The Sabres have become second rate ...

Zamboni

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2020/1/23/21078068/the-buffalo-sabres-have-become-second-rate

An article mixed with bloviating, and dramatic conclusions and assumptions. But also has some cold hard truth in there as well. Kind of hit piece meets somewhere in the middle with somber facts.

Please point out what you object to in this article because I read it and can't find a single thing any reasonable person would argue isn't 100% spot on.

• Like (+1) 1

In the years before the Pegulas purchased the Bills, Mike Schopp mentioned that some in the Bills Front Office felt the team had an aura of superiority over the Sabres. This was the same time The Sabres were making playoff runs and the Bills weren’t even half way through their playoff drought. He mentioned one individual he spoke with frequently that had this attitude.

Fast forward to the Pegulas purchasing the Bills. Tim Graham reported that one of the biggest shocks for them was how much better and more efficient the business office for the Bills was compared to the Sabres. This was the primary reason why Russ Brandon was moved into the position of President for Both Organizations. I also believe that Brandon is the individual that Schopp was referring to. 
The fact he was in this position to have influence over the Sabres was probably detrimental. 

To say that Terry Pegula appears to be easily influenced, does not seem like a stretch. He had a lunch meeting with PLF and he is announced to a leadership position with the Sabres in short order.  The fact that The Pegulas saw first hand the money making machine that is the NFL, even in one of its smallest markets, had to influence their thinking. Also NFL Ownership is one of the most exclusive clubs in the world, the majority ownership for all clubs with the exception of Green Bay are Billionaires in a league with annual revenues approaching 13 Billion, compare that to the NHL 3.1 Billion.  They also purchased the Bills for 1.4 Billion and the Carolina Panthers were sold a few seasons later 2.6 Billion meaning any franchise sold after this will easily approach 3 Billion, so they have doubled their investment in a few short years. I know that Forbes Values the franchise under a Billion, but I’m looking at the resale value of the team, particularly if they allowed it to be relocated.  So devoting more time, effort and resources to Bills is a realistic possibility. 

I do believe there is a plan in place to renovate Key Bank Center and the announcement is being delayed until the plans are finalized for a Downtown Bills Stadium. They most likely will be asking for hundreds of millions from New York State to assist in building the new stadium, so they might say we are investing our own money into a KBC Renovation in an attempt to make it easier for the public to swallow.  Or they might ask for public funding for both at once. 

There are some rumors floating around about the the lack of Red and Black Jerseys for the team. The first was that certain alumni members hated the change in color and the fact that it was associated with one of the darker times in team history with the Rigas Ownership. The second was they missed a deadline with Adidas to have the jerseys done in enough time and with the fact that they did not order enough 50th Jerseys this is a strong possibility.

What does this all mean?

Nothing because the Pegulas own the team and can run it how they see fit 

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

In the years before the Pegulas purchased the Bills, Mike Schopp mentioned that some in the Bills Front Office felt the team had an aura of superiority over the Sabres. This was the same time The Sabres were making playoff runs and the Bills weren’t even half way through their playoff drought. He mentioned one individual he spoke with frequently that had this attitude.

Fast forward to the Pegulas purchasing the Bills. Tim Graham reported that one of the biggest shocks for them was how much better and more efficient the business office for the Bills was compared to the Sabres. This was the primary reason why Russ Brandon was moved into the position of President for Both Organizations. I also believe that Brandon is the individual that Schopp was referring to. 
The fact he was in this position to have influence over the Sabres was probably detrimental. 

To say that Terry Pegula appears to be easily influenced, does not seem like a stretch. He had a lunch meeting with PLF and he is announced to a leadership position with the Sabres in short order.  The fact that The Pegulas saw first hand the money making machine that is the NFL, even in one of its smallest markets, had to influence their thinking. Also NFL Ownership is one of the most exclusive clubs in the world, the majority ownership for all clubs with the exception of Green Bay are Billionaires in a league with annual revenues approaching 13 Billion, compare that to the NHL 3.1 Billion.  They also purchased the Bills for 1.4 Billion and the Carolina Panthers were sold a few seasons later 2.6 Billion meaning any franchise sold after this will easily approach 3 Billion, so they have doubled their investment in a few short years. I know that Forbes Values the franchise under a Billion, but I’m looking at the resale value of the team, particularly if they allowed it to be relocated.  So devoting more time, effort and resources to Bills is a realistic possibility. 

