president Xi and president Trump’s relationship is more than questionable. At this point, I would believe just about anything as to the origin of this. Doesn’t change my opinion on any of the players or what I feel about any of their character.

This whole thing from the start has had my spidey senses tingling. 

EDIT: Edit to fix an unfortunate typo. “This whole thing has my spidey senses tingling. Not “this Who thing...”

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

This sounds really promising, so much so that stock futures "surged" on the news that Remdesivir might be an effective anti-viral based on a trial of severely ill patients.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/

I was watching the White House briefing and my ears perked up at how almost ebullient, to use a Fauci-esque word, the good doctor was when talking about what good or great shape the U.S. would be in by the fall. He is normally very cautious. I wonder if he knows there's a good treatment right around the corner.

The stock market is very irrational right now.  There are over 20 million unemployed Americans.  20.  Million.  Stock market still rebounds.  FOMO is running wild right now.  Didn’t watch the presser but I feel so bad for Dr. Fauci, the pressure he is under.  Trump  needs the economy to recover prior to elections and he needs Fauci to flaunt any hope out there.

8 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

And this: https://apnews.com/68a9e1b91de4ffc166acd6012d82c2f9

The fact that they waited 6 days. At least 2 different approaches.

You be the judge.

I’m all for retrospective to see where things were handled appropriately or inappropriately. Perhaps those six days were mishandled.

A part of me feels like this post is more “can you believe they waited six days?” when this president denied everything until March. I apologize if that isn’t the intent of your post. I don’t think we are the envy of the world right now in our response. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, SDS said:

I’m all for retrospective to see where things were handled appropriately or inappropriately. Perhaps those six days were mishandled.

A part of me feels like this post is more “can you believe they waited six days?” when this president denied everything until March. I apologize if that isn’t the intent of your post. I don’t think we are the envy of the world right now in our response. 

One thing this pandemic has done is highlight the flaws of nearly every institution.  Reactionary, defensive communist regime full of fearful bureaucrats?  Not a surprise they sat on the problem and tried to cover up the true extent of the outbreak: it was predictable.  Science-skeptical President who carried out his mandate of gutting established bureaucracies and prefers his own instincts to actual data?  Can’t be surprised that his “nothing to see here” first reaction made him look like the mayor from Jaws.  Regardless of your politics, you could have gone from institution to institution around the world and predicted exactly what ended up happening based on the type of people in charge and their professed world outlooks.

From the standpoint of American society writ large, I hope this is an apolitical statement: we generally prefer a “buy now, pay later” approach.  We finance things on credit, it’s part of the American DNA.  This is what we’ve chosen, always.  Americans don’t want to spend now to deal with a problem in the future: we don’t want to pay now for a medical infrastructure that would maybe help some future generation deal with a pandemic.  This is the result; it was entirely predictable.   Some might say the next big debt coming due is climate change, but even suggesting that has become “political” so I won’t go there.  Personally I would hope society learns some lessons from all of this and realizes that being guided by anything other than science and data is a dangerous recipe for catastrophe - but some things are so deeply embedded in American culture that I’m skeptical anything will really change.

Edited by Cascade Youth
  • Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, SDS said:

"this president denied everything until March" 

Not getting into the entire timeline, but a couple of key items.

Task force formed in January.  Flights to/from China shut down on January 31 which was OPPOSED by WHO.  

The US didn't see its 30th case (not death, case) until March 1st according to the CDC.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

"this president denied everything until March" 

Not getting into the entire timeline, but a couple of key items.

Task force formed in January.  Flights to/from China shut down on January 31 which was OPPOSED by WHO.  

The US didn't see its 30th case (not death, case) until March 1st according to the CDC.

This is not factual. US Citizens and others were allowed to fly into the US after being in China. In addition, you just had to change flights to get from China to the US. Further the US most likely got things from Europe. Flights from Italy continued long after it was clear there was a problem there. Also also there was no screening of people coming in from those places. 

Idc about the WHO to be honest. They didn't do a good job. I care that the US to this day still has no national policy. There is still no widespread testing. The states with the most testing have the most cases. I just hope that the re-open strategy NY's coalition comes up with is successful. 

Edited by LGR4GM

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is not factual. US Citizens and others were allowed to fly into the US after being in China. In addition, you just had to change flights to get from China to the US. Further the US most likely got things from Europe. Flights from Italy continued long after it was clear there was a problem there. Also also there was no screening of people coming in from those places. 

Idc about the WHO to be honest. They didn't do a good job. I care that the US to this day still has no national policy. There is still no widespread testing. The states with the most testing have the most cases. I just hope that the re-open strategy NY's coalition comes up with is successful. 

