The Sabres have become second rate ...

Zamboni

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Are you seriously comparing KBA to any of those places? They were historic sites and shrines to the sport, this place was literally falling apart before it even opened (there are cracks in the building from the rush job/shoddy work to get it done in time). The only arena left in the entire sport that doesn't make the place look like a toilet is the Nassau Coliseum, and watching a game in that place is a billion times better. And you are missing the bigger picture: you can't control the results on the ice, but you can control what's off it. Whether it's promotions, pre game videos, not keeping that idiot DJ Milk around, having concession items more appealing than MRE's, having displays of historic moments in the arena (Thanks for removing the Buffalo Sports HOF display to expand the team store that ran out of the 50th anniversary jerseys!) or fixing up the arena so it isn't a complete dump our ownership has done none of this. Whether it's because they are completely incompetent or because they simply don't care is the only question.

I agree with you on the Arena.  I have visited a few of the newer arenas, and even been to a couple about the age of the Key Bank Arena but the others having gone through a recent renevation...and what we have here in Buffalo is MILES behind what the other cities have.

I've said it before on these boards....the Arena DOES matter in todays day and age.  If you care about hockey and hockey alone (not the Arena experience) for most people watching at home gives you a better view...better replays...a better overall view of the game.  The arena exists for a fan wanting more than just the game, but rather an experience.  Whether us 'old timers' like it or not..the experience is now a lot more than just hearing the crowd in person or seeing the players up close (if you are lucky enough to sit that close). The gameday experience is how nice the Arena is...how great of a 'night out' it is compared to just absorbing the game at home.  All those things that other Arenas now have that Buffalo doesn't...those are the additions to the 'gameday experience' that goes beyond watching the game on TV that we are lacking here.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:19 AM, sabremike said:

Please point out what you object to in this article because I read it and can't find a single thing any reasonable person would argue isn't 100% spot on.

I agree with the author's observations too.  In one of the ongoing threads around here, I recently pointed out that Schopp and the Bulldog dedicated several hours to this theme last week.  

I think it started for them when on "'90s Saturday afternoon" we didn't wear the black/white/red Goat head uniforms, and several players had their names printed incorrectly on cheap, knock-off jerseys.  I guess that was true on '70s night as well.

Bulldog went off on how the building, in general, needs cosmetic attention.  Several callers called in contributing to the feeling that the organization is totally clueless as to what fans want. 

This is nothing surprising for me in general, but I did think Pegula would be a bit better than this. 

I wonder if he is truly distracted by owning the Bills.  

For a guy like him, the Bills ownership gig is the big game he really wanted, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has somewhat forgotten about the Sabres.  His wife running the show was never going to help, as some of us said the day she was named president.

And let's not forget something: Kim and Terry Pegula are billionaires trying to enjoy the big life, with their domicile in Boca Raton, Florida.  Just exactly how much time, thought, and energy are they dedicating to making Buffalo hockey heaven?

Is it even possible to compare Kim's efforts (whatever they may be) to a professional who lives in Buffalo and whose only concern is running a hockey team?  

As I mentioned in the other thread, one of the WGR-55 callers last week mentioned that he and his buddies have been asking if the team is any better off now than during the Golisano years.  Their conclusion was that it really isn't.

I think most fans, even "Zamboni" and "Dudacek" have to agree with this.

Edited by Kruppstahl

6 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Who the hell is Jeremy Moser? 

Someone tell him "Neglection" isn't a word.

Neglection of the team is felt by fans, not organization

Absolutely hilarious.

Neglection is now, unfortunately, a part of my lexicon, as I knew exactly what he meant.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I agree with the author's observations too.  In one of the ongoing threads around here, I recently pointed out that Schopp and the Bulldog dedicated several hours to this theme last week.  

I think it started for them when on "'90s Saturday afternoon" we didn't wear the black/white/red Goat head uniforms, and several players had their names printed incorrectly on cheap, knock-off jerseys.  I guess that was true on '70s night as well.

Bulldog went off on how the building, in general, needs cosmetic attention.  Several callers called in contributing to the feeling that the organization is totally clueless as to what fans want. 

This is nothing surprising for me in general, but I did think Pegula would be a bit better than this. 

I wonder if he is truly distracted by owning the Bills.  

