Somethings About Dylan Cozens Thread

Brawndo

On 2/18/2020 at 11:48 AM, WildCard said:

Is Cozens a better prospect than Reinhart was? What about than Mitts?

Cozens was and is a better prospect than Mitts. 

I would say as a prospect, he is probably a hair below Reinhart but in a re-draft with Reinhart and Cozens in the same draft and only going off of their prospect level, it would be close. The 2019 draft was a much better draft than 2014. I would guess the 2019 draft will look like 2015 in a few years with multiple all stars (9+)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The thing about Cozens is that 6'3" centers who can skate like he can and shoot like he can are not common. I think he will need to work on his hands in terms of dekes and such but he has soft hands in close. He seems to give 0 about contact and creates havoc in front. I might think about doing this next year...

Skinner - Cozens - new vet RW

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The thing about Cozens is that 6'3" centers who can skate like he can and shoot like he can are not common. I think he will need to work on his hands in terms of dekes and such but he has soft hands in close. He seems to give 0 about contact and creates havoc in front. I might think about doing this next year...

Cozens uses his body.  Reinhart doesn't.  Prospects who rely on their body can really struggle against stronger competition, but no scout is saying Cozen depends on his body, just that he knows how to use it and has good skating to boot.  White collar vs. blue collar players.

Skinner-Cozens-X on paper looks really good.

Edited by triumph_communes

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Cozens centering Skinner and a good RW sounds great down the road, but JB should not be penciling that in for next year.  He needs to find a quality experienced #2C this summer.

He won't though. We said the same thing last summer, and the summer before that. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If you are going to do that 

Olofsson-Eichel-??? Kase/Toffoli

Skinner-Cozens-Reinhart 

And I’m not advocating putting Cozens into the 2C Role next year 

Edited by Brawndo

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If you are going to do that 

Olofsson-Eichel-??? Kase/Toffoli

Skinner-Cozens-Reinhart 

And I’m not advocating putting Cozens into the 2C Role next year 

I'm not either. I just think it's going to happen because botterill 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Cozens uses his body.  Reinhart doesn't.  Prospects who rely on their body can really struggle against stronger competition, but no scout is saying Cozen depends on his body, just that he knows how to use it and has good skating to boot.  White collar vs. blue collar players.

Skinner-Cozens-X on paper looks really good.

I have and will continue to hate the use of this. Just personal feel

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I just realized this might be @Curt Twitter Account. 

Nice work and thanks for posting this.

It’s not, lol.  I actually posted something written by him in the prospects thread the other day.  Made a point of saying it wasn’t me.

He writes for the Charging Buffalo blog.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Is that a Rayism ?

Ray catches hell for that but truth be told a lot of bordertown areas say it like that. Lots of the old timers from up North say the word “column” as “colium”...with pride...I’m sure he’s proud of all his Rayisms.

Edited by Ogre
Autocorrect....Not!
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2020 at 7:59 PM, dudacek said:

I remember Reinhart being hyped as one of four players that could have gone number one in a weaker draft, as opposed to being a consensus #2. It's interesting that both he and Ekblad landed more or less within expectations, although perhaps on the low side, while Bennett has been a huge disappointment and Draisaitl at least a full level higher than what the scouts thought he would be.

Nobody had Casey as number one in what was also a weaker draft — more in the 3-8 range with a fair amount of disagreement among scouts. There were those who had concerns given the fact he had obvious skill, but hadn't played much against the higher levels of competition. It's cold comfort to Sabres fans, but he hasn't actually slipped that much, probably still sitting in the lower part of top 10. That draft could still go in a lot of directions.

Cozens was in a stronger draft and was pegged by most to be as high as three and as low as 6. The top three picks played in the NHL this year which has to mean something, even though none of them have had slam-dunk 'clearly belong' type seasons. None of the rest have opened a gap on Cozens, in fact you good argue that he's the one that's shown the most progress.

What's interesting is that 9 or 10 months after they were picked, both Mittelstadt and Reinhart were ranked the top prospect outside the NHL by a panel of scouts in the annual Hockey News Future Watch edition. I don't expect Cozens to join them, but he will be in the conversation.

I struggle to find a good comparable for him in both style and stature if he reaches his peak. Trevor Linden with speed? Mark Messier without the leadership aura and Terminator persona? Some weird middle ground between those two maybe?

He's an interesting player. And, like Forever say above, the Sabres have no one like him.

To me he's like a Brayden Point type player if he reaches his ceiling

On 2/20/2020 at 8:16 AM, LGR4GM said:

On 2/20/2020 at 8:33 AM, nfreeman said:

Cozens centering Skinner and a good RW sounds great down the road, but JB should not be penciling that in for next year.  He needs to find a quality experienced #2C this summer.

Yup, as long as that's the third line. We NEED to bring in a 2C. No ifs, no ands, no buts. Or I'll be telling this message board (annoyingly, I'm sure) all off season like I did last, that the season is done before it starts. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/20/2020 at 6:16 AM, LGR4GM said:

I agree about his skating and offensive skill set.

What do you think about his compete level, his heart, level of commitment to the game?   

How does he measure up defensively?  Is he responsible in his own zone?

Faceoffs?

Is his neck long enough?

Edited by pi2000