Yes, American citizens were allowed back into the US through a small window.  They were supposed to self- quarantine upon return.

And there were screening procedures in place.  But, at the ground level those procedures weren't universally followed.

Agree that it would have been good to stop flights from Italy sooner, but not sure that was possible without shutting down flights from all of Europe.  (No data on how our treaties regarding air travel with Europe are structured, but expect there is a high probability that it is structured as all of Europe airflights would have to have been shut down.)

None of which refutes the point that "this president denied everything until March" was hyperbole.

4 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

One thing this pandemic has done is highlight the flaws of nearly every institution.  Reactionary, defensive communist regime full of fearful bureaucrats?  Not a surprise they sat on the problem and tried to cover up the true extent of the outbreak: it was predictable.  Science-skeptical President who carried out his mandate of gutting established bureaucracies and prefers his own instincts to actual data?  Can’t be surprised that his “nothing to see here” first reaction made him look like the mayor from Jaws.  Regardless of your politics, you could have gone from institution to institution around the world and predicted exactly what ended up happening based on the type of people in charge and their professed world outlooks.

From the standpoint of American society writ large, I hope this is an apolitical statement: we generally prefer a “buy now, pay later” approach.  We finance things on credit, it’s part of the American DNA.  This is what we’ve chosen, always.  Americans don’t want to spend now to deal with a problem in the future: we don’t want to pay now for a medical infrastructure that would maybe help some future generation deal with a pandemic.  This is the result; it was entirely predictable.   Some might say the next big debt coming due is climate change, but even suggesting that has become “political” so I won’t go there.  Personally I would hope society learns some lessons from all of this and realizes that being guided by anything other than science and data is a dangerous recipe for catastrophe - but some things are so deeply embedded in American culture that I’m skeptical anything will really change.

It is a damned shame this post was relegated to the Politics club and therefore won't get much commentary.

I agree with the premise.  As a whole we could have predicted the responses, and as a whole, we as a society do only seem to react to the short term, to what is right in front of us.  Our government is addicted to deficit spending and solutions that are timed to the election cycle, our individual houselholds are addicted to deficit spending.  Our corporations make decisions that benefit short term shareholder goals at the expense of longer term societal ones. Every segment of our culture pushes a kick the can down the road mentality.   And the run up and aftermath of COVID-19 is an excellent representation of the risk of that kind of culture.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

It is a damned shame this post was relegated to the Politics club and therefore won't get much commentary.

You know what else sucks about this policy?  Cacade Youth isn't a member of this club so even HE won't have the opportunity to continue the conversation.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I agree with the premise.  As a whole we could have predicted the responses, and as a whole, we as a society do only seem to react to the short term, to what is right in front of us.  Our government is addicted to deficit spending and solutions that are timed to the election cycle, our individual houselholds are addicted to deficit spending.  Our corporations make decisions that benefit short term shareholder goals at the expense of longer term societal ones. Every segment of our culture pushes a kick the can down the road mentality.   And the run up and aftermath of COVID-19 is an excellent representation of the risk of that kind of culture.

51 minutes ago, Weave said:

You know what else sucks about this policy?  Cacade Youth isn't a member of this club so even HE won't have the opportunity to continue the conversation.

And yet certain political posts from yesterday remain.  Curious.

9 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

And now we are having protests in mostly  red states. People never learn.

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

Coumo’s is way more pissed at McConnell’s statement than he is letting on.

And he seems really pissed.

i didn't see the video, but from what little I've read it sure sounded like a blatant statement that Democrat leaning states would be treated differently than Republican leaning states.  And if accurate, that's just plain bull *****.  We're all Americans.

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

i didn't see the video, but from what little I've read it sure sounded like a blatant statement that Democrat leaning states would be treated differently than Republican leaning states.  And if accurate, that's just plain bull *****.  We're all Americans.

He answered the question about McConnell and he just sounded angry but calm. They moved on to the next question and one of the other people with him was answering and he interrupted them and went back to it. He was hot. Talked about NY being a net payer and McConnell's Kentucky being a net receiver of federal funds and said, "Who's bailing out who?" It was great. 

Dipping in to parts of his press conferences is the only tv I watch every day about this. He's like America's dad in this. I won't watch our drunk uncle's press conferences.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

These Trump Propaganda Briefings every day are amazing. The amount of lying, narcissism, misinformation, and downright assholery is truly a spectacle to behold. It is weird living during the fall of the Republic and if you have studied the decline of the Roman Republic, the parallels are uncanny. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm still mad at China

Fluhan, China???

I cut my own hair, been doing it for years. But I'll tell ya, it took a long ass time before I could go out without a hat. Top and sides are easy, but the back is a PITA!!

• Haha (+1) 1