I do believe there is a plan in place to renovate Key Bank Center and the announcement is being delayed until the plans are finalized for a Downtown Bills Stadium. They most likely will be asking for hundreds of millions from New York State to assist in building the new stadium, so they might say we are investing our own money into a KBC Renovation in an attempt to make it easier for the public to swallow.  Or they might ask for public funding for both at once. 

There are some rumors floating around about the the lack of Red and Black Jerseys for the team. The first was that certain alumni members hated the change in color and the fact that it was associated with one of the darker times in team history with the Rigas Ownership. The second was they missed a deadline with Adidas to have the jerseys done in enough time and with the fact that they did not order enough 50th Jerseys this is a strong possibility.

What does this all mean?

Nothing because the Pegulas own the team and can run it how they see fit 

The goatheads were an abomination.  Let those things die a peaceful death.  

• Like (+1) 2

On a more serious note, the state of the Sabres is especially frustrating because you know the Pegulas want nothing more than to build winning teams in Buffalo. I think they are really trying their hardest to get it done, and have certainly shown they are willing to pay for it. It just takes a little luck and good fortune, too, on several fronts, and they haven't had much of that luck on the hockey side of things. Then you look at the Bills, where a lot of things have fallen into place, and you see the proof that they can do it. 

I believe that as long as Terry and Kim own the franchise, they will eventually have success. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, inkman said:

The goatheads were an abomination.  Let those things die a peaceful death.  

There is a generation of Sabres Fans that grew up those jerseys though, the merchandise with that logo has been a very good seller-as well. One night with those jerseys, given the fact they worn them in Their Last Cup Appearance, would have been perfect combination of fan appeasement and good business practices as they would sold out of replica jerseys. 

I was a fan of the shoulder patch, with the B with the sword through it the emblem on the crest I could do without. 

54 minutes ago, Skibum said:

On a more serious note, the state of the Sabres is especially frustrating because you know the Pegulas want nothing more than to build winning teams in Buffalo. I think they are really trying their hardest to get it done, and have certainly shown they are willing to pay for it. It just takes a little luck and good fortune, too, on several fronts, and they haven't had much of that luck on the hockey side of things. Then you look at the Bills, where a lot of things have fallen into place, and you see the proof that they can do it. 

I believe that as long as Terry and Kim own the franchise, they will eventually have success. 

There are other things they can do off ice as well. They have expanded the Bills Analytics Department to six people, yet the Sabres only  Jason Nightengale and probably outsource to a company such as Stathletes. Carolina is a budget team with a very strong analytics department and their success is evident.

1 hour ago, Skibum said:

Luck does have some role, but as both Scotty Bowman said when rebuilding the Red Wings, "luck played a very minor role, solid scouting philosophy won the day", and Steve Yzerman of the Lightning attested to, "We have a great scouting and development team"  point out, luck is an after thought to a formula of success.

6 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Really fun to come out of the all star break with nobody in my family having any interest in going to games the rest of the year....including me

How the hell did i end up buying again this season

Look at the bright side, you didn’t have to buy a PSL as well. Football fans in Atlanta and elsewhere are defaulting on PSLs left and right. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

PSL???

Personal Seat License.  Basically it is a really expensive option to get the right to then be allowed to decide whether to buy season tickets or not.  And, if you decide not to buy the tickets, you don't get the money dropped on the license back.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

If anything, the article is second rate.  

Allow me to illustrate what is contributing to the agony. The team’s play, to initiate, has been lackluster. The already-condensed front office and hockey operations departments have lacked continuity. The team’s arena is outdated, and the game-day atmosphere is a yawn. Fan giveaways seem cheap and thoughtless and, in the latest edition of anguish, the team’s 50th year seems to have become more of a folly than a celebration.

We already know the teams‘ play has been poor for a unusually long time    

Condensed front office and hockey operations departments have lacked continuity?  Really what is he talking about exactly.   Try simply that they lack talent on top.  The front office should be easy to fix , the hockey operations not so much.  This part of the organization has been poor for a long time - since Golisano cut the budgets.  It is the root cause of the poor overall hockey talent levels we have experienced.  Why great hockey people don’t want to be in Buffalo is a mystery that must be solved.  We attracted Imlach and Bowman.   Have people changed that much?    Buffalo the city is on the rise, there is no excuse that we cannot get top talent in the hockey operations.   We need better than Boterill and we need a great scouting department   Come on Terry, drill another well.  Spare no expense.  