For a guy like him, the Bills ownership gig is the big game he really wanted, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has somewhat forgotten about the Sabres.  His wife running the show was never going to help, as some of us said the day she was named president.

And let's not forget something: Kim and Terry Pegula are billionaires trying to enjoy the big life, with their domicile in Boca Raton, Florida.  Just exactly how much time, thought, and energy are they dedicating to making Buffalo hockey heaven?

Is it even possible to compare Kim's efforts (whatever they may be) to a professional who lives in Buffalo and whose only concern is running a hockey team?  

As I mentioned in the other thread, one of the WGR-55 callers last week mentioned that he and his buddies have been asking if the team is any better off now than during the Golisano years.  Their conclusion was that it really isn't.

I think most fans, even "Zamboni" and "Dudacek" have to agree with this.

First off ... most  WGR callers are clueless cromagnoms who call to hear themselves on the radio, then call their friends to say “hey did you hear me on the radio?” They rarely make valid logical well thought out points and just spew emotion filled rants based on that moment in time. They often think in a vacuum. 

Secondly, This opinion I’ve held for a few years now. And I’ve heard it all trying to convince me to be harsher in my opinion. Pegulas have their faults. No doubt. Don’t like everything about their ownership. I’ve also liked a lot of what they’ve done. And I’m old enough to remember all the owners of the Sabres. For me the best was the Knoxes. Next is Pegulas. Then Golisano. Then the Regas family. I don’t technically consider the NHL as owners. More like stewards until they could find an owner.
People can pick apart all the things they want and take the easy well traveled road of negativity. It’s those that can also recognize and mention the good things that ownership has done. Those are the people I respect and listen to their opinions on both negative and positive. And no, I’m not gonna list all the good things or bad things I think the Pegulas have done. It would be an exercise in futility. I’d be changing no ones mind. These forums rarely do when one is clearly dug in and doesn’t want to actually debate with an open mind.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

Are you seriously comparing KBA to any of those places? They were historic sites and shrines to the sport, this place was literally falling apart before it even opened (there are cracks in the building from the rush job/shoddy work to get it done in time). The only arena left in the entire sport that doesn't make the place look like a toilet is the Nassau Coliseum, and watching a game in that place is a billion times better. And you are missing the bigger picture: you can't control the results on the ice, but you can control what's off it. Whether it's promotions, pre game videos, not keeping that idiot DJ Milk around, having concession items more appealing than MRE's, having displays of historic moments in the arena (Thanks for removing the Buffalo Sports HOF display to expand the team store that ran out of the 50th anniversary jerseys!) or fixing up the arena so it isn't a complete dump our ownership has done none of this. Whether it's because they are completely incompetent or because they simply don't care is the only question.

I’m saying all of the storied places got old, much older, and they were still better than KBA.  

Edited by Pimlach

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I liked the red and blacks jerseys as well.  I'd like to see them as a permanent 3rd to be worn a few times per year.

League rules won't let them become permanent thirds unless the next royal blue uniform released next year has black in it.  The buffalo's eye makes the red acceptable, but they have no black in the logo nor the primary unis, so they aren't allowed to use black in a 3rd uni.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

League rules won't let them become permanent thirds unless the next royal blue uniform released next year has black in it.  The buffalo's eye makes the red acceptable, but they have no black in the logo nor the primary unis, so they aren't allowed to use black in a 3rd uni.

The eye was the best part absolutely. The jersey suited the team in that era too. Almost like one led to another, but that was the one era where we were a hard working gritty bunch and they went for that whole lunch bucket working man's team thing. Of course then the wheels fell off the ownership but it was good for a brief while.

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

Then how does Vancouver wear the 78 Black Skate retro jersey?   Multiple colors in that that are not in their primary color scheme?

39 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Then how does Vancouver wear the 78 Black Skate retro jersey?   Multiple colors in that that are not in their primary color scheme?

Those aren't permanent 3rds.  They are special "vintage" unis released in conjunction with the 50th anniversary.

The league has myriad rules around 3rds, vintages, anniversary, and outdoor game unis (the outdoor game unis being wearable in season after the outdoor game).  Vintage sweaters are allowed to be worn a limited # of times for special occasions.  Their usage is more restricted than the wearing of 3rds.

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.