Somethings About Dylan Cozens Thread

Brawndo

The wise move (because we’ve all seen this movie before) is to be cautiously optimistic with Cozens.

IF he makes the team in October.

IF he isn’t put on the top six for most of the 20-21 season.

IF he is developed wisely.

He’ll be a nice effective addition to the roster 

That’s not rushing him. That’s not expecting him to be some sort of savior or answer to the 2C hole next season. 

It will be interesting to see what fans have realistic vs. unrealistic expectations of a 19 year old rookie.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SDS said:

I respectfully request that we do not pile everything about one player into a single thread. His contract, his development, injury status, charity work, whatever... are all distinct topics that deserve their own space. 

I love Sabrespace.  But I do not understand the anti player thread.  Sometimes it’s nice having a ‘catch all’ thread for top prospects and key players on the Sabres.  Lately there is less and less reason to care about the Sabres in general and as an extension this website.  I think it is a disservice to shut down these catch all type threads.  Just imo obviously and continue to thank you for keeping sabrespace alive and well.  But a catch all thread for our top prospect is one of the only reasons of hope and why I even check in here some days....

8 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I love Sabrespace.  But I do not understand the anti player thread.  Sometimes it’s nice having a ‘catch all’ thread for top prospects and key players on the Sabres.  Lately there is less and less reason to care about the Sabres in general and as an extension this website.  I think it is a disservice to shut down these catch all type threads.  Just imo obviously and continue to thank you for keeping sabrespace alive and well.  But a catch all thread for our top prospect is one of the only reasons of hope and why I even check in here some days....

I agree that a catch all thread about a prospect is just fine. 

Yet, if Reinhart got kicked out of a Denny’s tonight, that should be separate from the Trade Reinhart thread. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Yet, if Reinhart got kicked out of a Denny’s tonight, that should be separate from the Trade Reinhart thread. 

Yes.  And it would be lol

9 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I heard it took the cook with a butcher knife, the manager and 3 cops to remove Konecny from the Denny's.  But Reino left after the waitress wouldn't let him order from the kids' menu.

• Haha (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 8:52 PM, Zamboni said:

It will be interesting to see what fans have realistic vs. unrealistic expectations of a 19 year old rookie.

A reasonable comparison might be Kirby Dach in Chicago. 17 points in 51 games. We'd be unlikely to get any more than that.

If he plays here next year he should be on the 4th line, maybe in Okposo's spot. 3rd line at best, with a little PP time now and again but that's about it. If  we pull another Mitts scenario it'll likely set him back, even though he is a different type of player.

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

A reasonable comparison might be Kirby Dach in Chicago. 17 points in 51 games. We'd be unlikely to get any more than that.

If he plays here next year he should be on the 4th line, maybe in Okposo's spot. 3rd line at best, with a little PP time now and again but that's about it. If  we pull another Mitts scenario it'll likely set him back, even though he is a different type of player.

Please no.

I can wait 1 more year and have him playing in the AHL.

Doing exactly what Mitts is doing right, right now. 

20 minutes a game.

Important faceoffs.

PK, PP

One on one and lots of practice time with coaches devoted to him.

That is the right way. If it doesn't happen right this time I will be very disappointed in Botterill.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Please no.

I can wait 1 more year and have him playing in the AHL.

Doing exactly what Mitts is doing right, right now. 

20 minutes a game.

Important faceoffs.

PK, PP

One on one and lots of practice time with coaches devoted to him.

That is the right way. If it doesn't happen right this time I will be very disappointed in Botterill.

He’s not eligible to play in AHL next year. It’s either WHL or NHL. 

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Did the Canucks mess up Quinn Hughes by having him start his D2 year in the NHL? Elias Pettersson?

So many absolutes here. You can’t count on Cozens to play next year, but if he’s ready, play him.

And they have the luxury of the nine game tryout for him and we will have to see about any rule changes in the  New CHL-NHL Agreement

4 hours ago, freester said:

He’s not eligible to play in AHL next year. It’s either WHL or NHL. 

And this is something wrong about the NHL. Many players are stuck in a situation where Juniors is not going to help them and the NHL is a stretch.  The AHL is the answer but not for players in Juniors.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Weighing in on Cozens NHL chances next season.  If Cozens is in the NHL next season, I think it should be on a line that (1) has some reasonably skilled players around him and (2) will not be used heavily as a defensive/shutdown line.  I’m also going to assume that he won’t be ready for 1st line action or anything like that.  So that seems to me like he should be tried at either C or RW on a depth scoring line.   I don’t know if that would be considered a 3rd or 4th line, it really depends on how ice time is split up.  Either way, he should be put in a situation where the pressure is clearly not on him to be an impactful scorer or to shutdown the opposition.

And if after training camp, preseason, and his first 9 NHL games, he is looking iffy, just send back to juniors with lots of praise about what he showed and a promise that he’ll be in the NHL next (2021-22) year.  Please.

Well ultimately it's about ice time and about putting him in situations where he can contribute rather than in situations where he gets overwhelmed. So you put him with coaches that can keep teaching but you don't overload him. He's a competitor and a physically strong guy. He can handle the NHL. I doubt another year in the WHL will give him much more growth. 

You know, I found out recently my youngest daughter and him crossed paths in high school when he went to the Yale hockey academy. When my other daughter was at Yale Jake Virtanen was there and he was big man around town. He was the classic loud, abrasive jock. Cozens on the other hand was hockey hockey and nothing but hockey. Totally dedicated to the sport and being the best. Make of that what you will, just an anecdote to share but I will find it weird if Cozens goes on to be a star of my hockey team as I remember picking my kid up from school numerous days late from her musical theatre rehearsals and being behind that hockey bus that was often there at that time watching the lads stowing their gear and one of them, unknown to me at the time, was him. Small world as it turns out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

For those who have watched some of Dylan's WHL games this year -- does it look like there is anything for him to gain in playing another year at that level?

Also, if he can't play at Rochester, does that mean he's with the Sabres next year? Really don't want another Grigorenko/almost Mitts on our hands

14 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Also, if he can't play at Rochester, does that mean he's with the Sabres next year? Really don't want another Grigorenko/almost Mitts on our hands

He'll get a long look in TC and almost definitely get the 9 game tryout.

Whether he stays up or heads back to the CHL really will come down to his performance in those games.  Expecting he'll earn the full year, but if not, no harm.

• Thanks (+1) 1