The arena.  I never liked the new place but to be honest it is not outdated in the way some of the greatest hockey venues were.  The Aud was outdated to start with and yet we loved it’s charm.  Boston Garden, Maple Leaf Gardens, Montreal Forum, Chicago Stadium, they all lasted forever and were revered by hockey fans.    You should have seen the dump the Blues played in and fans look back on it with great fondness.   The game day atmosphere is bad because we have had very few superstar players for the past 2 decades.  No one likes a team that doesn't or won’t compete.  

Giveaways are bad - Really?   Is this reaching a bit?  I saw the 50 year coverage that the Blues did just a few years back.  The Sabres are making theirs a much bigger deal.  

I’m tired of these kinds of articles.   

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Really fun to come out of the all star break with nobody in my family having any interest in going to games the rest of the year....including me

How the hell did i end up buying again this season

Very sad indeed.  Growing up in the 70’s I never thought I would see these days.  Once Pegula took over I figure he would hire the best and get out of the way.  Instead he has been misguided and lost, completely out of his element.  

44 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If anything, the article is second rate.  

Allow me to illustrate what is contributing to the agony. The team’s play, to initiate, has been lackluster. The already-condensed front office and hockey operations departments have lacked continuity. The team’s arena is outdated, and the game-day atmosphere is a yawn. Fan giveaways seem cheap and thoughtless and, in the latest edition of anguish, the team’s 50th year seems to have become more of a folly than a celebration.

We already know the teams‘ play has been poor for a unusually long time    

Condensed front office and hockey operations departments have lacked continuity?  Really what is he talking about exactly.   Try simply that they lack talent on top.  The front office should be easy to fix , the hockey operations not so much.  This part of the organization has been poor for a long time - since Golisano cut the budgets.  It is the root cause of the poor overall hockey talent levels we have experienced.  Why great hockey people don’t want to be in Buffalo is a mystery that must be solved.  We attracted Imlach and Bowman.   Have people changed that much?    Buffalo the city is on the rise, there is no excuse that we cannot get top talent in the hockey operations.   We need better than Boterill and we need a great scouting department   Come on Terry, drill another well.  Spare no expense.  

The arena.  I never liked the new place but to be honest it is not outdated in the way some of the greatest hockey venues were.  The Aud was outdated to start with and yet we loved it’s charm.  Boston Garden, Maple Leaf Gardens, Montreal Forum, Chicago Stadium, they all lasted forever and were revered by hockey fans.    You should have seen the dump the Blues played in and fans look back on it with great fondness.   The game day atmosphere is bad because we have had very few superstar players for the past 2 decades.  No one likes a team that doesn't or won’t compete.  

Giveaways are bad - Really?   Is this reaching a bit?  I saw the 50 year coverage that the Blues did just a few years back.  The Sabres are making theirs a much bigger deal.  

I’m tired of these kinds of articles.   

Are you seriously comparing KBA to any of those places? They were historic sites and shrines to the sport, this place was literally falling apart before it even opened (there are cracks in the building from the rush job/shoddy work to get it done in time). The only arena left in the entire sport that doesn't make the place look like a toilet is the Nassau Coliseum, and watching a game in that place is a billion times better. And you are missing the bigger picture: you can't control the results on the ice, but you can control what's off it. Whether it's promotions, pre game videos, not keeping that idiot DJ Milk around, having concession items more appealing than MRE's, having displays of historic moments in the arena (Thanks for removing the Buffalo Sports HOF display to expand the team store that ran out of the 50th anniversary jerseys!) or fixing up the arena so it isn't a complete dump our ownership has done none of this. Whether it's because they are completely incompetent or because they simply don't care is the only question.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:51 AM, Weave said:

It was an evolution over about 10 years or so, so yeah have become.

10 years?  The Sabres (and Bills) have been two classic "also ran" organizations from their inception, with brief moments of quality thrown in for good measure, mostly due to luck.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:01 AM, Zamboni said:

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2020/1/23/21078068/the-buffalo-sabres-have-become-second-rate

An article mixed with bloviating, and dramatic conclusions and assumptions. But also has some cold hard truth in there as well. Kind of hit piece meets somewhere in the middle with somber facts.

Who the hell is Jeremy Moser? 

Someone tell him "Neglection" isn't a word.

Neglection of the team is felt by fans, not organization

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.