Walker and Jeter Elected to Baseball HOF.

GASabresIUFAN

11 hours ago, WildCard said:

Roids will do that to ya

When will MLB take some responsibility for the players being able to do this for so long with virtually NO oversight and weak drug testing policies?  THEY enabled it to happen, presumably because it brought offensive excitement to what was a dead ball era prior and they were loving it until the players got caught and then they pretended they had no knowledge of anything.  Please...they KNEW what was going on and they turned a blind eye towards it.  But now they want to make the players involved to be pariahs when they were the ones who enabled it?

Complete hypocrisy on MLB's part.

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

When will MLB take some responsibility for the players being able to do this for so long with virtually NO oversight and weak drug testing policies?  THEY enabled it to happen, presumably because it brought offensive excitement to what was a dead ball era prior and they were loving it until the players got caught and then they pretended they had no knowledge of anything.  Please...they KNEW what was going on and they turned a blind eye towards it.  But now they want to make the players involved to be pariahs when they were the ones who enabled it?

Complete hypocrisy on MLB's part.

It's not MLB's doing, it's the press.  The baseball writers association holds all the votes.  So you probably have a handful of folks in there who made there name writing about Clemens and Bonds but now refuse to vote for them.  So yes, there's hypocrisy, but it's not the league.  Thanks to the wonderful system these fools have had running for years, we now can say that the two highest vote getters of all time are a closer and a SS who was never the best at his position in the game and who never won an MVP.  I don't want to take anything away from these guys as players, but it's completely crazy to think that anyone should have a better voter response than true legends like Ruth, Williams, or Aaron.  I'm sure it was a different system than when they were voted in, but I just don't see these two as the rightful players where they finally made the decision to get over the refusal for unanimity. 

And as for the steroid stuff, I don't know how any player from that era can be above the level of suspicion.  I'm of the mind that every single player was juicing.  I'm sure it was much closer to all than it was to none.  They'll praise this guy and that guy for never juicing, guys who also bulked up significantly from their early years.  But hey, these guys were nice to certain media members, so we won't question them.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, shrader said:

It's not MLB's doing, it's the press.  The baseball writers association holds all the votes.  So you probably have a handful of folks in there who made there name writing about Clemens and Bonds but now refuse to vote for them.  So yes, there's hypocrisy, but it's not the league.  Thanks to the wonderful system these fools have had running for years, we now can say that the two highest vote getters of all time are a closer and a SS who was never the best at his position in the game and who never won an MVP.  I don't want to take anything away from these guys as players, but it's completely crazy to think that anyone should have a better voter response than true legends like Ruth, Williams, or Aaron.  I'm sure it was a different system than when they were voted in, but I just don't see these two as the rightful players where they finally made the decision to get over the refusal for unanimity. 

And as for the steroid stuff, I don't know how any player from that era can be above the level of suspicion.  I'm of the mind that every single player was juicing.  I'm sure it was much closer to all than it was to none.  They'll praise this guy and that guy for never juicing, guys who also bulked up significantly from their early years.  But hey, these guys were nice to certain media members, so we won't question them.

Very valid points...

14 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

He was very good in Montréal before he ended up in Colorado.

It looks like there was a big spike in his power numbers once he got to Colorado.  That just happens to be right around the same time that two who should not be named had a home run race that no one likes to talk to.  I'm not interested in casting any doubt on Walker because like I said earlier, as far as I'm concerned, every single player was juicing... even the scrawniest dude out there.  Actually, I suspect that guy the most.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.