COVID 19 Discussion

SABRES 0311

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

China killing off all the early whistleblowers of the disease and lying about all their numbers, then blaming the US for the whole thing--- not a dick move.

Did that actually happen?

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Did that actually happen?

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/chinese-probe-finds-coronavirus-whistleblower-doctor-was-punished-inappropriately

^^ he's just the most publicized one.  Who also managed to die at the age of 34.  (Yes, the amount of exposure is a factor.. but he's the only healthy 34yo to die from it..)

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/inside-chinas-campaign-to-blame-the-us-for-the-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-03-15

Wasn't Xi blaming the US, but their military absolutely sowed the seeds of discord.

As for lying about the numbers--- when has China EVER been faithful reporting?  Never.  They don't get a pass now.

Edited by triumph_communes

1 hour ago, drnkirishone said:

Well let's start with the last statement. I need a smartphone because my employer has told me I need one.

Earned the right? It is funny hearing that in connection to a discussion on the extremely wealthy, I do have a disdain for titans of industry thou. Because historically they have not been good people. They step on thous below them to raise themselves higher and savagely lash out and destroy any that oppose them

So your illusion of choice example is not relevant.  Your employer mandated you have one.  Your employer creates the situation for you.  You can choose to change jobs if you feel that strongly about it.  I moved out of healthcare when they finally forced me to have a flu shot.  Not ideal, but I absolutely refused to have the shot.

Yes, earned the right.  What people CHOOSE to do with that is on them.  They still have to earn it.  You act as though the common every day worker has never backstabbed another worker to try to get ahead.  

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/chinese-probe-finds-coronavirus-whistleblower-doctor-was-punished-inappropriately

^^ he's just the most publicized one.  Who also managed to die at the age of 34.  (Yes, the amount of exposure is a factor.. but he's the only healthy 34yo to die from it..)

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/inside-chinas-campaign-to-blame-the-us-for-the-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-03-15

Wasn't Xi blaming the US, but their military absolutely sowed the seeds of discord.

As for lying about the numbers--- when has China EVER been faithful reporting?  Never.  They don't get a pass now.

Gottit. They were ***** and lied, so we should be ***** and lie.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

It’s also not the name of the virus.

It so obviously intended to whip up nationalism.  How can that even be debated?  The leader of our country is taking to using his own name for a pandemic virus for political points.  Just simply distasteful.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LTS said:

So your illusion of choice example is not relevant.  Your employer mandated you have one.  Your employer creates the situation for you.  You can choose to change jobs if you feel that strongly about it.  I moved out of healthcare when they finally forced me to have a flu shot.  Not ideal, but I absolutely refused to have the shot.

Yes, earned the right.  What people CHOOSE to do with that is on them.  They still have to earn it.  You act as though the common every day worker has never backstabbed another worker to try to get ahead.  

You quitting a job because you had to get a flu shot is very telling. As is the use of if you don't like it quit.

The common every day worker is not the one paying to have laws passed and regulations curtailed for the benefit of profit margins

14 hours ago, Weave said:

It so obviously intended to whip up nationalism.  How can that even be debated?  The leader of our country is taking to using his own name for a pandemic virus for political points.  Just simply distasteful.

Adding to what I posted earlier, what is really disappointing is, we are throwing a bunch of blame towards China for not being forthcoming regarding the severity of this virus ealry on (and rightfully so), yet it's completely obvious that lots of people aren't making a big deal about Trump calling it Chinese flu or whatever because it is factually accurate, they're doing it to deflect from Trump's own mistakes.   Mistakes that effectively did exactly what the Chinese were doing early on.

And now with the disclosure that several members of Congress profited from stock sales once word got out from China, it is painfully obvious that OUR government knew how bad this could get and pulled the China move of non-disclosure anyway.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Trump calling it Chinese flu or whatever because it is factually accurate, they're doing it to deflect from Trump's own mistakes

That's what bullsh!tters do. Deflect. 

2 hours ago, Weave said:

And now with the disclosure that several members of Congress profited from stock sales once word got out from China, it is painfully obvious that OUR government knew how bad this could get and pulled the China move of non-disclosure anyway.

Well you live in the part of my district that overwhelmingly supported Collins. You saw how he won a seat in the House after being arrested by the FBI for the same damn thing. I'm guessing that the current situation will provide them with enough grease to slip right of this with no problems.

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

That's what bullsh!tters do. Deflect. 

Well you live in the part of my district that overwhelmingly supported Collins. You saw how he won a seat in the House after being arrested by the FBI for the same damn thing. I'm guessing that the current situation will provide them with enough grease to slip right of this with no problems.

And it's not the financial gain, per se, that bothers me the most.  It's the understanding that our leadership knew how bad this could get and chose to gild the lilly instead of enact measures to prevent the level of infection we are seeing today.  People's live are being affected so they could project a warm, happy place.

10 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

You quitting a job because you had to get a flu shot is very telling. As is the use of if you don't like it quit.

The common every day worker is not the one paying to have laws passed and regulations curtailed for the benefit of profit margins

I'm not sure what your first point is...

As to your second statement. No, the common every day worker is the one who is electing the politician who passes those laws and regulations. Imagine if the common every day worker actually demanded honesty and good representation. Imagine if the common every day worker actually got into politics.  Imagine if the common every day worker actually got involved in making change instead of just complaining about what others do.

I wonder how many people who don’t get the flu shot also make fun of Jenny McCarthy for being an anti-vaxer.

I wonder how many people will refuse to get a Covid shot once a vaccine is discovered.

Just wondering.

15 hours ago, SwampD said:

I wonder how many people who don’t get the flu shot also make fun of Jenny McCarthy for being an anti-vaxer.

I wonder how many people will refuse to get a Covid shot once a vaccine is discovered.

Just wondering.

Jenny McCarthy is an idiot.  So I can answer that question for you with regards to me.  The flu "vaccine" is not really like other vaccines.  It's seasonal and it's a "best guess". Refusing to get the flu shot should not be compared with refusing to get a polio or mumps vaccine.

The real question, with regards to a COVID vaccine, should one be formulated, is whether or not it will be mandated. The virus poses a serious threat to society.  Anything regarding a decision would be purely speculative.  That said, thinking through it logically, if it is determined that those who have had COVID-19 are no longer able to be reinfected then I would imagine it would make sense to only require vaccination in those who have never had it.  Assuming it's possible to test for that situation.

9 minutes ago, LTS said:

Jenny McCarthy is an idiot.  So I can answer that question for you with regards to me.  The flu "vaccine" is not really like other vaccines.  It's seasonal and it's a "best guess". Refusing to get the flu shot should not be compared with refusing to get a polio or mumps vaccine.

The real question, with regards to a COVID vaccine, should one be formulated, is whether or not it will be mandated. The virus poses a serious threat to society.  Anything regarding a decision would be purely speculative.  That said, thinking through it logically, if it is determined that those who have had COVID-19 are no longer able to be reinfected then I would imagine it would make sense to only require vaccination in those who have never had it.  Assuming it's possible to test for that situation.

This is BS. The flu poses a real threat to society and will most likely kill more people than covid this year, by a lot. There’s a reason they hand out shots for free to as many that will take it.

To anyone who doesn’t get the shot, you’re welcome. I’m doing my part to up the herd immunity.

And yes, Jenny McCarthy is an idiot.

Still think she’s funny, though.

...and hot.

23 hours ago, LTS said:

As to your second statement. No, the common every day worker is the one who is electing the politician who passes those laws and regulations. Imagine if the common every day worker actually demanded honesty and good representation. Imagine if the common every day worker actually got into politics.  Imagine if the common every day worker actually got involved in making change instead of just complaining about what others do.

This is not a john Lennon song. In the real world the system is designed to benefit the rich and the rich use that money and influence to further the benefits.

On 3/21/2020 at 2:22 PM, LTS said:

I think we all can readily acknowledge that it is damned near impossible for the common man to rise above influencing at anything other than local level politics.  The game has been rigged against that happening at the state level and up for generations.  Hell, in most metropolitan areas the common man can't even rise to county level influence.

The idea that "we" could get a foothold into that to make change seems far fetched.

19 minutes ago, Weave said:

Anyone want to touch how Rand Paul, who had no symptoms and wasn't exposed to anyone to justify a self quarantine, was able to get tested when many showing symptoms can't get one?

He has the money and connection(s) to get tested. Does that answer the question? 

13 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

He has the money and connection(s) to get tested. Does that answer the question? 

Obviously.  But the real question is, why is that important in the midst of a pandemic?

It's interesting that Paul was tested even though doing so was a flagrant violation of the CDC rules for testing that everyone else has to follow.

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Obviously.  But the real question is, why is that important in the midst of a pandemic?

It's interesting that Paul was tested even though doing so was a flagrant violation of the CDC rules for testing that everyone else has to follow.

I would think that we want the people who are going to be voting on multi-trillion dollar stimulus packages healthily and able to vote. I have no problem with our elected officials getting tested preemptively.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I would think that we want the people who are going to be voting on multi-trillion dollar stimulus packages healthily and able to vote. I have no problem with our elected officials getting tested preemptively.

Asymptomatic, no known contact. Do we test them weekly?  Daily? 

Let's bathe them in tests.

People. Canadian here. Sorry, don’t want to insult anyone, but Trump is butchering this. I have a friend who is now a scientist in St Louis. He says the US is 6 weeks behind. And Trump spewing nonsense isn’t helping. 

Here in BC we are starting to have more difficulties. Not enough being done as far as locking it down. Yesterday in Vancouver it was a beautiful day and people were out in droves well within the social distancing guidelines.  

I work for a government run liquor store and it’s madness in there with the business running like it’s a week before Christmas. I am very concerned as I’m dealing with more people and they aren’t following guidelines either. 

But our government while not perfect is farther ahead than the US is. I feel for everyone. Be safe  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Weave said:

Asymptomatic, no known contact. Do we test them weekly?  Daily? 

Let's bathe them in tests.

I would not be surprised if Paul used his contacts to get access to testing. I also have no evidence for it so I need to be honest on that. 

The stimulus bill went up to 2T during negotiations. I wonder if any specific businesses get ear marked funds. If so which of those businesses have ties to politicians. I’m probably just going down a rabbit hole though.